BUILD QUALITY: iphone 5S vs iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAppleONE, Sep 23, 2014.

1. iAppleONE macrumors member

Hi guys,

Can someone comment on the build quality of iphone 5S vs iphone 6? I noticed the buttons on the iphone 6 feel cheaper than iphone 5 and also, the home button and metal ring wobble when you press it. I just want to know if this is common for iphone 6 or just only for me. I have the silver iphone 6.

Thanks!

2. pish6969 macrumors regular

I love the 5s. But my 6 seems pretty well built as well. My home button doesn't wobble. You may want to have that checked out

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Quite a few people have commented (on these boards) that the i6 feels 'cheaper' than previous iPhones. Of course the Apple hordes say it's the highest quality phone Apple have made to date. I would summise that there's no smoke without fire...
    Sure it's much lighter and that certainly leads to a less 'premium' feeling but I don't think that's necessarily correct. My main beef is with loose, clicky volume buttons. The Apple fans can say all they like about perfect build quality, but a loose button never feels high quality to me.

4. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly how I feel. I mean if you press the volume buttons on iphone 4/5 it feels more 'solid'. The iphone 6 feels more 'hollow', even when tapping on the screen. It reminds me of the current ipod nanos. I just hope these things don't correlate with cheap quality. I don't know... only time will tell.

5. nickdylan macrumors regular

My home button doesn't wobble - there's no give at all to it without pressing it. Overall I think the build quality and probably QC on the 5S is higher than the 6. To me, the 4/4S/5/5S have the most attractive design and the best build quality of the iPhones. Not to mention the weird, ugly plastic lines on the back of the 6/6+. That said, the iPhone 6 still feels solid compared to plasticky phones, and I'd say is equal to the best of the Android phones (IMO the M8). I think the right angles of the iPhone 5S make it feel more solid and substantial than the 6's curves.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The iPhone 6 is starting to go into credit cared thin territory. I don't get it with the whole thinness ordeal. I get it, we can, but it doesn't mean we should. The iPhone 5S has the great thickness to it, makes it sturdy enough.