Bumped MBP...Is it still covered by applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by expandable, Dec 3, 2010.

1. expandable macrumors newbie

I accidentally bumped my MBP on the side (see pic), the battery indicator is damaged but still works. Everything else is also working perfectly.
    My question is..Suppose later, something like the motherboard fails, am I still covered by the 1 year warranty? Can they use it as an excuse for not fixing my MBP if something else fails? And I want to purchase applecare once 1 year is reached to extend it to 3 years, but given that my MBP is damaged, can I still purchase it?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

It may still be covered, your best bet is to go to an apple store and see what they say.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

this.

4. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

That - they don't cover cosmetic damage so I'm not sure what they will say... That part doesn't look like it's on the logic board so you may be covered for logic board.

5. expandable thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked, the interior of that part is the battery. I will go to apple store and ask them next week.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The thing is with the Apple Store is that one person might say Yes it can be covered while another person at the store might say no.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point any thing that fails on your computer may be easily attributed to the damage and apple is well within their rights to deny the warranty.

All in all, it really is dependent on the genius looking at the computer. Some will say it may be related others may say it isn't

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

unless you get a written statement that the MBP is covered I would not waste $349 on Apple care. In a year when something fails some other genius will simply say it's not covered regardless what a apple store genius says now.

10. expandable, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010

expandable thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That's a good point and I'll try to ask for one on my trip to applestore.

It's a weird bump...I bumped it against the corner of my table, and only the battery indicator was damaged, luckily not the screen.:eek: