Build Quality

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ryxsolo, May 18, 2011.

1. Ryxsolo macrumors newbie

I bought a iPad 2 64gb white wifi last week and it was built the 18th week. When I took it out of the box I noticed there a small nick on the top right corner of the aluminum. I also noticed light bleeding.

I took it in to Apple store and they gave me a replacement from a brown box. This replacement was week 12 build date. This one had even worst build quality. There gaps on where the bezel meets the aluminum. The screen was crooked and had light bleeding. There was a scratch on the back on the aluminum.

I took this replacement into another Apple for another replacement. This new replacement came directly from a new unopened retail box with a build week of 18. This one had a small nick on the top right corner of the aluminum and a scratch on the back on the aluminum. The screen still has light bleeding.

3 iPad 2s and all had noticeable damage on the aluminum. I find this unacceptable. The LCD light bleeding might not be Apple's fault but LG's.

Does anyone else have quality issues with their iPad 2 cosmetically? Apple Genius told me that they will only replace it once or twice and that if the back light bleeding issue is on this replacement they will not replace it anymore and will issue a refund. The problem is that I purchased my iPad 2 through JandR. I doubt they will issue me a refund, especially now the s/n on the box does not match the s/n on my iPad 2.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No blemishes on mine. Slight bleed which is only noticeable when brightness is up way beyond normal use. At normal levels, display is perfect.

3. macDelirium macrumors member

Poor QC I guess :( Mass production and high demand... I've noticed iPad2's with small scratches on the aluminium casing too.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I have two units. The first has no issue. The second right out of the box had a tiny scratch on the back, a minor ink blemish on the top and a speck of dust under the screen. The ink rubbed off and neither the scratch nor the dust bothers me so I didn't return it (particularly because I didn't buy it through Apple and the hassle just wasn't worthwhile considering that the unit is fine in all other respects). But, I was definitely a little surprised. Still happy overall, but will be buying my next Apple product direct through Apple.

5. djbab00 macrumors newbie

I just got my ipad2 and took advantage of the free engraving. Ordered it online and when i took the wrapping off, I saw straight line framing the engraved area, box like. other wise there is no light bleeding, luckily. I love this little machine, and cant wait for ip5 to come out.

6. macDelirium macrumors member

:D me too, the iPad 2 is brilliant and I'm looking to buying the new iPhone 4S or 5 when it's released in September(?)