Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Telegram Messenger has received a major update to its video capabilities, including support for video calls with up to 1,000 viewers.

telegram.jpg

Group video calls in Telegram allow up to 30 users to stream video from both their camera and their screen, and now a maximum of 1,000 people can tune into the broadcast. Telegram says it intends to continue increasing this limit "until all humans on Earth can join one group call."

Meanwhile, video messages now have a higher resolution, and any audio playing on the user's device will keep playing when a message is being captured so that it's included in the recording.

In addition, users can now tap on a video message to expand it in the conversation thread. Tapping on an expanded video message initially pauses it, and it's also possible to fast-forward and rewind the message.

Elsewhere in this update, the media player now supports multiple video playback speeds, screen sharing has been added to one-on-one calls, the in-app camera supports all zoom levels a device is capable of, and the media editor includes new tools to illustrate photos and videos with drawings, text, and stickers.

Several other smaller tweaks and improvements have made it into this bumper update, and Telegram has further details in its latest blog post. Telegram is a free download for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Bumper Telegram Update Enables Video Calls With Up to 1,000 Viewers

Nikita_K

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021

Telegram Messenger has received a major update to its video capabilities, including support for video calls with up to 1,000 viewers.

telegram.jpg

Group video calls in Telegram allow up to 30 users to stream video from both their camera and their screen, and now a maximum of 1,000 people can tune into the broadcast. Telegram says it intends to continue increasing this limit "until all humans on Earth can join one group call."

Meanwhile, video messages now have a higher resolution, and any audio playing on the user's device will keep playing when a message is being captured so that it's included in the recording.

In addition, users can now tap on a video message to expand it in the conversation thread. Tapping on an expanded video message initially pauses it, and it's also possible to fast-forward and rewind the message.

Elsewhere in this update, the media player now supports multiple video playback speeds, screen sharing has been added to one-on-one calls, the in-app camera supports all zoom levels a device is capable of, and the media editor includes new tools to illustrate photos and videos with drawings, text, and stickers.

Several other smaller tweaks and improvements have made it into this bumper update, and Telegram has further details in its latest blog post. Telegram is a free download for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Bumper Telegram Update Enables Video Calls With Up to 1,000 Viewers
I just wish some Apple exec installs Telegram and sees how the messaging app should function in 2021. iMessage is a joke compared to it. And it is not related to its video capabilities.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
I tested video capabilities of Telegram last week and i have to say that it is worse than Zoom when it comes to quality. Was not pleased, but I hope it will improve.

• Sad
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Huge Telegram fan and am delighted that everyone I talk to now regularly use it. The functionality is immense.

Read the blog link, there are loads of improvements in the latest release, not just the headline video call related stuff.

Meanwhile, WhatsApp devs are probably still busy high-fiving each other for managing to deliver dark mode.

Last edited:

Ahmamies

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2020
Too bad I am in Germany. Here it takes 2 months advance notice to schedule / align for a video call with your friends ?
Are you guys already using credit cards there??I was there 3-4 years ago and was rather surprised how often one still needed cash.

DWHH1

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Remember all those rumours about bigger iPads? This must be the first App for the new iPad Pro Mega, the new one with the 76 inch screen.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Telegram is one of the few things we russians can be proud of
ICQ (I Seek You) too, no? I know that it was once the bees knees to have an ICQ account and I did too. The tech was originally israeli I believe, but now it's Russia-based. Still functions and I think has a large following too.

I also like Telegram. Sadly it has gotten a bad reputation of have being the go-to chat app for extremists. I don't know if that's the case anymore however.
I read that in an article online where a danish ISIS-researcher went undercover in some of the channels there and witnessed not so cool things. This was years ago mind you.

I guess all this could be true for any chat application, almost.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
ICQ (I Seek You) too, no? I know that it was once the bees knees to have an ICQ account and I did too. The tech was originally israeli I believe, but now it's Russia-based. Still functions and I think has a large following too.

I also like Telegram. Sadly it has gotten a bad reputation of have being the go-to chat app for extremists. I don't know if that's the case anymore however.
I read that in an article online where a danish ISIS-researcher went undercover in some of the channels there and witnessed not so cool things. This was years ago mind you.

I guess all this could be true for any chat application, almost.
This is because they feel secure. I guess if something is secure, it is secure for all people...bad people too.

Reactions: diego and 123

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I just wish some Apple exec installs Telegram and sees how the messaging app should function in 2021. iMessage is a joke compared to it. And it is not related to its video capabilities.

If iMessage is a joke, why not just use Telegram and find happiness? If I felt the same way (and I don't) about iMessage that's what I'd be doing.

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Are you guys already using credit cards there??I was there 3-4 years ago and was rather surprised how often one still needed cash.
One still needs cash, especially in street shops, cafes and bars, irrespective of who is behind the counter.

Reactions: zeezun

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
China also does not like Telegram as it is a popular tool for protests in Hong Kong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.