Bumper for the Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tomegun, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

2. troop231 macrumors 603

If I ever wanted something to go around my Watch (and I don't) I would want it to make the Watch waterproof. This bumper is just unnecessary bulk.

3. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I used to work at a department store and we had these thick rubber bands that went on the ends of the clothing racks. This looks like those with cutouts for the crown. No thanks. I wouldn't be opposed to something super thin that you couldn't tell was on the watch. I still probably would never use it.

4. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Please tell me somebody here besides me is old enough to remember these. You had to have a Swatch in the 80's.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I would wait to see what other companies come out with - but if you know you'll be in a bumpy place or activity, putting it on, at least temporarily, is smart.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Swatchguard! Of course. I have a 1988 August Swatch where the colors rotate.

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

If I can't break or scratch a sapphire crystal then it is going to be fine for over 99% of people. I am a klutz and bang my watches all the time. I am constantly scratching paint off of the crystal on my Seiko with a fingernail and the crystal is still perfect.

I'm getting SS with Link and expect the Stainless to get some real character over the years Like my old Rolex had. I love that well worn Stainless look as long as the Sapphire is still clean looking.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm going to skip on a case and bumper. I've had my Omega watch for 5 years now (stainless steel with sapphire) and there isn't a scratch on the glass or casing and I have bumped it into walls and other places by accident.

Can't say the same for the band however. It's pretty scratched up where you would lay your wrist down to type on a keyboard. Probably explains why I'm going to go with the Milanese loop as a band.

11. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I just need some easy to put on and off silicon type thin bezel cover to use at work.

Doesn't have look great, but protective.

Then naked the rest of the time.

12. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I find it to be way too bulky and take away from the looks of the watch. The only way I could justify using something like this is to protect it while you're working out or if you worked in manual labor ect. I'd hope to heck someone wouldn't buy a $350+ watch and slap one of these on it for everyday use.

13. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I would use those, but sometimes used the rubber band ones, and use two of them with different colors and twist them over the watch face.

14. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Ha - that was the first thing I thought of. Swatches were all the rage...

15. KPOM macrumors G5

IIRC, Swatches were $35 items, and were cheap plasticky devices intended to help revive the Swiss watch industry from years of ignoring the quartz revolution. The covers were part of the shtick. Today they own a wide portfolio of watches, and ironically, may be the company most threatened by the Apple Watch (since they own brands such as Tissot and Omega that the stainless steel Apple Watch will compete with).

As for the bumper, there's NO WAY I would ruin a good looking watch by slapping a case on it. Stop thinking about this like a phone or tablet.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

17. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I used to have a Power Rangers watch like that which had the clips for all the different rangers.

18. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

I won't be swinging form the vines or anything haha. I'll be running though, still I don't imagine I need to put any ugly bulk on my sexy Apple Watch. :D

19. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Pass, looks like it would be a pain around the digital crown...

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

I can see it now, third party accessory companies salivating at the thought of more Apple gadgets being sold to the OCD Crowd. You know, the ones who are famous for buying any conceivable form of protection... :eek:

21. yegon macrumors 68020

EGADS I forgot about those lol! I remember I had a black Swatch with a zebra pattern on it, with a pink(!) Swatch guard on it XD

I'd completely forgotten about it, haha.

***Spolier****
    The cheap plastic face still got scratched to hell.

22. docprego macrumors 65816

Hideous! Unnecessary for a device TETHERED to your wrist permanently.

Maybe useful to an extreme athlete but other than that, no.

23. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

The only thing I'm willing to buy to protect my Apple watch would be a glass shield, or just a regular screen protector! thats it!

24. kovey macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if you read the technical specifications, but you can actually remove the watch from your wrist at any time.

:rolleyes:

25. naix macrumors member