Budget iPhone - qwerty keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xplicit iPhone, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Qwerty keyboard iphone?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2013.
  1. Nice idea, but couldn't see apple doing it

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. If apple released a phone like this I would buy it!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What are you on about? Go die

32 vote(s)
    84.2%
  1. Xplicit iPhone macrumors newbie

I've been wondering this for some time, why don't apple have a qwerty keyboard phone? I mean I love the whole ios interface but I just hate the onscreen keyboard

But anyway I just thought what if the budget iphone was like the blackberry bold, I thought that'd be pretty cool, just a thought anyway.

And for those people who are thinking; " why don't you buy a qwerty keyboard add on" - I don't particularly like typing landscape, I never do

"Why don't you buy a blackberry/ qwerty keyboard phone?" - because I like the ios system lol

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It really won't happen. If anything we will lose the home button and be left with 3 hardware buttons.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This thread doesn't make sense. The iPhone does have a qwerty kbd, unless what u really mean is a physical kbd.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

a separate qwerty keyboard would make the iPhon thicker. No way would apple make the phone thicker.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can't see Apple or any other maker introducing a physical keyboard. They have pretty much gone the way of the dodo.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Blackberry just released a hardware kb phone in the last month

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

And looking at Balckberry, they seem to be going the way of the dodo too.

Not saying that a hardware keyboard is a bad thing, I just think the demand is so low that it isn't profitable enough. I feel like most would rather just have the big screen. Legs face it, most of us spend way less time typing than doing anything else on our phone.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The input method for a small portable is what is. At time one would like the convertible to behave like a touring sedan but annoying real life interviens.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The day of the tiny, difficult to use, limiting, physical keyboard is over. Thank goodness. It takes up too much real estate anyway. Now the dodo birds, they were cool...... :cool:

10. Sparticu$ macrumors member

Budget iPhone - qwerty keyboard?

I disagree on the typing part that's all I do on my phone. I don't mind the iOS keyboard though I've been on touchscreens for a while and the iPhone is the best hands down. It's autocorrect works very well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

11. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

If Apple can get SwiftKey then I set no reason for a physical keyboard.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPhone has a qwerty keyboard.
    Unless you are talking about physical keyboard? :D

13. Xplicit iPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah physical keyboard guys. No idea why but I just couldn't think of the word.

Nice to see people's replies though. I my self never had a problem typing a small keyboard but I guess majority of people did since big screen is way forward

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

A budget iphone is supposed to have the extra expense of a kick out keyboard? Have you seriously thought about this?

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

"Most of us". Are you disagreeing that most people don't spend most of their time typing on their phones based only on your own personal usage statistics? :confused:

16. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I find myself not using the key board to send messages. Your thinking in the wrong direction.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

Incredibly amusing :D

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but I doubt it will be a big seller.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly I think it'll sell. Not in gs4 or iphone numbers but bb's and there clicky keyboard have a big following.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A physical keyboard =/= budget. I don't think Apple will go that route, ever.

21. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Most of that following are owners of two devices a BB/iPhone or BB/Android.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Think some more on the matter. What one person wants != what the masses want. How much demand is there for a physical keyboard on an iPhone? That's the important question you're overlooking. Apple perceives insufficient demand is your answer.

23. Xplicit iPhone thread starter macrumors newbie

Not being funny but do you think apple really care much about what you want? Most of their devices/software is based about what they say, and what theysay truly does go. So I find that point invalid

----------

It would have a smaller screen so yes I have :confused:

24. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I would prefer a landscape slider keyboard like the HTC Desire Z. I prefer them over the BlackBerry portrait keyboards for a variety of reasons.

I never liked the BB keyboard phones. The reason is that the keys just seem too close together for my liking. My first smartphone was a Nokia N97. It is a landscape slider. I like it because when I'm not using the keyboard, I still get the entire screen's real estate. When I need to type, the keyboard slides out and does not obscure any part of the screen unlike touch screen keyboards. The landscape slider form factor allows for a larger keyboard and space in between the keys. I find that with the BB keyboard, I'm always hitting the wrong key because the keys are so close together. The N97 has space between keys, so I find that I make fewer errors.