Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
Oh yeah, there is nothing like that feeling that you get when you put together your first computer. You put it all together, plug it all in, monitor, keyboard, mouse, everything. You go for that power button and......nothing. I'm not trying to scare you of course, but it will happen. Common reasons:
Front panel stuff not plugged in properly
The little on/off switch in the O position on the power supply
Processor is on fire

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Indeed, they are cheap -- less than $20.00 based on a cursory investigation. Easily added later, I presume. The ABIT NF7-S, which seems to be the most frequently recommended, has an nForce 2 chipset.

if you decide to go to with the NF7-S and decide to use a SATA harddrive you will need a floppy to load the drivers for the SATA controller that is onboard the mobo. Windows will need those drivers to install.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
Elbeano said:
Allright, I'm going to see if I can post the picture of my PC baby.

How about a clear-case Macintosh? Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
crowdaddy said:
how do you build a mac??

It is possible, although very hard. Basically, it involves finding a fully functional older mac, or fixing one up until it is fully functional. Then the fun part comes in....

Macs, despite their wonderfulness, are not very expandable. So the major part is installing the parts of the functional mac into a new case. This is challenging, as the mainboard screws will not line up. So what you have to do is make, out of cardboard or a thin piece of wood, a spacer that the mainboard will mount into and then mount into the case. This can be done out of metal as well, although much harder. The spacer should be the same side as the mainboard, and holes will be drilled or punched into it that will line up with the mainboard and with the case, so basically it is an adaptor.

Once the mainboard spacer/mounter is created and the mainboard is fasten into the case, the rest is just a manner of moving the drives and power supply over. The use of drive and power cable extenders might me needed.

The advantage of all this, much more expandability! Where as your old Apple case only had two drive bays and two-to-four internal harddrive spaces, the new case will have up to six drive bays and lots of places to install harddrives.

Plus, you can use really cool cases, like the clear case that is sown below. In that clear case I have: Power Computing Mac clone mainboard, 300 watt power supply, DVD 8x +/- RW burner, internal zip drive, internal jaz drive, pcmcia and camera card reader, and four front usb ports, as well as three internal hard drives. Best computer ever!

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 61

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
dopefiend said:
You don't.

I built my second Mac (or was it my third?), a IIx, in 1989 I think it was.

In those days, you could buy stock parts from Pre-Owned Computers. I think they got them from out of business Apple dealers. I bought the case, motherboard, RAM, drives -- all as parts, and put the thing together myself. Saved a couple of hundred bucks. All the parts are out there, you just need to find somebody who'll sell them.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
ToddW said:
if you decide to go to with the NF7-S and decide to use a SATA harddrive you will need a floppy to load the drivers for the SATA controller that is onboard the mobo. Windows will need those drivers to install.

Wait, I thought this mobo only supported ATA/133. What'd I miss? Or is SATA the same as ATA/133?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Elbeano said:
For PC's to get into the bios you generally have to press either delete, or F12 somewhere in the first screen while it's doing the memory test. It will say. The only problem is some of the PC's I've made are so fast that the option is displayed for less than a second before it goes on with other booting processes. Combine that with the fact that the monitor isn't usually warmed up enough to see the option and I've had to restart upwards of 5 times just to get in to the bios before. You do have to be careful making the adjustment from the 2500+ to the 3200+. My friend and I tried that on one of his machines, and it woudln't even boot after that. We had to remove the battery from the motherboard and let the bios reset. What a fun day that was.

This is what I call NOT reading the FAQ on nforcershq.com

You either have a mobo that CAN do it, or not.

I'm presuming he didn't have an Abit NF7-S, heck he might even have my motherboard. This adjustment is easy if you have a 2500+, the RIGHT memory (corsair pc3200 or better) and a proper mobo for it. Obviously, if you have inferior parts, don't expect the overclock to work! Why do you think I am stressing to get an Abit NF7-S? Because it has been PROVEN, over and over again, to be the best overclocking mobo in the market. And its mature (v1.2 has been out since Late 2002, and v2.0 since Feb/March of 2003).

Yes, what I say might be cookie cutter, but it certainly cuts out problems/anomalies that can arise if you DON'T follow a "tried-and-true" proven model. This is where customization/discrepancies of the PC market tend to work AGAINST the novices (if you don't know the "best" brand, than you are bit lost). This is WHY I stress to follow cookie cutter builds. This way, at least, you know that it has worked. Hell, I even followed a cookie cutter build for my A7N8X (copied Vcore, Vdimm, and memory timings, and adjusted them accordingly).

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
IJ Reilly said:
Wait, I thought this mobo only supported ATA/133. What'd I miss? Or is SATA the same as ATA/133?

NF7-S supports SATA. I have 2 SATA disks in my NF7-S system :)

If you get the NF7-S you also don't really have to worry about getting an extra soundcard. The built-in nForce2 sound is good enough for most uses, far better than than most other built-in sound solutions, although a newer Audigy might be nice if you're a heavy gamer.

And, like mentioned, you'll need a floppy drive if you buy only SATA-drives. Standard Windows XP need additional drivers to boot from and install to a SATA-drive. That is, unless you have a friend who can make a slightly modified Windows XP CD for you, adding SATA drivers (similiar to how you can make Windows XP CD's with SP1 already installed), removing the need for a floppy drive.

Oh, and I whould also recommend the NF7-S. It has not disappointed me yet. (And it's the first revision too). :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thanks, I had the mobo specs right here and just misread them. I've looked at so many things over the past few days, I'm getting confused (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

A few decisions I'm still trying to make:

2500+ or 2800+
DDR333 or DDR400
ATA or SATA

If you had to pick just one upgrade, which would you choose?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
IJ Reilly said:
Thanks, I had the mobo specs right here and just misread them. I've looked at so many things over the past few days, I'm getting confused (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).

A few decisions I'm still trying to make:

2500+ or 2800+
DDR333 or DDR400
ATA or SATA

If you had to pick just one upgrade, which would you choose?

If you are absolutely, ABSOLUTELY sure you do not want to even attempt overclocking, then, yes, you can go with DDR333. Otherwise, I see no reason NOT to go with DDR400, otherwise. The ATA vs. SATA issue, I think, is a cost issue. If you want the most value, ATA will still give it to you (200Gig's go for $130, so if you get 2, that's 400gigs for $260...not bad).

*edit*
Ooops, apparently WD ALSO has a SATA 200gig for $10 more...$136 for a 200Gig SATA drive. Up to you, i guess.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
You know, I think far too much thought and effort is going in to this. Why don't you just go buy a Dell and get it over with?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
You know, I think far too much thought and effort is going in to this. Why don't you just go buy a Dell and get it over with?

Because, among other things, I want to learn how to do this. Isn't that a good enough reason all by itself?

Based on all the comments and suggestions I've read here and elsewhere, I get the impression that homebuilding is quite a minefield -- which only raises the question why all homebuilders don't just buy a Dell and get it over with.

So, whatever their (and your) motivations and rationales for homebuilding might be, mine are probably just about the same. The only difference is, I don't much about this -- yet.

(And honestly, I'm surprised to see you take that tack, seeing as you've been so helpful and instructive. I hope you're not regretting it!)

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
'Twas only a little sarcasm. It's all the thought and annoyance that makes it fun. PC's are funny like that. I PC users are a little masochistic, or however you spell that.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Elbeano said:
'Twas only a little sarcasm. It's all the thought and annoyance that makes it fun. PC's are funny like that. I PC users are a little masochistic, or however you spell that.

So why do you do it? Because it feels so good when I stop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.