Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
"The seven-star hotel is now giving 24-carat gold-plated iPads from Gold & Co to guests for use during their stay."

"They carry the Burj Al Arab's logo on the back and they are available for purchase in the hotel's boutique."

I'm confused...

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
"The seven-star hotel is now giving 24-carat gold-plated iPads from Gold & Co to guests for use during their stay."

"They carry the Burj Al Arab's logo on the back and they are available for purchase in the hotel's boutique."

I'm confused...
"For use during their stay"

macs4nw

macrumors 601

I'm confused...

It's in the text. Some guests might like to own such a device.
On a side note, can't help but wonder if these iPads will disappear, much like hotel towels seem to do? Built into the room rates I guess. :D

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
First this:
flavor-flav-300x300.jpg

Then the gold plated iPad. As Flavor Flav would say, "Yeah boy!"

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I'm thinking the same thing

They are $10k in the hotel shop. I am sure they couldn't care less about warranty.

At room rates a multiple at that people can afford to throw it away. They probably buy a new car when the ashtray is full :)

----------

Meanwhile in Africa and Asia...

I presume you don't have any luxury items yourself, work for charity and donate every disposable income and time you got ? If not than your (and others) comments are somewhat hypocritical.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
A few years back it was the fad to gold plate emblems and other metal car trim. It just stuck to the metal though an electrical current and you sort of painted on the solution. So I don't think anyone had to take it apart, and since 24k gold is far too soft they probably re-plate these all the time. It was very thin and did not last because if you polished it the gold would wear down fast. Sort of a pimp thing to impress 8th grade dropouts.

I think they will have to disassemble the ipad. Aluminium oxide (which makes up the anodised layer on the surface of the iPads aluminium shell) is not conductive so it wouldn't be possible to plate it with gold electrochemically unless it had been stripped off leaving bare aluminium exposed. To strip it it needs soaking in something nasty like caustic soda or chromic acid, which wouldn't be good for the devices internals!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.