Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I honestly dont see how they could get away with having the 4G base model just a 3G 16GB. They really should add the camera. I understand that they cant get a 4G for $199 but im pretty sure they can manage the cameras. I am positive that the $199 is their top selling model and if its just a 3G with absolutely no update other than storage, they will lose aton of customers. Especially around Christmas.

I personally think that all the 3rd generations will be removed. Also, on the assumption that they do have a different look (like the iphone :)), then would they even want the third generation on the shelf as they would look pitiful by comparison. If they keep the same design, then they can sit together. I hope for the redesign myself as the back camera doesn't seem likely without it.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I personally think that all the 3rd generations will be removed. Also, on the assumption that they do have a different look (like the iphone :)), then would they even want the third generation on the shelf as they would look pitiful by comparison. If they keep the same design, then they can sit together. I hope for the redesign myself as the back camera doesn't seem likely without it.

I hope you're right. The $199 price point and lower storage model is more appealing to me, as I'll be buying two (me and my wife). But if the $199 is nothing but a 3rd gen, there's no point. Then I'm going to feel like it's a waste to spend 200 on that, when another 100 bucks gets me everything else. I think a LOT of folks will feel this way. I mean, the reason the current 8GB sells, is because it's honestly not a far cry from the 32GB and 64GB aside from the obvious storage difference. For people that don't feel they need 32GB, and there are a lot of them out there, the 8GB is fine. But if the next gen has a 3rd gen 16gb sitting there next to a 32gb with cameras, and a super display, and a gyroscope, and a faster cpu, and a re-design, I don't know if it's going to sell much at all. I'm not even sure it would push people to spend the extra money for the 32GB. They might not buy at all if $199/$249 is their spending limit. They may just walk away and start looking at what else is out there (albeit, not much, but the average consumer doesn't know any better).

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Honestly they wont sell many, if any of the 3G's if they are actual 3G's. You could probably get a 2nd gen 16GB for like $150. A faster processor speed and whatever else isnt a big deal.... Whats the other update from 2G-3G?

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Honestly they wont sell many, if any of the 3G's if they are actual 3G's. You could probably get a 2nd gen 16GB for like $150. A faster processor speed and whatever else isnt a big deal.... Whats the other update from 2G-3G?

More RAM, more capabilities with iOS 4, Open ES GL support (Means better graphics). ;);)

theRkid

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
I honestly dont see how they could get away with having the 4G base model just a 3G 16GB. They really should add the camera. I understand that they cant get a 4G for $199 but im pretty sure they can manage the cameras. I am positive that the $199 is their top selling model and if its just a 3G with absolutely no update other than storage, they will lose aton of customers. Especially around Christmas.

Most of the customers are parents who are buying for their kids though. I don't think most kids care, they just want the thing. So that's not a big deal for Apple. Those people are the general people and not us...we're the ones with knowledge.

If they did keep it a 3g as the base model, then I think that they might add a camera, but make it the prototype that was supposed to be released last year. So we would get a camera for baseline, but not all of the goods. The real 4gs would get the redesign and all of the good stuff.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Most of the customers are parents who are buying for their kids though. I don't think most kids care, they just want the thing. So that's not a big deal for Apple. Those people are the general people and not us...we're the ones with knowledge.

If they did keep it a 3g as the base model, then I think that they might add a camera, but make it the prototype that was supposed to be released last year. So we would get a camera for baseline, but not all of the goods. The real 4gs would get the redesign and all of the good stuff.

The kids want the thing, but when they find out it can't load certain apps or when they find out their friend bought a newer, better ipod touch just a month later that can take pictures they will be begging for the new one as soon as they find out. Apple could actually sell 2 models to uniformed buyers one right after the other, because when kids start whining for the better one, they don't stop until its obtained. If they had one ipod on the shelf without a camera and one with a camera the one without would just be a gateway to the one with the camera especially for a kid who doesn't yet have a camera phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.