Bug found typing my girlfriend's name. Seriously!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nutts, Aug 23, 2008.

1. nutts macrumors member

All this time I thought it was my bad typing, but I've just had a friend confirm it on his iPhone too (both running 2.02). I tried it in Safari (google search box), in SMS and in Mail.

Try typing: sayaka
    The last 'a' is just impossible to type the first time - the 's' key gets depressed even though my finger is nowhere near it! Mine now suggests her name as a popup auto-correction, but that's got to be the strangest bug I've seen!

Anybody else seeing it? If so I'll report it to Apple.
    Thanks!

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wow, you're right. no matter how far left I moved my finger, it typed an 'S'. However, once I backspaced over the 'S' it let me type an 'A'.

Strange.

Hey, try typing "Yo" :p

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I tired and the same thing happens for me!
    Strange bug indeed, you should report it to Apple!

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Haha, That's crazy!!! No matter how far over I have my finger (even attacking from the side) I can not type an 'a'! I can delete the 's' it puts on and then type an 'a', but if I am typing the name from scratch I can't type an 'a'... And I thought you had really lost it! :eek:

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Woah, that's pretty cool. Just tried it. One of the most improbable finds. neat.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I bet it's a "feature". Seriously, I'd be willing to bet it's done that way programmatically to help the spell check program. I'd be really curious to find out, but I bet we never will.

7. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You probably mispelled it then. I tried other variations and it works, but once I type in that exact order....can't type the 'A'.

Just tried SayQka and it wouldn't let me type the 'A'. Seems no matter what the 4th letter is, if the 5th is a 'K' it won't let you choose an 'A' for the sixth.

9. aphexii macrumors 6502

Actually it IS a feature per say. When Apple first announced the first gen iPhone, they explained how the keyboard can adjust the size of the hit area for each key based on the internal dictionary. If your nearly complete in spelling a word, it will effectively double the hit area for that letter to improve accuracy.

For example, lets say you type 'Bicycle'. By the time you enter Bicycl, when you go to hit the last 'e', the hit area for that letter is comparatively huge compared to when you first started typing.

Obviously its not working well in this situation (or in any situation where a name or word is not in the dictionary), but overall its designed to improve accuracy and for the most part it works fairly well.

10. nutts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your quick replies :)

As aphexii said, it is probably something to do with typing optimisation, but strange that such a feature can completely disallow you to press a different key from the one they think you want. Especially because it's not like 'sayaks' is an actual word after all!

Anyway I've now submitted a report to Apple. Lets see what happens :apple:

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

yep:)

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah I had to teach it yo, still trys to do you or to every now and then...

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

14. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

took the words out of my mouth!
    it's not a bug

15. moka macrumors 6502a

um, i was able to type sayaka with no problems... maybe that means my iphone is a little more intelligent than yours? lol....

16. aphexii macrumors 6502

Or stupid if you look at it from the perspective of my post above. Ours is at least trying to spell check, yours on the other hand... ;)

17. cintari macrumors newbie

hold it down

if you hold your finger on the a then you can press it. you just cant tap it

18. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I was able to type "sayaka" without any issue or auto-correction going on in the Google search tool or SMS. Shrug.

19. nutts thread starter macrumors member

As I said I think you're correct about the logic and the reason it's happening, but I still think it's a bug of some sort. After all there is no such word as 'sayaks' (or 'sayqks' as somebody else pointed out) - check google, just 100-odd results - whereas there are over 3 million results for 'sayaka'.

So I think their spellcheck is a bit wonky if nothing else ;)

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Holding it down just gives the other options for the 'S' key.

Perhaps it's a setting that some have turned on/off. The only change I can think of that I've made is to turn on caps-lock.

Oh, and mine is jailbroken w/ the glossy keyboard.

21. davidgrimm macrumors regular

Feature???

Maybe your girl dated an Apple engineer and then dumped him. So he programed the phone to never type her name correctly to get even?

Hey, it could happen...

22. vega07 macrumors 65816

works for me. and no, i did not spell sakaya wrong.

23. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Sayaka....worked fine for me despite the keyboard lag when posting on the forum....I have notice a lot more lag since 2.0.2 but idk let us know what they say!!

24. davyreins macrumors 6502