Bugs found in Leopard from someone who recently switched.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oban14, Mar 13, 2008.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

1) In Safari, when I try to send a fairly large attachment (6-8 megs) with gmail, it hoses my entire router. This behavior doesn't happen with my PCs behind the same firewall/router. This also doesn't happen if I use firefox.

2) Certain domains just aren't routable. Try a traceroute, and it's simply "no route found to host". Couldn't find any fix despite a lot of googling. These sites are largely random and they all work from XP.

3) In Chess, if you change the voice type to "Hilarious" the game will crash on the computer's first move.

2. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This one is probably more on Adobe, but I have all my CS3 apps set to use spaces in screen 4. They never go there until I actually open a new file - just opening the app isn't enough.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

For the Traceroute, did you try to go to secured IPs or any IP? Also, you might have to port forward for that. (Not sure, since you didn't mention your router type).

Whenever I send a large file via Gmail on Safari, it doesn't hose my router. Then again I have an Airport Extreme, so... Besides, why use Gmail on Safari when you have the Mail.app?

The chess thing... That bug has been out for a while, but it's a video game. Also, why would you enable the speaking abilities?

4. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This only happens on certain, seemingly random domains. If you google you'll find that a lot of leopard users are also having this problem. No secure IP stuff, and it happens under firefox and safari.

I prefer the gmail interface to mail.app. I haven't used an email program since the late 90s outside of the workplace.

The reason I use the speaking abilities is because I like to hear them.

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I recommend switching to the Mail.app for Gmail, it'll save your router's life. Besides, it's a great app!

For the other things, I really can't tell you much.

And the "Hilarious" voice is just a guy laughing on what he says... Kinda dumb.

6. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not interested in local email clients. I like to be able to access my email from any computer anywhere in the world. Also, the problem isn't my router: It's Safari. I just use Firefox and everything works fine. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Whether the "hilarious" voice is dumb or not doesn't matter - either remove it from the program or fix the bug.

The biggest issue is the "no route found to host" that happens on sporadic web sites. Very frustrating, and again, I know it's OSX - it doesn't work under any browser, but works fine from XP.

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Just FYI: You can use Mail.app with Gmail -- have a rich local client and still access your email from any computer with Gmail. I've used Gmail as my SPAM filter and remote access system for a couple years now, while using both Thunderbird and Mail.app as local clients.

This applies to any web mail service, like .Mac and Yahoo.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

That is NOT a Leopard bug - you have a network configuration or router issue.

9. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, this absolutely is a problem with leopard. google it and you'll find people with these problems through all versions of leopard. these same sites can be reached via linux, xp and openbsd through the same router/network. I'd provide links but am writing this from a treo. I wish people here were less about defending/denying issues and more about helping towards a resolution.

10. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Maybe you should just switch back to windows. Then make a list of all the windows bugs. That will take months to do. Now stop trying to make leopard seem like a terrible operating system because you can't hear a voice.

And since when does leopard has multiple versions?

11. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Edit: NVM

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

He's right, you know. It's in the EULA. Mac ownership prohibits you from even noticing weaknesses, flaws or bugs in OS X or Apple applications -- not that there are any. And if there were issues with OS X (which there aren't), publicly commenting on them means Apple's authorized to send the iRepo team to reclaim your Mac (as you're unworthy).

So keep these blasphemous notions to yourself. You're part of the iFaith now, where critical thought is not just discouraged, it's unnecessary -- everything Apple is perfect!

:)

(and if you do want to grumble, there's a million-page thread for "things you hate" that's just itching for your comments...)

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I'm not defending any one platform over another. I did google this since I have had not experienced this issue. Thing is, I googled it and didn't find any huge number of results/threads/posts/links, etc. I see a few related to client applications and one post that really sticks out:

Which I think is mostly true. In order for one to say "IT IS" a leopard bug, then it needs to NOT work in every installation of Leopard. If you gave examples of ones that fail, maybe some of us can try. Then if it is a bug it should brake on our machines. If not, then it's a configuration of some sorts.

Post an example of the traceroute issue. I'm curious on this one.

14. Nick T. macrumors regular

Due to the errors in this post it should be obvious to all that DaveF is at the very least a switcher, and possibly (probably?) a covert M$ agent.

Apple does NOT have EULAs! Apple uses Software License Agreements.

