Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
If you're willing to put in around 1000 dollars for the PC you can build yourself an athlon64 2800+ pc. I used an MSI motherboard for my athlon64 3000+ which i built a few months ago and it works very well! USE NEWEGG.COM. I've had some major problems with tigerdirect in the past.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Dont Hurt Me said:
Toms hardware has some good info on motherboards, go there. also use socket 939

It looks like this this only available in Athlon64, or did I miss something? I'm trying to stay midrange here -- under $800 if possible including Windows.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
Unfortunately there isn't much of a way of getting around dropping a chunk of change on XP. Your best bet is to get the educational OEM XP Pro upgrade on newegg for like 82 bucks. I'm actually an educator, so I can do this legit. However, you only have to say yes to some question on NewEgg, and they don't require any proof of employment. Then you can do one of two things. If you happen to have a buddy that has a full install disc, you use that to install, and then use the serial number that came with your disk. Or, if you can get your hands on any sort of windows disc, 98 or more recent, you can pop that in while doing an install to satisfy the upgrade requirement.

I definately wouldn't waste the money on one of the athalon 64's though. There are even fewer 64 bit optomized programs for PC right now than for mac.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Here's what I'm looking at now:

AMD Athlon XP 2800 (retail, w/fan)
Antec SX 635BII Case (350w PS)
512 Mb DC 333 RAM
80 GB HD Ultra/100 7200 rpm
48x Combo
Saffire ATI 9800 PRO 128mb
10/100 NIC
Mouse (optical)
KB
Speakers
Win XP Home

I've only started pricing this out, but I think I get bring it in for under $800.00. Any comments, or gotchas I should know about here? Anything missing?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
Unfortunately there isn't much of a way of getting around dropping a chunk of change on XP. Your best bet is to get the educational OEM XP Pro upgrade on newegg for like 82 bucks. I'm actually an educator, so I can do this legit. However, you only have to say yes to some question on NewEgg, and they don't require any proof of employment. Then you can do one of two things. If you happen to have a buddy that has a full install disc, you use that to install, and then use the serial number that came with your disk. Or, if you can get your hands on any sort of windows disc, 98 or more recent, you can pop that in while doing an install to satisfy the upgrade requirement.

I have the Win-98 install for Virtual PC. Would it work? If I understand what you're saying, it sounds like I'd need two optical drives.

Retail for a full XP-home at discount is around $150.00.

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
the 10/100 ethernet will come with the motherboard on most ALL new motherboards, get the KB/Optical mouse combo on newegg..save some bucks; the difference between 80 GB and 120 GB is a mere 10-15 bucks..may as well go 120; newegg offers an 8X dvd burner for $82, get a GB of ram if possible, i put a 512 chip in my XP 1900 over 2 years ago; Good luck with it all

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
IJ Reilly said:

512 Mb DC 333 RAM
48x Combo
10/100 NIC
Mouse (optical)
KB
Speakers
Win XP Home

I've only started pricing this out, but I think I get bring it in for under $800.00. Any comments, or gotchas I should know about here? Anything missing?

I would really like to advise you to get windows pro. Being a former windows user, I used both XP home and windows XP pro. Pro is much better in response, doesn't crash as much, and has better sercurity( with my experience, don't know about others).

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
I am almost completely certain that the VPC disc will not suffice for the windows upgrade.

You won't need two optical drives if you get an upgrade disc. If you are doing a clean install on a blank hard drive, you will be prompted at some point in the installation process to insert a cd from a previous windows version. For XP I believe it requires 98 or later. You don't need the serial for the original disc, and I think it can even be an upgrade itself. If you know ANYONE who has any sort of gateway, dell, HP, or perhaps even one of the dozens of other ill fated companies from the late 90's, talk to them. The further back toward the 98 era the better, because starting around ME the computer companies started making proprietary recovery discs, and I'm not certain you could use one of those for the part in question for the XP installation. If they did come with a full install disc for any of the windows versions, you're going to be in luck.

If not, my father has a full install disc for XP pro that he'd be willing to part with for about $100. He just got a new PC with XP home, so he doesn't need the old one any more. I'd keep it, but my educator's upgrade copy works just fine when I pop in my old 98 disc. However, if you can find someone that has any old windows disc, I'd get one of the upgrades, because they're only about 80. I've used them for about 5 or 6 machines, and they work just fine.

PS. Drop the extra 6 bucks or so on the real 9800 pro. It's 222 for the ATI retail version of it on newegg, as opposed to 216 for the sapphire.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
quagmire said:
I would really like to advise you to get windows pro. Being a former windows user, I used both XP home and windows XP pro. Pro is much better in response, doesn't crash as much, and has better sercurity( with my experience, don't know about others).

What are the differences between XP Pro and Amateur? I thought it was strictly a matter of features and services.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
PS. Drop the extra 6 bucks or so on the real 9800 pro. It's 222 for the ATI retail version of it on newegg, as opposed to 216 for the sapphire.

So confusing, this part. I thought I found the Sapphire on newegg for quite a bit less -- $179 I think, when I searched the site, but now I can't find it. This was less than the advertised price on the front page. Any significant difference between this card and the 9600 you recommended?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
I am almost completely certain that the VPC disc will not suffice for the windows upgrade.

In "the interests of science" I will probably go for the full retail package. This is in part an experiment to test whether rolling your own is really significantly cheaper than buying retail. I've already priced out a similar system at Dell (a 2.8 P4 instead of a AMD since Dell doesn't do AMD).

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
What are the differences between XP Pro and Amateur? I thought it was strictly a matter of features and services.

Some people migh think Pro runs better, but its mostly just them thinking that.

Pro actually adds more processes running, which takes up more memory. I'm willing to make a huge bet in saying that you won't need the added features of Pro.

Here is a site that list the features:

clicky

Just an fyi though: If your getting a 64bit chip, get a free copy of winodws 64 bit XP ;)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
IJ Reilly said:

512 Mb DC 333 RAM
48x Combo
10/100 NIC
Mouse (optical)
KB
Speakers
Win XP Home

ArsTechnica do DIY system recommendations in three categories - budget, hot-rod and god-box - so you may like to get some ideas off of them. From your price range it looks like the budget box is for you...

Incidently, you missed out a motherboard from your pricing. ;)

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
IJ Reilly said:
So confusing, this part. I thought I found the Sapphire on newegg for quite a bit less -- $179 I think, when I searched the site, but now I can't find it. This was less than the advertised price on the front page. Any significant difference between this card and the 9600 you recommended?

If you found a sapphire for 180 then it was probably the OEM version, or it wasn't even the pro. Keep in mind you can also find what is called a 9800SE which is basically nothing more than an even cheaper version of the 9600. The significant differences between the 9600 series and the 9800 series is the rendering pipelines. 8 on the 9800, and 4 on the 9600. Until the absolute most recent batch of cards from nVidia and ATI the only cards that had 8 were the 9800, 9700, and 9500. However, the 9500 ran so slow that I believe for most gaming and such a 9600XT would spank it.

Even if you can get a 9800 pro sapphire for 180 I'd still go for the real ATI one in the full retail box for 222. When you're spending this amount of money, another 40 bucks isn't going to break the bank.

IJ Reilly said:
In "the interests of science" I will probably go for the full retail package. This is in part an experiment to test whether rolling your own is really significantly cheaper than buying retail. I've already priced out a similar system at Dell (a 2.8 P4 instead of a AMD since Dell doesn't do AMD).

In the pure intrest of science, I would take any advantage you can get. Especially since microsoft is likely pretty much giving away XP to harware vendors, they start ahead of you. If you're still really bent on a full install though, I think there is an OEM version of XP home for a little over 100. That will be a full install, it's just supposed to be sold with hardware. Since you're building a machine, that's completely legit.

Also, here are some of the things "XP Professional Offers" straight from the box:
"All the features of Windows XP Home Edition, including a new visual design and complete digital media support.
Premier mobile support for the ability to work offline or access your computer remotely.
Greater security, including the ability to encrypt your files and folders.
Built-in support for high performance multiprocessor systems.
Designed to work with Microsoft Windows Servers and management solutions."

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, I realize now I forgot the motherboard. This is such an adventure. I checked out numerous ASUS boards on newegg in the $80 price range. On most of these boards, the user reports are sharply split between people who love 'em and people who hate 'em, with virtually nothing in between. I suspect the difference is mainly the luck of the draw.

Who can sell me an OEM edition of XP?

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
I have a full on, no strings attatched, not an upgrade, not an educational version, not an OEM version, fully legit copy of XP Pro. The only difference between it and what you would buy in a store now for 300 dollars is that it doesn't include service pack 1. However, this is easily downloaded through windows update. Asking price is 100 shipped as long as you're in the US.

On newegg an OEM full install of Home is 91, and an OEM full install of XP Pro is 141. Neither are very shabby.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Yes, I realize now I forgot the motherboard. This is such an adventure. I checked out numerous ASUS boards on newegg in the $80 price range. On most of these boards, the user reports are sharply split between people who love 'em and people who hate 'em, with virtually nothing in between. I suspect the difference is mainly the luck of the draw.

Who can sell me an OEM edition of XP?

Thought I could help you out a bit.

Athlon XP 2500
Abit NF7-S mobo
2x512MB Crucial XMS PC 2700
ATI 9800 pro or 9600 XT chipset graphics card
OEM Win XP Home
Antec case
SATA HD 80GB Seagate or Western Digital

you should be all set, it will probably be a little bit over 800.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
I suggest you spend on items that have to be junked, not upgraded cheaply, like monitor, case, etc. Others can be easily changed later. For the same reasonl, try to get a good mobo - it is more future-proofed and less of a pain to change later.
I have built a couple of PC's and it is very satisfying to boot it up for the first time. Good luck.
Also, you can get 64 Windows XP (beta) for free from Microsoft, so it may be worth spending on an Athlon 64, as you will save having to buy Win XP.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
ToddW said:
Thought I could help you out a bit.

Athlon XP 2500
Abit NF7-S mobo
2x512MB Crucial XMS PC 2700
ATI 9800 pro or 9600 XT chipset graphics card
OEM Win XP Home
Antec case
SATA HD 80GB Seagate or Western Digital

you should be all set, it will probably be a little bit over 800.

How did you pick this motherboard? I find this to be the most difficult part, with so many choices and so much conflicting information about them.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
I have a full on, no strings attatched, not an upgrade, not an educational version, not an OEM version, fully legit copy of XP Pro. The only difference between it and what you would buy in a store now for 300 dollars is that it doesn't include service pack 1. However, this is easily downloaded through windows update. Asking price is 100 shipped as long as you're in the US.

On newegg an OEM full install of Home is 91, and an OEM full install of XP Pro is 141. Neither are very shabby.

I'll consider that. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.