Building an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MB100, Dec 16, 2009.

1. MB100 macrumors newbie

I want to build a device that functions as a phone similar to the iphone, I was wondering if someone could tell me the hardware I would need, I.e processor graphics card, ram, memory, like who makes it and what its called

trying to do this out of curiosity, thanks for you help....

2. The General macrumors 601

you cant just go on newegg and buy parts to build a cell phone, it doesn't work like that. you need specially designed and manufactured parts. it's not like building a PC.

just buy an iphone if you want an iphone.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

You're joking right??!!

Do you have any previous experience with electronics/mobile phones? It's not as easy as soldering all the right bits together and turning it on.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

5. surefire09 macrumors member

you both got it all wrong, you can if you want.;)

just no ones smart enough on here is going to be able to tell you how so they reply saying you cant.

if all fails just email steve jobs, i'd think he'll tell you his ip

6. ethical macrumors 68000

We're not saying you cant/it's impossible. We're just saying it's not as simple as the OP seems to think it is.lol

7. MB100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that special parts are needed...but as a proof of concept kind of thing what kind of parts would I need.....?

8. The General macrumors 601

iphone OS will only run on iphones and ipod touches. you won't be able to do it unless you're an üb3r l33t hacker, but if you were üb3r enough to hack iphone OS to run on a generic ARM system, then you'd already know the answer to your question.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think I just peed my pants a bit! Ha! Awesome thread!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You MIGHT be able to do something close with some parts, solder, etc, but it would probably have a Zack Morris type form factor. But then you'd need to code and OS pretty much from scratch. Both not easy endeavors in the slightest.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This has to be a joke. Not only are you going to run into the problems obtaining components, coding an OS and baseband, etc. mentioned above you're going to have huge licensing, regulatory, and testing issues. You would need FCC approval (and teams of engineers and lawyers) even to get approval to test such a device on licensed frequencies..

11. MB100 thread starter macrumors newbie

let me rephrase, I dont want it to run the iphone OS i was simply using that as an example of the compact form factor, I was curious about creating something very small that could run say linux or some lightweight operating system type thing, just out of curiosity because I am bored and have the time...

12. ethical macrumors 68000

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Let's re-read what thelatinist wrote.

14. MB100 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont really have a plan I just want to see if I could do it, doesn't have to be pretty, just want to try and do it an see what is involved and what parts I need, just for fun....of course the fun of trying to build it, as I say iphone just for scale of parts kinda stuff

15. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm sorry mate but I think you're just underestimating the whole thing. If you're that keen then look into how actual manufacturers do it, and if it still interests you then you can think about pursuing it as a career or re-thinking your building plans.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

op:

it took me months to figure out how to build (come up with electrical schematics/solder and whatnot) and subsequently code a simple device that consisted of a cpu that controlled a stepper motor to direct a fan that outputed the ambient temperature with an alarm at a certain threshold that outputted to a simple one line lcd display. the end device was no where near as compact, nor as clean, as an iphone in terms of circuit layout, the wiring and whatnot. Not to mention I soldered connections, didnt use a printed ciruit board

just trying to put things in perspective.

maybe you are a super talent though and can build an iphone right off

if you want electrical parts, jameco.com is pretty good just to experiment with

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Inside a Digital Cell Phone

18. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

19. The General macrumors 601

You can build a mini itx system and put linux on it, but I hardly see how that is at all similar to an iPhone.

20. MB100 thread starter macrumors newbie

how could I create this..?

21. autorelease macrumors regular

Hi guys, I want to build a skyscraper. Maybe not like the Empire State building, 20 or 30 stories should be enough. I was wondering if someone could tell me the hardware I would need, i.e. hammers, wood, etc. I can just get everything at Home Depot, right?

I don't even know if it's possible for individuals to buy the chips in the iPhone. They probably sell only to companies in large quantities. Even if you were to get your hands on the parts, you'd have to create a printed circuit board and have a robot assemble it for you because it's near impossible for a person to solder such tiny components. Some of them are no bigger than a grain of sand! Even if you could build the board, you'd need to write the firmware, and for that you'd need a development kit, which, again, is probably only available to companies for thousands of dollars.

Start small. Buy an Arduino and a text LCD and go from there.

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A nice intro, but I would point out that that Nokia phone is about 10 years old. The iPhone is generations more advanced. There is a lot more technology (and a lot more radios!) in the iPhone.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That was just a stocking stuffer... this was going to be his gift under the tree. ;)

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you can't figure out how to use Google, then you won't get far.