Build Custom ipsw via pwnage 4.1 on Mac, install on PC. Any problems?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scirica, Oct 21, 2010.

1. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I know most that use pwnage build the custom firmware on a Mac and then proceed through the DFU install on the MAC. How many of you out there have created the custom firmware on a friends MAC and then installed it via your PC? I've done this many times in the past and never had a problem, but now I'm hearing that it may be problematic with pwnage 4.1.

Any real-life success or horror stories out there? If horror, is there a solution?

Thanks to the forum.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A custom built .ipsw can be installed on any appropriate device on any platform.

3. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks, but you missed the point of my question. I have done THAT many times prior to pwnage 4.1. I am asking about experience with 4.1 pwnage. Did you build your custom firmware and then install on an iDevice via pc? If so, I'd love to hear your story.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

it does not work with the new version of pwnage tool. The DFU mode on pwnage tool is part of the exploit and without the Magic DFU the IPSW will not restore. Hence no windows restores.

5. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

Thanks for the confirmation. Not what I wanted to hear but you just saved me from a big headache this weekend!

6. alpineflip macrumors newbie

7. navigates macrumors 6502a

Really, I didn't know that. I have the custom firmware will give it a shot on my PC shortly on someone's phone. Yesterday I updated one 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.1 with 3.1.3 baseband and unlocked it. Worked like a charm. Activated too. Was a very clean upgrade.