Bumper/aluminum backplate?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Cephalized, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Cephalized macrumors newbie

Hey guys I ordered an aluminum backplate from CNN.cn any suggestions on a bumper or case to show off the aluminum backplate?? Was looking at an e13ctron hybrid. Btw I have an iPhone4S a lot of the cases I see on here have a backplate liner like some of the vapor elements do. Like I'd like aluminum bumper or something thats is rather thin not much bulk and will compliment the backplate of course.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr. G macrumors member

In the same boat as you: just ordered a cnn.cn backplate and can't wait for it to come in.

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-verizon-ip...metal-tabs-gunmetal-metal-insert-p-11884.html

As far as your bumper question, I think I might rock a simple black bumper on mine for a while to keep it looking as simple as possible. My next modification after the backplate would also be an aluminum bumper so I'm very interested to see how you like the e13tron hybrid/aluminum backplate combo. I think it looks sleak, I wonder if there are any other aluminum bumpers out there with even less "noise" that look have similar lines as an Apple OEM bumper.

3. lazybee macrumors member

You may want to consider that Cnn.cn is shipping CDMA backs from the previous generation iPhone. These have just recently been proven to be often incompatible with the 4S. Apparently some will fit, some will not. It just depends on the variances in manufacturing. So if you can't get it to fit correctly, don't be alarmed.

4. Mr. G macrumors member

Found this in my search for an aluminum bumper to match my (yet to be delivered) brushed aluminum back plate:

http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-4S-Cases/Case-Mate-IPH4JETT.asp

Saw a thread on this int his forum, just ran a quick search for it. Reviews seemed a bit mixed, though I'll admit that the thread started in 2010 I believe. Very simple design, pretty rounded edges, and I like the metal button inserts over volume/power buttons.

Anyone have experience with the Jett by Case-Mate?

5. al0513 macrumors 6502

6. Mr. G macrumors member

I think that version has a beveled edge which will thicken your phone a bit. Also, make sure the posts which holds the screws are metal and not plastic.

7. al0513 macrumors 6502

8. lazybee macrumors member

That backplate you linked will NOT fit as it is designed for the AT&T iPhone 4 which is built differently then the 4S. I honestly would suggest waiting a while until these companies have a chance to update their stock to 4S compatible hardware. CNN.cn is offering 4S backs, but these may or may not be compatible. They have not changed anything from the CDMA version, and as such may often not fit.

9. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I ordered a metal backplate (and also a clear one with the pentalope screwdriver) from cnn.cn on the 24th, they took the money through paypal the same day, and it's still in processing a week later.

they both are suppposed to use the better metal posts though.

10. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

There are varying reports out there of the CDMA back not fitting on the 4S. Some said yes, some definitively said no. Anyone have personal experience?

11. Cephalized thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and got the flat aluminum backplate for the iPhone 4S and E13ctron hybrid. Should be getting both either Friday or Monday so now the waiting game. Most impatient guy . I'll post pictures and a small review here. For you guys.

12. lazybee macrumors member

I speak from experience. I have both a cnn.cn CDMA back and a Mas Design Titanium CDMA back. Neither fit correctly.

13. bl00per macrumors member

Tell me how it goes, I wanted to order a beveled backplate for my 4S

14. Kflik macrumors member

Any new information on this?

I wanted to order the brushed aluminum as well! I am surprised people are saying the iPhone 4S backplates that CNN.CN carries do not fit.

CNN.CN just recently added those backplates specifically for the 4S (a few weeks ago they did not offer backplates for the 4S). I am surprised some would not fit? Seems weird as the iPhone 4S is a world phone so that we all got the same one...

Either way..can anyone post a review? Im most worried about the camera, I read that you may have to purchase your own flash diffuser? Is this true? And does quality of pictures change at all?

Any help would be great!

15. bl00per macrumors member

The problem isn't with the camera, its just with the backplate not fitting, because they are simply shipping the iPhone 4CDMA back, and some fit, and some don't.

16. hizzaah macrumors 6502

i"m having a hard time getting them to even ship my order..
    placed way back on the 24th, I talked to multiple people on their online chat and they all told me to send an email. Finally I got a reply to one of my emails and they said that the aluminum backplate I ordered was on back order. And that my order was going to be delayed.

I also needed to add some flash diffusers to my order, so they let me do that.

I'm pressing them to upgrade my shipping because it's approaching 2 weeks now that they've had my money and no one bothered to tell me the plate was back ordered. In fact it still says that it's in stock on their website. I can't get another reply to my email though.

17. lazybee macrumors member

Did you order one designated for the 4S? This is likely because they just recently discovered the discrepancy for themselves that there is a small difference between the old CDMA 4 and the 4S. My guess is they were blindsided by this as were others selling CDMA backs for the 4S. They are likely awaiting new models which will correctly fit the 4S on a consistent basis.
    Yes, this is just a guess, but it is a plausible explanation of the wait you have encountered.

18. hizzaah macrumors 6502

yeah, I ordered the see-through one and an aluminum, both designated as ones for the 4S..

Still doesn't explain why they can't reply to my emails though lol..

19. lazybee macrumors member

Can't speak to that, no. However...stupidly when I ordered from them a few weeks back I placed two separate orders..one for the flash diffuser, one for the back. They were kind enough to ship together and refunded the shipping charges for the second item. They may be unreachable sometimes, but it seems that they do pay some attention :)

20. Cephalized thread starter macrumors newbie

So here's a quick update, I got my e13ctron s4 hybrid :D today not even 7days :). Still waiting for the backplate. I'll post pictures of the finished project when I get the backplate and install it. I honestly like the bumper. It's got the aluminum color on top and a black acetal bottom. My phone should hopefully be unison with black and aluminum color. As if it not already.;)

21. Kflik macrumors member

Thanks for the semi-update! I am really wanting to order the flat gunmetal 4S backplate, but I noticed its not OEM like the white and black, and that they have some that are diamond cut and some that are not? I cannot figure out this difference.

BUT an update with pics would be very nice! I specifically would like to know how it affects the camera (if at all)

22. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

The ones that say diamond cut have a silver edge to them, whereas the ones that don't have a black edge. This is coming directly from a live chat with cnn.cn. I had the exact same question.

23. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

For the 4S guys, do not order the CDMA version. Mine did not fit properly on the 4S. YMMV.