Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
another step closer

I'm with nwcs, Unreal Tournament is/was the ultimate classic for me. just loaded it up on an old G5 the other day, still have 2GB of maps for that game and the OS X crack. ah the good old days.

Ichneumon

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
This game. I just waisted 6 hours playing it. It's amazing. Die, aliens! Die! Die! Die!

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
This is awesome!

I like the way they tiered the features and pricing too... not that I would have minded a completely free version with all the features! :) But it's a good compromise. We get a great old-school free game, and they get money from people who might want to upgrade. And the upgrades are decent too, not like some of the dumb things I've seen people try and charge for in some other games. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think they made some smart business decisions that also work very well for me as a consumer. So a hat tip to you Bungie! :D

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I enjoy these games, butni always forget when I'm away from them for a while that they, for whatever reason, start to make me sick to my stomach after a while. Something about visual cues saying I'm moving while inner ear says I'm standing still, I think...

Interesting. I used to get similar from other games in the early 3d era - first noticed it watching my brother playing Dark Forces, and we both felt it from that. Never did get it from Marathon though, and played it rather a lot.

I always thought it had something to do with the incredibly natural feeling of movement in the game - the bouncing that made you really feel like walking/running, that every other game then lacked, and felt instead like sliding along, most unnatural. Something anyway, Bungie performed magic, and the Marathon games are still the best FPS ever.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Interesting. I used to get similar from other games in the early 3d era - first noticed it watching my brother playing Dark Forces, and we both felt it from that. Never did get it from Marathon though, and played it rather a lot.

I always thought it had something to do with the incredibly natural feeling of movement in the game - the bouncing that made you really feel like walking/running, that every other game then lacked, and felt instead like sliding along, most unnatural. Something anyway, Bungie performed magic, and the Marathon games are still the best FPS ever.

I got motion sickness from EVERY PC game I ever tried to play that involved any kind of FPS-type game play...

Marathon never did it to me.... until I started using it on my TAM... I was expecting greatness - much better graphics etc over my Quadra/LCIII... but I couldn't play it on the TAM's LCD without motion sickness. :(

I don't have an iPad, but am pleased Bungie have taken this route. I wonder if it's a precursor to something greater...

Oh - and - Marathon EVIL was the scariest 3rd party bundle! Scared the crap outta me!

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
This is so great

I am so glad that they released the game for free. I never got to play this game since I did not get my first Mac computer until 2004. I did download it last night and I am going to have fun playing it.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
pretty fun... control is tricky...

Well after having played it... it's pretty rad, but the controls are tricky, I find. No fault of Bungie, it's just that the ipad... has not buttons of course! And no tactile feedback. Makes it harder than it should be. Like I can't move my "head" around while while shooting at the same time! I have to do these 2 things independently. Which makes it much easier for aliens to kill me. Hopefully Marathon will also be released on a console (xbox I'm lookin' at you), then I can play it properly. But still, Marathon on ipad is nice. I just need to practice more I guess!

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Thanks, bungie!!!!

My nostalgia quota will be well fed this summer. I remember spending many a day playing the game when it was first released and was blown away by the graphics and game engine.

I think I may actually still have the original floppies! :p

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
Just found out Marathon is out for ipad, dl last night, and played for a short time before heading to bed.

Jog my memory please - is there anyway to jump in Marathon?

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
Nope, there's no jump in any of the Marathon games.

Been so long since I played, couldn't remember, thanks.

Never thought of trying in Marathon what can be done in UT, pointing a weapon at one's feet to get a lift. Will have to give that a shot whenever I get time to play again. Probably blow myself up real good.

Saw a review where the reviewer said there was minimal difference in getting the high def version of the game, but I may do that anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.