BTO Ship to Store Delivery Times

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chazmink, Jun 29, 2012.

1. chazmink macrumors member

I ordered a 13" i7 w/8gb yesterday and had it shipped to the Christiana, DE store. The delivery estimate is July 11 vice 1-3 days for home delivery. I am curious if anyone knows if the delivery estimate is real or if they might beat it.

Stay cool. Hot here in South Jersey today!

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Quoted 8 days, arrived in 7. FedEx.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I ordered my CTO MBA on a Monday and it was at the Apple Store on Friday. I did pay for expedited shipping though.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

When you ship to store you don't pick the shipping method. Typically people have been saying a week for ship to store...not the 2 it quotes

5. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

This is an interesting question and an issue I too have been following. On the other forum threads, I'm seeing people claim only 5 days from the date they ordered their MBA to the time it was ready to pick up. These obviously were BTO units. However, I am now at day 5 and my status still says "Processing." It seems that when you ship to the store, status remains "Processing" until it is "Ready for Pickup." I did see a post yesterday, however, that implied the time span had recently slipped to 6 days. So, I'm hoping my status gets moved to "Ready for Pickup" tomorrow. I must check the status page 10 times a day. :eek:

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I can confirm it goes straight to ready for pick up. When you even click the arrow next to where it say "processing" the shipping step is completely absent.

7. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

Woah...you are right. I didn't even notice that. :eek:

8. tsboy69 macrumors regular

I ordered my BTO on 6/19 - and the website show'd the Air will be ready to pick up on the 29th.

On the 24th, I checked at noon and it was still 'processing'. At 215 I checked again, and it was ready to pick up. No mention of any shipping.

My only clue was the invoice copy, although dated on the 19th - the credit card and gift card was charged on the 22nd.

It'll be threre!!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... same for me.

10. dels macrumors member

Ordered 13/8/256/i5 on the 21st. Got notification today that it is ready for pickup.

11. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

Just a hypothesis at this point as I've only seen three posts that indicate the invoice date (date the charge for the unit hit the credit card), but it would seem that the invoice date is generally falling two days prior to the "ready for pickup" date. Yes? :confused:

12. tsboy69 macrumors regular

You are correct Sir! And five days early (at least in my case). Very happy so far!

13. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

Very cool! So, using all the recent clues of my order now being 6 days out and that I was invoiced two days ago, I'm expecting to see a "Ready for Pickup" notification today, during one of the 500 times I check the order status page. :D

14. new-to-mac macrumors regular

I ordered on 20/jun and expected delivery is today 30/jun. I'm checking the status every 15 mins!!!!

15. Weaselboy, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct. I had expedited checked and it looks like it went away when I changed to store pickup. :)

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Ordered the 13/i7/8/256 config from bhphotovideo.com on late Tuesday night and it was delivered yesterday. Got AppleCare for $95, free parallels, and no sales tax. Anyone looking for that config I highly recommend you get yours from B&H. You'll end up getting it faster than you would direct from Apple and, apples to apples, its about $400 cheaper after tax.

17. jksu macrumors regular

about 1 week

2012 mba 13" i5/8/256 w/thunderbolt ethernet

$100 back to school arrived in 2 days

laptop took 7 days, 4 days to build, 3 days to ship from shanghai->alaska->los angeles via fedex

18. BkkChris macrumors newbie

I ordered an 13/i5/8/256 on the 26th. Just received an email saying due to an unexpected delay my order will not be ready to ship for another week... Guess we will see what happens.

19. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

I know, me too. If I were to step back from this for a moment, I would realize how ridiculous I am being...but that is all part of the fun. Isn't there some saying about how a watched pot never boils?

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the day they bill you is the day it actually ships. Also, the good thing about in store pick up is that it could happen on any day, even Sundays.

21. chazmink thread starter macrumors member

I tried to order from B&H and asked to be notified when the i7/8/256 13" was available but never heard back. I have no need for parallels but their AppleCare deal was attractive. No tax at the Christiana, DE store. Additionally since I qualify for military/government pricing I saved another seventy bucks. Bottom line was $1629 to store.

22. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

So, here is the full schedule, from order, to notification, to invoicing to ready for pickup. Hopefully this will give some of you a better idea of what to expect as you eagerly await the arrival of your new computer.

Sunday, June 24th - Placed order through the online Apple Store (11", 8GB Ram, i7, 128GB SSD) Stated pickup date to be on Friday, July 6.

Monday, June 25th - Received notification by email that my back to school gift card was ready for pickup. "Wow, that was fast. It is only the gift card though so that doesn't mean anything about my actual computer."

Thursday, June 28th - Charge for the MBA hit my credit card. "Cool, any day now!" :D

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, June 29 - July 1 - Painful waiting while I had set my expectations that the MBA would be here by Friday, no? OK, Saturday, no still? OK, Sunday for sure. No? :confused: "In process, in process, in process -- refresh, refresh, refresh! Must be some mistake."

Monday, July 2 - Logged into my Apple account to check the order status for the 500th time and it finally moved to "Ready for Pickup." Whoo hoo! :D

One of my suspicions is that while BTO products may get to their location sooner if you set your delivery to pick up in store, I suspect that the actual store itself is involved in that last step of registering the product as "Ready for pickup." It may well have been there a day or two before they changed the status. Given it was probably another crazy busy weekend at the Apple Store, they may not have gotten to this last step until today.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

just to add to that. BTO's will arrive faster if you ship it to your house, but if you pick in store, it arrives about a 5-7 days earlier than the estimate date. The estimate for in store pick up is about a week after the earliest day if you ship with expedient to your house. For example, if you ordered on the 24th with ship to your house and fast shipping, it would arrive between the 29th-2nd. With in store it tells you the 6th, but actually comes on the 2nd. More than likely it would have been to your house on friday vs monday in store

24. new-to-mac macrumors regular

Dissapointed with Apple

Actually I am very dissapointed with Apple. I ordered on the 20th June and pick up date says 30th June. Saturday no update on the website so I call the store and they say it is there. I say great and will come by on Sunday. I show up and no laptop is there!!! Today the website still shows 30th June and I still haven't received any email.

I confirmed my CC has been debited and also the store confirmed this. What's up with this? Honestly for all those raving about Apple's customer service. My (first) impression is it sucks

I would expect that either
    1) the website shows accurate information
    2) the customer service rep who i spoke to on the phone checks correctly and is able to provide some valid information

Note: the guy at the store was actually helpful but right now I am pissed off:mad:

25. Knightimer, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Knightimer macrumors member

Still waiting.

I had my BTO 13/8gig/256 shipped to Christiana, DE store. I ordered it on June 25th. I was hoping to see a ready for pick up. I was also quoted the July 6th commitment time. I hope it's ready tomorrow....argh. I am not mad at Apple or Fedex. If you think about it, the combined supply chain from distribution to delivery is pretty amazing. We all have to remember that custom BTO and delivery from China to the stores or to someones house is pretty amazing. A week or less is pretty darn good...as most folks are reporting delivery way earlier than estimated time...