Burnt out Macbook hard drive - suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joe.cavers, May 4, 2009.

1. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Hey guys,

My Macbook is approaching 3 years old, and this evening the hard drive decided to burn out. We're fairly sure this is what has happened, my friend had the exact same symptoms and that was Apple's diagnosis. It loads to the white screen, but instead of an apple logo, a folder appears with a question mark on it and it goes no further.

Last time I took my macbook in for repairs, I got them free because I had purchased it from the Education Store online. Reckon there is any chance of getting this repair free? They said I had 3 years of care on it.

If not I was thinking I'd try and fix it myself, as a hard drive replacement isn't the hardest thing in the world.

In the meantime, any suggestions that might suddenly make it work? We're pretty sure it's dead for the time being but you never know...

Cheers
    JC

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Startup on your OS install DVD and run Disk Utility First Aid on it. It might just be something corrupt.

3. joe.cavers thread starter macrumors regular

I tried doing this, that's holding C as you startup with the disk in the computer right? No response at all....

JC

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try holding down the "opt" key, then you can select the DVD (it'll show all bootable volumes it finds).

Once you've booted, and selected the language, you can get to the Disk Utility from the Menu.

5. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

If you have Applecare coverage, get it in before your warranty runs out. If you paid for it, why not use it?

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If your DVD doesn't start up either it is more than a bad hard drive. But yes try option as the other poster recommended and try to select your install DVD that came with your computer. You should definitely take it in if nothing works. The other thing you can try is holding down D at startup with your install DVD in the drive that came with your computer and then run the Apple Hardware Test.

7. joe.cavers thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, finally did get booted from the CD, but no luck. Disk Utility doesn't even detect the hard drive, only the optical one. I think the reason that it wasn't booting before was because the CD drive is also on it's way to dying.

TJRiver, I didn't pay for Applecare, I have some nondescript extended warranty provided because I bought in the Education Store. It's not quite as good as Applecare (from what I gathered last time) so I'm not sure if the repair would be free, or whether they would deem it not covered by warranty.

From looking around on the net, it seems to me that replacing the hard drive is fairly easy so I think I'll just do it myself, save the bother of having to send my mac away. It was gone for 2 weeks last time and I'm about to sit exams, so I sort of need it for revision! I can get a new drive in 2 days, so that'd be far quicker. I can also upgrade the size, 80gb was starting to get full.

Cheers for the input guys,
    JC

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Good plan. Just make sure that is the only problem with the machine first. Running the Apple Hardware Test would be a good start and then taking it in to see what they have to say. Diagnosis is free.

9. joe.cavers thread starter macrumors regular

I ran the Hardware Test, no problems. I assume thats because everything is fine ("everything" being what the computer can see, i.e. no hard drive).

Hard drive is on the way, should be fixed soon.

JC

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Ok good luck. The good news is that if it doesn't work you know you have to take it in. It does sound like you are correct with it being a faulty drive. Did it make any clicking noises before dying?

11. joe.cavers thread starter macrumors regular

Not at the time of dying, but when I switch it on now, you can hear it feebly trying to start up the drive, and then failing terribly.

A whole 2 days without my laptop......:eek:

JC