Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hi, something just occurred to me and I tried searching for an answer but didn't find one.

If you order a MacBook Air with iWork, does it come pre-installed? Or do you need to install it yourself? And if it is preinstalled, is the disc included in the box?

I buy the SuperDrive anyway, it was just something I wondered about, thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
When I bought my MacBook in person at an Applestore, I opted for iWorks "preinstalled". They simply gave me a retail box version at the preinstalled price and I installed it myself at home. Not sure about online orders, though.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think if you buy it pre-installed from Online Store, you'll not get the box. I would buy the stock MBA and iWork separately so you get both few days earlier and the box as well.

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for the answers, I'm actually trying to reduce the amount of stuff I get in the post, so if they don't include the box I'll prefer it, but I guess I'll see.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for the answers, I'm actually trying to reduce the amount of stuff I get in the post, so if they don't include the box I'll prefer it, but I guess I'll see.

You will get a disk even if it is preinstalled. I don't believe it's preinstalled when you order it. I think it just gets you the discount. I could be wrong though, as I haven't done that in a long time.

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
I think if you buy it pre-installed from Online Store, you'll not get the box. I would buy the stock MBA and iWork separately so you get both few days earlier and the box as well.

I can't imagine you wouldn't get this discs despite not having the box. What is you have something endemic happen to your machine?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The main thing you need is the key. The version on the disk is the same version you download as a trial (in other words, you can always download it, if necessary).

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
The main thing you need is the key. The version on the disk is the same version you download as a trial (in other words, you can always download it, if necessary).
Ah, I'd forgotten that about the trial, thanks for reminding me. And from the online store; "iWork will be preinstalled on your Mac, so you'll have all three productivity applications available for immediate use." So all should be well whatever happens :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.