MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

153414-snow_leopard_question.jpg

Apple today seeded Build 10F569 of Mac OS X 10.6.4 to developers. The new build comes six days after the last seed and continues to list no known issues with the update. As with the last several developers builds, testers are asked to once again focus their efforts on Graphics Drivers, SMB, USB, Voice Over, and VPN.

Seeding of Mac OS X 10.6.4 began in late April and today's build represents the eighth version pushed out to developers for testing.

A public release of Mac OS X 10.6.4 had been rumored to occur during last week's Worldwide Developers Conference, but Apple appears to still be putting the final touches on the next maintenance update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. The most recent public version of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.3, was released in late March.

Article Link: Build 10F569 of Mac OS X 10.6.4 Seeded to Developers

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I hope this fixes the freeze problems in the 2010 MacBook Pros.

I want to buy a new laptop, but after watching Apple's quality slide through the years–hello Yellow iMacs screen and laptop with heat and screen problems–I have been trained to wait.

I hope Apple fixes the issues soon, if they can, and it's not hardware issues.

Comment

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Oh COME ON already... I don't care if the graphics are upside down, as long as this fixes the SMB write support that's been broken for five effing months.

Comment

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008

I want to buy a new laptop, but after watching Apple's quality slide through the years–hello Yellow iMacs screen and laptop with heat and screen problems–I have been trained to wait.

I was thinking about upgrading - is this a widespread issue?

Comment

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005

IMO their hardware quality has improved, compared to the early and mid 2000's (broken TiBook hinges, bulging PB batteries, cracking Cubes etc). The software is another story though. Leopard was a paradigm shift... after the introduction of Leopard it seems they never get it right. Always one or two critical bugs in there, and for every one they fix, a new one appears. Leopard was the first version of OS X I used extensively, and this whole "Mac - it just works" thing must be referring to a mythical pre-Leopard past...

Comment

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I agree with Anuba. It took me forever to realize that there was a defect with my G4 ibook. I even went to the genius bar a few times and they never said anything about said defect. Now I have a new mac, and it all easy breezy *knock on wood.

Comment

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Another Week?

Damn! I was hoping for it to come out tomorrow - Tuesday - but now it will probably be next Tuesday. Or maybe Friday.

Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
IMO their hardware quality has improved, compared to the early and mid 2000's (broken TiBook hinges, bulging PB batteries, cracking Cubes etc). The software is another story though. Leopard was a paradigm shift... after the introduction of Leopard it seems they never get it right. Always one or two critical bugs in there, and for every one they fix, a new one appears. Leopard was the first version of OS X I used extensively, and this whole "Mac - it just works" thing must be referring to a mythical pre-Leopard past...

Not really. Leopard for me has been their most stable release and I've been using macs since Mac OS 7. Must be something about you. Snow Leopard is also quite stable, but I consider it the same as Leopard, not a new OS.

Comment

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I agree with Anuba. It took me forever to realize that there was a defect with my G4 ibook. I even went to the genius bar a few times and they never said anything about said defect. Now I have a new mac, and it all easy breezy *knock on wood.

I think both of you are wrong i've never had a problem with either software nor hardware :/

Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Damn! I was hoping for it to come out tomorrow - Tuesday - but now it will probably be next Tuesday. Or maybe Friday.

Yeah it won't come tomorrow for sure. The Server version isn't even out yet on ADC. I'd say next Tuesday with another release on Friday to test on the weekend.

Comment

mrial

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Not really. Leopard for me has been their most stable release and I've been using macs since Mac OS 7. Must be something about you. Snow Leopard is also quite stable, but I consider it the same as Leopard, not a new OS.

OS 7 wasn't that great either. People forget what a nightmare the extensions were ... with all the special software to resolve extension conflict. As for Leopard, I can't remember when I had to do a hard mechanical shut down ... that is except when I was using Windows (via Bootcamp).

Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
OS 7 wasn't that great either. People forget what a nightmare the extensions were ... with all the special software to resolve extension conflict. As for Leopard, I can't remember when I had to do a hard mechanical shut down ... that is except when I was using Windows (via Bootcamp).

I sometimes do a hard shutdown but I use 3 eSata cards in my MacPro and every now and then do create some issues while copying large files, which requires a hard shut down sometimes. Other than those, I don't think I ever had a kernel panic with SL for a long time.

I don't have any pci express cards installed in MBP and I don't think that machine has seen a hard shutdown for 6 months.

Comment

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
The freezing seems to happen on some late 2009 MacBooks too. Definitely mine. Hopefully this fixes it. It didn't occur on mine before SL, and it doesn't occur on my Late 2008 15".

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
as long as this fixes the SMB write support that's been broken for five effing months.

Mine SMB issue is strictly wireless. Wired works fine. However I prefer they take their time to get it right.

Comment

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
What's in the build

Does anyone have access and can delve into this build? That was always a good place to look to see if there was support for new hardware (ie. MacPro). Typically there were model ID's specified in the installer. Anyway that used to be the case, before this site became "iPad rumors" - in the past we would hear about such things.

Anyway, I won't complain (too much) - my hope is someone out there who has this will take a look at some of the resource code and see what they can find.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
There are no Open GL "improvements". Only compatibility issues and fixes. Don't expect your games to perform 15% better.

There are better opengl drivers, there's a few devs that have access to those seeds saying the opengl performance is better in 10.6.4, not 15% better but still better than 10.6.3. Even Valve's rbarris mentioned that 10.6.4 will contain some improvements but not a lot.

Hopefully now that Steam is out and Valve is working along with Apple, 10.6.5 might actually go further (rbarris said 10.6.4's opengl drivers were done before Steam even shipped, despite the fact that we're still getting seeds).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.