Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnorris235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
My home made movie has the umbrella of the light showing in one top corner. If this were a photo I could brush it out. Can you do the same in a movie?
I heard that if you use a green screen, you dont need it to be full width as long as it covers the actor, because you can simply extend the green to full width afterwards. Again easy to make wider and then fill in Photos.
This is using all the latest OSX, iMovie etc, doing a studio shot.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
yes, you can - depending on the shot. but probably not in imovie, you'd at least need motion for this. like in your greenscreen example, if the shot is locked down (no moving camera) and the error doesn't cover the actor, just make a still, brush it out in photoshop or pixelmator and then replace that part in the movie (with masks or mattes) - finally add some noise to the still image, and you're done. if it's a moving shot, it's doable, but you have to rotoscope (paint by hand) every frame, which is tedious work and can be pretty hard, depending on your background. often, you can also get away by creating a clean matte ("brushing the error out") and then motion-track the image (e.g. with after effects) and combine the brushed out picture with your tracked motion so it moves with the camera move). sometimes things like the "wire removal tool" in after effects works for small errors.

anyways, if it's not a static shot, it's probably not worth the hassle. have you tried cropping the image? if it was at least shot in full-hd, nobody won't notice if it's a little zoomed in as long as it doesn't destroy your framing.

btw. you don't have to "extend the green" on a greenscreen shot, it's only the background behind the actor that will be handled by the chroma keyer (software that replaces a color with transparency) anything else can just be masked out.

Last edited:

jnorris235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I had not understood you could crop, and of course overlay, as in green screen. So if i can have a third track and green screen that, then maybe im there. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.