Bummer, no always on time display in watchOS4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bbates123, Jun 6, 2017.

1. bbates123 macrumors regular

I was really hoping that Apple would have given us an option to have the time display constantly in WatchOS4. Not as the default, but as an option for folks that get good enough battery life like I do with my Series 2. There are just way to many times when a wrist movement doesn't show the time and then I have to press on the face or do an exaggerated movement to get it to show. This has always been and continues to be my main complaint with the watch.

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Don't think you can count it out at this stage yet. Could see it be a major selling point for the new Series. The question is, can the old ones have it too?

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think the battery life is too crappy to ever have something like that.

4. Relentless Power, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't forsee Apple permitting an always on display at this point and Even if a 'Series 3' Watch launches this September, It doesn't seem something Apple has yet in store for the Watch. I still believe image retention is a consideration with OLED.

Personally, I have no need to have an always on display. I don't require the watch to be partially lit when I'm not even looking at it when raise to wake or tapping the screen works for my situation. But there is awkward moments, where your hand is resting, where Raise to wake isn't always a factor for seeing the time, where in always on display would be beneficial.

However, with one of the previous WatchOS updates, they did increase the longevity Wake Screen On Wrist Raise. You have the option of 15 seconds or 70 seconds.

Here are a few other threads discussing similar thoughts to always on displays.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/always-on-display.2039722/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bummer-no-always-on-time-display.1992775/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/time-always-on.2032479/

5. bbates123 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it would be that huge of a battery drain if you display only the time and don't display it at full strength when wrist movement isn't detected. My Series 2 can easily go 2 days between charges and I tend to leave it on the charger every night anyhow....plus like I said, you make this an option that people have to turn on, not default. To prevent screen retention you can have the time display move periodically. Anyhow, I had hopes that it would show up in OS4 and as mentioned it still might, or maybe it will be a thing for Series 3.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

One of the concerns is OLED draws significant power from the display being activated. I don't forsee Apple permitting an always on display until micro LED is implemented. Micro LED is three times as bright as OLED, does not require any backlighting and significantly draws less power from the display, resulting in longer battery life. It was rumored Micro LED might be debuting for the new Apple Watch In 2018.

7. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I don't really want always-on, I just want it on every time I look at it. Which means: a) with less exaggerated movement to trigger it; and, b) with faster light-up time when it does trigger. Currently, on my Series 0, it's, hmm, perhaps something between a quarter and a half a second, that I'm dumbly staring at a dark/blank watch face, before it lights up with the current info. Yes, it might be faster on a Series 2, and yes, half a second isn't that long, but it's a tiny bit of annoyance every time I look at my watch.

I don't see them doing always-on with the current display tech, though I look forward to it arriving down the road. I suppose what they might be able to do now or soon, would be the just HH:MM display they use in low power mode, and move it around the face like an old-school dvd player screensaver to prevent burn-in. I'd actually be a little surprised if they haven't tried that in the lab. It'd be a bit inelegant, but useful.

8. bbates123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this...exactly! Very dim display, not full power. Very small display of only the time. This is what the Microsoft band did and it worked well. And like you said, move it around. I agree, it would be better if the movement didn't have to be so exaggerated. So many times if I'm driving in my car or sitting at my desk just flicking my wrist doesn't do the trick, other times it works as expected.

9. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I had it on my android wear watch and it was cool but I don't miss it that much. It should definitely be an option for those who want it though.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's known as pixel shifting. The pixels shift static images to prevent image retention.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My LG Watch Urbane has a feature to leave always on but I find it annoyed so I turned it off.