Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAFD1450

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Somwhere in Iraq
I can't add much to the knowledge on networking; I can however add my agreement that Leopard is less tolerant of crappy connections. On my way to Iraq I had to stop in Kuwait for 3 weeks. They had free internet and all my windows buddies were cruising along (Slowly) with the crappy internet, but when I connected some pages worked, some did not. It seemed to clear up at about 2 am when no one was on the net and I had a more stable connection. Is it possible that you have a slow/crappy connection or a slowly dying router?

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
I can't add much to the knowledge on networking; I can however add my agreement that Leopard is less tolerant of crappy connections. On my way to Iraq I had to stop in Kuwait for 3 weeks. They had free internet and all my windows buddies were cruising along (Slowly) with the crappy internet, but when I connected some pages worked, some did not. It seemed to clear up at about 2 am when no one was on the net and I had a more stable connection. Is it possible that you have a slow/crappy connection or a slowly dying router?

Doesn't seem too crappy for me... but I will surely try and connect to other networks to see if anything changes...

BTW, is the Linux kernel as tolerant as Wondows? Because I don't have problems connecting to the internet with a live distro...

EDIT: ping count to router 1000/1000, and 0% packet drop.

EDIT2: ping count to http://www.google.com 1000/1000, 0% packet drop

SAFD1450

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Somwhere in Iraq
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything bad, I was just trying to help with my very limited experience. I just noticed the similarities between your problem and mine experienced in Kuwait. Now that I am in Iraq and have my satellite my internet is more stable. I did notice though that the problem in my case was not the router at all, it was the internet service.

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything bad, I was just trying to help with my very limited experience. I just noticed the similarities between your problem and mine experienced in Kuwait. Now that I am in Iraq and have my satellite my internet is more stable. I did notice though that the problem in my case was not the router at all, it was the internet service.

No offense taken! I actually spent more than 1 year with a UMTS connection, using my cellphone as a modem: THAT was crappy!

EDIT: now I can't reach http://www.google.com anymore, AGAIN. BUT I can still trace a route to it...

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
BUMP: google coming and going, the Dilbert widget can't fetch the comic strips anymore (but when I click on it, it correctly sends me to the website... strange...)

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
I would try disabling ethernet all together in the Networking section of System Preferences. You can safely delete it from the available networking ports without losing the ability to easily re-add it later on if you need to use ethernet.

I only say this because I find it incredibly irregular that any traceroute you make would default to using en0 (built in ethernet) over your airport connection (en1). Best to take the ethernet out of the picture all-together.

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
I tried...

Here's the result:

Code:
lft -V  www.google.com
Layer Four Traceroute (LFT) version 2.5
LFT: UDP connect(); unable to determine interface: Connection refused
Using device fw0, ioctl: Can't assign requested address
broadcasthost (255.255.255.255):53
SENT TTL=0 SEQ=2075534372 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=1 SEQ=2075534373 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=2 SEQ=2075534374 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=3 SEQ=2075534375 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=4 SEQ=2075534376 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=0 SEQ=2075534377 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=1 SEQ=2075534378 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=2 SEQ=2075534379 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=3 SEQ=2075534380 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=4 SEQ=2075534381 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=5 SEQ=2075534382 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=6 SEQ=2075534383 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=7 SEQ=2075534384 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
SENT TTL=8 SEQ=2075534385 FLAGS=0x2 ( SYN )
TTL LFT trace to nf-in-f99.google.com (64.233.183.99):80/tcp
**  [80/tcp failed]  Try alternate options or use -V to see packets.

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
Are you really using IP over Firewire?

A.
Exactly my point: I can't understand why, priority-wise, the Airport isn't the first selected...
The fw0 interface became the default after I disabled ethernet en0, which I never used anyway (I've had my MBP for 3 months, and always connected through the Airport)...

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Exactly my point: I can't understand why, priority-wise, the Airport isn't the first selected...

The symptoms seem like you are losing your wireless connection. If your Airport is the first interface in the service order it should be used first - if the wireless connection can be made. Otherwise Leopard is going to try other interfaces if they are enabled.

Leopard isn't running any dynamic routing protocol, it only knows the one default route to your router. When Leopard says 'no route to host', that's an indication that your one working interface has gone down and it can no longer talk to your router..

You can verify the service order in System Preferences/Network and clicking on the gear icon in the lower left. You can also force the other interfaces to inactive if they aren't already. At least that will eliminate some variables.

A.

Golcondio

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Italy
My wireless connection seems to work perfectly (Azureus has no problems at all), and it 's "only" a few sites...

I checked and Airport hs always been top in interfaces priority.
I deleted all the others anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Summary:

I can trace http://www.google.com with lft.
Sometimes I can connect to it (and of course use the traceroute command), sometimes not.
Gmail: while I'm writing this, I managed to connect (just once, mind you), enter my username/password, and get the same "can't extablish a network connection" error. Now I can't even access the front page.
I still can't trace a route to it, not even with lft.

Any ideas? Apart from wiping clean and installing Tiger (which would give me the benefit of a stabler performance with Logic 8)?

MaccasW007

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Guest I found the biggest bugs in OSX of Vistas, is probably the widgets. Why are there two dialogs for each of my programs on Leopard AND NOW VISTA!!!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.