Building an Intel Mac from scratch?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SSpiro, Apr 15, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I need to setup an OSX Server to learn with at my house, as I begin my path with the ACTC..

I've read a lot of links on building a G4 machine from scratch, but not interested in that. I'd like to setup an intel OSX machine by scratch..

Any good links or reads?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm going to assume your intentions are good, but you should know that the license for OS X forbids you from installing it on non-Apple hardware. As such, I don't think you'll be able to get help for that here on these boards.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

would seem to be a rather big affair. Apple parts are really not avalable like PC parts.

4. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Fair enough.. I guess I can always save to buy a mini or something to learn with.

I just have so many PC parts and cases and stuff laying around.. I would just need the mobo and processor and ram..

But I understand RE: the licensing.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If your doing this through a school, you should get a nice discount with either a Student discount, or ADC discount if your a member.

6. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Just used my student discount on my MBP :eek:

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You get 1 partable, 1 desktop and 1 mini purchase per calender year, as long as you got the moneys:D

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

In theory you COULD do it, but it would require a lot of emulation, and then run so unbearably slow it wouldn't be worth it.

All in all it would just be more trouble than it's worth. Just go and buy a mac. ;)

Also it's illegal.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

As others have said, it's "forbidden"... That said, it's a real shame there isn't some sort of (legal) way for people to this. Especially for the people willing to pay to join Apple's developers connection -- who wished to make use of hardware other than the standard Apple offerings (which is largely designed for home consumers).

If only Apple would offer an entry-level 1U XServe (using socket 775), it could be put to good use by various sorts of users. You'd think it'd sell well enough in many different markets. :(

10. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Oh snap, did not know that. I thought it was just one purchase annually. Still, just dumped ~2K two weeks ago.. :(

Agreed 100%.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yes. You can solve virtually any problem if you throw enough money at it...

But in the real world, frugal-minded people who know hardware aren't likely to be thrilled at the prospect of buying an integrated-something like an iMac. Not when they begin to compare system specs and flexibility at least. ;)

12. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Kind of a problem I have right now. Broke kid trying to go to school ftl. I must have enough parts and pieces to build 10 PCs in my garage. Would love to put them to work for me.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So build a Linux server...

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It requires no emulation, just some kernel hacks, and you can easily build a generic PC box that will run faster than any Mac, sans the MacPro. It's also not terrifically difficult if you are buying the hardware specifically for the project.

But it is a violation of the licensing terms.

15. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I've been there and done that.. but how will building a linux server help me get more hands on training with OSX Server?

I have experience building and setting up Debian, BSD, Redhat, Fedora, and a host of others.. and I know it'll help me.. but not sure how much it'll help for my ACTC..

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yeah, that's the rub... OS X is *nix, but the Linux-inclined people can't as easily do the same things in OS X that they could in Linux. One very real barrier is the price tag of Apple's only "real" desktop, the Mac Pro. There is a complete lack of entry-level development or server hardware with decent specs.

It would seem to benefit Apple if they could attract more developers and systems oriented people that could provide moderately-priced solutions for small(er) businesses. OS X Server (and XServe) could be more competitive in various markets, but especially so within the (real) world of small(er) businesses.

Why not tap the (*nix) expertise that's "out there?" :confused:

17. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Very true..

But it probably as a lot to do with Apple's desire to be fairly proprietary... you think?

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If you have some of the parts already you could always pop over to ifixit.com to get the "vital" components to complete your mac.

19. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Will check that out!

Thanks!

What's considered the vital parts? logic board and proc?

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well anything that you cant get 3rd party, maybe just the logic board bc procs can be found all over if you know where to look. What you wont need are all the silly mounting brackets, cases and such that are purely aesthetic. Ok, just checked ifixit. I now realise that they dont seem to do desktop parts but there must be other places offering logic boards. here you can get processor upgrade cards for macs

21. BigPrince macrumors 68020

22. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

There is a Universal retail version of Tiger Server.

23. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

24. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Very interesting.. Thanks for the links.

Appears they only have PPC boards? What about intel?