Burnt smell coming from my Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CyrusOz, Apr 2, 2011.

1. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Lately i have experienced a few problems with my Imac, slowing down and Invalid Volume Directory Account which i was able to fix with Disk Warrior luckily. But periodically over the last week or so I get this smell coming from my Imac that something is burning inside it... it's not too strong but it's definitely noticeable... has anybody else experienced this problem?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

An invalid volume directory count could be a sign of impending hard drive failure, or could have been a minor random glitch.

But if your iMac smells like something is burning, unless you're mistaking the smell of new electronics for something completely different, then you've got two options:

If it's still under warranty, back up any data that's not already backed up, then take it in to Apple right now, before it starts a fire and/or the hard drive dies.

If it's not under warranty, back up any data that's not already backed up, then take it in to Apple or another service provider right now, before it starts a fire or the hard drive dies.

Seriously--if it smells like something is burning, it probably is. A computer can sometimes continue to work through a catastrophic component failure, but the longer you use it the worse the problems are likely to get, up to and including a small broken component taking a bunch of other stuff with it.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would monitor the temps to see whats going on in there.

4. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

That's very sound advice mate and I appreciate it. As always the timing as terrible as my budget as totally dry now after just paying some house renovations amongst other things. Since making my post just before the smell has gone and I'm 'hoping' that it was nothing too serious. My warranty has run out and if this smell occurs again I'll have no choice but to turn it off until I can afford to take it in for repair.

Thanks again buddy

5. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow