Burberry feels the 'chav' factor

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
The article requires paid subscription... so instead here's the full article.

From mad.co.uk:

Clothing label Burberry has reported a fall in demand in the UK market as it counts the cost of its association with the so-called 'chav' phenomenon.

The fashion house was announcing third-quarter figures, which showed that underlying sales were up 7 per cent in three months to 1 January, half the rate of growth in the first six months.

However, sales fell in the UK, which "was our weakest market", finance director Stacey Cartwright said.

Despite the downturn Cartwright said she was "pretty pleased" with the figures, adding, "This is a creditable performance in challenging markets. We deliberately managed the business for profit and resisted the temptation to go for an early sale."

She also suggested that the group's distinctive beige check, which is as likely to be worn by an English football supporter as it is a London banker, was nearing an end.

But it's this bit at the end that really gave me a chukkle...


She said the connection was "yesterday's news. We have all moved on from there. Anyway, a lot of what they wore was counterfeit so there's no real impact on us."
Stick it to them Chav's Stacey! :p :p :p
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,521
2,557
Sod off
OMFG, about a month ago I read a BBC article about hoodlum laws or something and they mentioned "chavs". What the heck is a Chav? I live on the wrong side of the pond.

There are some well-written and extremely hilarious definitions on Urbandictionary.com. I got to learn about the finer aspects of UK culture, such as "council estates" musical groups like "So Solid Crew", and such.

Ah, so Chav = trailer trash with an accent. :D

Burberry looks hideous, BTW.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Lord Blackadder said:
There are some well-written and extremely hilarious definitions on Urbandictionary.com. I got to learn about the finer aspects of UK culture, such as "council estates" musical groups like "So Solid Crew", and such.
Hehehehe I found out what it means on urban dictionary too. It so pwns any other dictionary. I loved the fact that one of the definitions actually mentioned wearing Burberry. :cool:
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,521
2,557
Sod off
kwaka6 said:
Any overseas readers unfamiliar with the UK "chav" phenomenon (sp?) may want to have a look at this site. Gives a bit of in-sight into this hilarious looking culture :D

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Nice. :D

On a somewhat related note, awhile back I came across a flash-based game called "Virtua Pikey" (I think that's what it was called), it was pretty funny.

EDIT: Link for game.
 

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
524
0
Chicago
The entire idea of a "Chav" culture as a "peasant" underclass overtaking your cities smells of elitist angst. (This language is taken directly from the Chav FAQ link above.) What, is the rest of society superior to this "underclass" because of their higher income? Because they're
better educated? I'm not sure exactly what the dislike of this "culture" really addresses. Is it the idea that these people can't really afford the nice clothing that they wear, the same clothing that delineates the "upper class" from the rest?

Give me a break. So because this "peasantry" isn't quite as well financially endowed, isn't quite as articulate, and not as well educated as the upper crust of London, they shouldn't get to hang out in the same places that the rest do?

Perhaps British popular culture doesn't embrace being "ghetto" as much as American pop culture does. But instead of picking on them, why not leave the less fortunate alone and let them dress how they want, speak how they want, and hang out where they want.
 

garybUK

Guest
Jun 3, 2002
1,466
2
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Perhaps British popular culture doesn't embrace being "ghetto" as much as American pop culture does. But instead of picking on them, why not leave the less fortunate alone and let them dress how they want, speak how they want, and hang out where they want.
Because they drive 1.0ltr Vauxhall Nova's with badly tinted windows and a bodykit / wheels /exhausts that cost more than the car with a stereo that just thumps mindless music from subs that make the car shake and stick neons on them .. uggghhh!!! all this (of course) is funded by the Giro's burning holes in their shell suits paid by us the working tax paying population.

OH and the other type of chav or scally is those that go round in american style caps and clothes with large medallians thinking they are in 'da ghetto' i can't be doing with them they should setup a island where we can deport them to ..... oh we already did that ;)
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
Buggers are multiplying, used to have tracksuits in my town and now the chavs are being noticed instead.

Pity we can't send them to Cambodia on mine clearance duties.
 

caveman_uk

Guest
Feb 17, 2003
2,391
1
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
The entire idea of a "Chav" culture as a "peasant" underclass overtaking your cities smells of elitist angst. (This language is taken directly from the Chav FAQ link above.) What, is the rest of society superior to this "underclass" because of their higher income? Because they're
better educated? I'm not sure exactly what the dislike of this "culture" really addresses. Is it the idea that these people can't really afford the nice clothing that they wear, the same clothing that delineates the "upper class" from the rest?

Give me a break. So because this "peasantry" isn't quite as well financially endowed, isn't quite as articulate, and not as well educated as the upper crust of London, they shouldn't get to hang out in the same places that the rest do?
Please don't spout philosophical bollocks when you haven't even met one. They could dress in all the stupid clothes, talk in f*ckwit and drive souped up wrecks all they wanted if they weren't such a bunch of ignorant, violent, thieving dole-scrounging wankers.

They are the epitome of the 'Isn't great to be a moron' culture that seems all too prevalent.
 

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
405
0
Manchester
caveman_uk said:
Please don't spout philosophical bollocks when you haven't even met one. They could dress in all the stupid clothes, talk in f*ckwit and drive souped up wrecks all they wanted if they weren't such a bunch of ignorant, violent, thieving dole-scrounging wankers.

They are the epitome of the 'Isn't great to be a moron' culture that seems all too prevalent.
If I could rate just this post, I'd give it five stars. Expertly put, caveman.
 

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
174
0
UK
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
The entire idea of a "Chav" culture as a "peasant" underclass overtaking your cities smells of elitist angst. (This language is taken directly from the Chav FAQ link above.) What, is the rest of society superior to this "underclass" because of their higher income? Because they're
better educated? I'm not sure exactly what the dislike of this "culture" really addresses. Is it the idea that these people can't really afford the nice clothing that they wear, the same clothing that delineates the "upper class" from the rest?

Give me a break. So because this "peasantry" isn't quite as well financially endowed, isn't quite as articulate, and not as well educated as the upper crust of London, they shouldn't get to hang out in the same places that the rest do?

Perhaps British popular culture doesn't embrace being "ghetto" as much as American pop culture does. But instead of picking on them, why not leave the less fortunate alone and let them dress how they want, speak how they want, and hang out where they want.
The dislike of this aspect of British youth culture has little to do with class or elitism, and far more to do with the fact that 'chavs' are aggressive pack-rats, with a hatred of anyone not like them. Spend an evening in any large town in the UK and endure the abuse and aggression of a group of sportswear-clad, would-be hard men, then you'll be in a better position to understand the dislike felt towards them.

I'm all for letting people live the life they want to live, but it cuts both ways and I can't feel much sympathy towards a group of people whose members are likely to spit on my shoes, or laugh at my haircut, or take the piss out of my clothes, as I walk past them in the street.
 

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
524
0
Chicago
caveman_uk said:
Please don't spout philosophical bollocks when you haven't even met one. They could dress in all the stupid clothes, talk in f*ckwit and drive souped up wrecks all they wanted if they weren't such a bunch of ignorant, violent, thieving dole-scrounging wankers.

They are the epitome of the 'Isn't great to be a moron' culture that seems all too prevalent.
Point well taken. But you'll have to pardon me. I guess I haven't been part of the upper crust for long enough to develop such a keen skill in stereotyping.

Read the article above that one poster was kind enough to share. You'll see the peasantry and underclass language used again and again. This is nothing more than stereotyping and scapegoating.

edit: p.s. You've probably guessed that I have the verbal facility and knowledge of Brit slang to similarly deride your analysis with such pleasant perjoratives as you've used. I'd just rather keep this discussion open. The mods around here have been clamping down on anything remotely resembling a flame war.
 

caveman_uk

Guest
Feb 17, 2003
2,391
1
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
I guess I haven't been part of the upper crust for long enough to develop such a keen skill in stereotyping.
Curiously I've never thought of myself as the 'Upper Crust'. Born in a terrace house, went to a state school, then to University - funded by the state as my parents didn't earn enough to pay for it. Have worked practically every day since then. One point you'll notice is that I used the State's money to 'better myself' and not just to sit on my arse all day with no intention of doing anything.

Consequently whilst I wouldn't call myself 'upper crust' I do think I'm better than them. Call it stereotyping all you want but once you've been seriously threatened with having your head kicked in by chavs you're not as charitable to them as you are.
 

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
405
0
Manchester
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Read the article above that one poster was kind enough to share. You'll see the peasantry and underclass language used again and again. This is nothing more than stereotyping and scapegoating.
But that's your entire experience of this cultural phenomenon: articles and second-hand information. If you had any real knowledge of the situation - if you saw how much of a no-go area our towns have become on Saturday afternoons and weekend nights - you might be qualified to offer a more relevant viewpoint. It's this kind of "but, it's thier environment!" rubbish that got this country in the state it's in now.
 

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
524
0
Chicago
Badradio said:
But that's your entire experience of this cultural phenomenon: articles and second-hand information. If you had any real knowledge of the situation - if you saw how much of a no-go area our towns have become on Saturday afternoons and weekend nights - you might be qualified to offer a more relevant viewpoint. It's this kind of "but, it's thier environment!" rubbish that got this country in the state it's in now.
Sorry, but no. I have my own experience with youth delinquents. I split my time between Pasadena, a suburb of Los Angeles, and Chicago, and there is no paucity of these inner city kids running around, creating trouble.

I suppose it could be my over-familiarity with these kids just being kids rather than a lack of knowledge of the problem. We have skaters. Goths. The automotive enthusiasts who install 12 inch exhaust pipes, 14 in subwoofers, and 20 inch rims on their cars. We just don't blame these kids for some lack of utopia.

Most of the middle class in the States have moved to the suburbs, where these kids can't afford to move. Some of the suburbs have even restricted apartment availibilty to near 0 in an effort to keep some people out.

Further, the police in these suburbs actively pull over any cars associated with our "chav" equivalent and harass them. Word gets out that they're not wanted in these specific areas. They don't return. If you're wearing baggy clothes, Sean John (P. Diddy the rapper's clothing line), or anything similar, you're subjected to the same treatment.

I oppose the identification by clothing, choice of car, hairstyle, and the like because it misses a plain point. Not every Burberry wearing, Honda driving, Puma sporting kid is a delinquent. Your government is handling it the right way by not singling out kids who "seem" to troublemakers just by their looks. Just wait until you or one of your kids is harrassed by a police officer just for the way he dresses or chooses to modify his car.

Perhaps then you won't so stridently subscribe to the chav hating.
 

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
405
0
Manchester
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Your government is handling it the right way by not singling out kids who "seem" to troublemakers just by their looks.
In Liverpool, there is a government-supported initiative to refuse entry into stores for anyone wearing a baseball cap with their hood up, or just with their hood up. There are posters everywhere explaining the rules and the police will enforce them. That's my point - things in the US and UK are different, so it's wrong to accuse us of class-stereotyping without all the facts to hand. I've travelled widely in the US and I know that the cultural divides there are much more pronounced, so I'm glad that someone like you is doing your bit to stick up for those from less-affluent backgrounds. I commend it.
But in the UK, our hands are tied. People under 16 here are so well-protected by law, we're powerless to do anything about juvenile crime and this "underclass" is the result.
I'm going to wrap it up there, as if this moves to the political forum, I haven't enough posts to continue the discussion. Just remember, sites like chavscum.com and the anti-chav articles are just our way of trying to make light of the situation in which we find ourselves.
 

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
1,613
0
aaargh! i hate them. lets wipe them all out they are the vermin of this country and all just need a good slapping, remove all of their financial support from the government and make then do some hard manual labour. that will get it out of them.
 

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
2,247
1
At home
caveman_uk said:
I'm sure they do. They probably think we're just 'c**ts' though - to use their favourite word (other than 'giro')
Down here in Cambridge its pronounced 'can't'. Unless the woman who goes past my flat most evenings is just telling her partner that he is unable to do something, because she keeps saying 'You can't Barry, you can't'.