Apple does NOT "send the iRepo team to reclaim your Mac (as you're unworthy)." In actuality Apple alerts its huge Apple Fanboi force to attack your posts and persona as you're an object of derision.

15. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm honestly curious about the network routing issue as well; I maintain a fair number of machines and haven't ever seen something like this myself, so if there are any publicly accessible IP addresses showing this issue that you could post for me and others to bounce our systems off of, I'd really appreciate it.

The attachment/router issue isn't one I've seen even when pushing very large files around, but I assume it's hardware-specific--what model/brand is your router? (That might also narrow down what is causing the IP routing issues.)

Relax. This thread isn't a rant, he's having a few issues and is looking for advice. Totally legitimate, and not platform specific.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

In all fairness to the other posters they have been offering you solutions to your problems and you are the one who's defying their help. It's been brought up several times for you to use Mail.app for Gmail and you can still access your email remotely and you keep saying you're not interested in doing that so take the advice and learn to be more appreciative rather than slamming people for defending Leopard. The help given by the forums members is not a requirement.

17. Rdy2change macrumors newbie

Some of you guys need to drop your guard a bit; is there some sort of code of silence on OS-X problems?

Networking issue does seem to be configuration related but it would be interesting to see taceroutes to same IP\name from both your XP client and OS-X.

Safari hasn't somehow been configured to run through a proxy?

18. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Drats! Outed! :eek:

(Switched last summer to a MBP. But it still has WinXP via BootCamp & Parallels, so I shout out "unclean!" when entering the Apple Store.)

19. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

More like in Gattaca, your an "InValid"??? :D

20. Golcondio macrumors member

I have THE SAME NETWORKING ISSUE.

It all started one week ago, when I finally went and installed the 10.5.2 update on my SR MBP 2.2.

I can't access Google (.com, .it, gmail, maps, whatever), Yahoo and other random sites.

Everything worked fine before the update (network properly configured).

It's not a router issue because under Bootcamp/XP and DamnSmallLinux I can browse without any problems whatsoever.

For me, Gmail isn't accessible from Mail.app anymore.

I thought it was a DNS problem, so I switched to OpenDNS, to no avail.
    I changed the MTU from 1500 (default) to 1492 and even 1000, but the problem persists.
    I changed the connection protocol from PPPoE - LLC (which had worked fine until then) to PPPoA -VMux: nothing.
    I used Leopard Cache Cleaner, I repaired permissions, zapped the PRAM, but nothing.

If I try this:
    Code:
    $ route monitor

got message of size 128 on Thu Apr 10 18:56:51 2008
    RTM_LOSING: Kernel Suspects Partitioning: len 128, pid: 0, seq 0, errno 0, flags:<UP,HOST,DONE,LLINFO,WASCLONED>
    locks:  inits: 
    sockaddrs: <DST,GATEWAY>
     192.168.1.254 0.4.ed.6e.67.ac

I don't know what this means...

I noticed some quite rude behaviour in the thread, which was uncalled for: maybe the OP wasn't completely clear in his description of the problem, maybe it's excessive to call out "BUG!!!" at the first problem encountered, but the reaction has been frankly excessive.

As far as I'm concerned, I love Leopard but I'm already backing up all my important data and, if I can't find a solution in one week's time I'll wipe the HD clean and revert to Tiger (my refurb MBP came with Tiger Retail and Leopard Upgrade, which means I at least have a choice...).

21. alFR macrumors 68020

Hi, could you post examples so others can check this on their machines please? Also, could you post your router brand/model?

Can you post the results of a traceroute to Google from your machine please?

22. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I too use web-based GMail as my primary mail client (sorry Mail.app fans, I find web-based GMail easier to use for my purposes than Mail.app) and I've noticed this same issue with Safari. I've also noticed times when Safari does not open an embedded link successfully unless I right-click on the link and open it in another tab. Because of these issues along with the recent Safari vulnerability (PWNED) I currently use Firefox version 3.0b5 as my default web browser under OS X 10.5.2.

I've never noticed these, but if you send me one of these domains I will try it from my Mac.

Confirmed! I sent a crash report to Apple. Nice catch.

23. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You don't find this hilarious?

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If Gmail doesn't work in Leopard, it's not a bug in Leopard, it's a bug in Gmail. I'm just saying.

That said, I've never had a problem sending large attachments in Gmail in Leopard. This suggests it's a problem with your local configuration of Gmail, not a bug in Leopard.

25. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa