But.....but....the 5c is a flop...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Toltepeceno, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toltepeceno, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ple-highest-growth-in-mid-range-iphone-market

Apparently it's not as big of a flop as the haters claim. Then again it's no secret that it's the second biggest selling smartphone.

Definition of flop:

Merriam webster

flop verb \ˈfläp\
    : to fall, lie, or sit down in a sudden, awkward, or relaxed way

:to fail completely

: to swing or move in a loose, awkward, or uncontrolled way

2. that be me macrumors 6502

Tim Cook says a product his company develops is not a flop.
    More at 11.

3. Toltepeceno, Jul 22, 2014

Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

OK, So tim cook is lying when he talks about sales growth and He's being dishonest about how it's outpaced the other mentioned phones. He must lie at keynote and everything that comes from apple is a lie. Got it, just how do you know all of this?

You really think it has "failed completely"?

Anyone that calls it a flop has no clue what the word really means.
    More at 11.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

Yea, I don't get the blind hate. Here I have never seen a 5s in the wild, only a few 5c's.

6. that be me macrumors 6502

Even if it was a flop, do you think Tim Cook, of ALL people would admit to it being a flop?

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time someone inflated or manipulated numbers to their own/their company's benefit.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Outstanding!!!

I don't care for the 5c, but I have a severe hatred for the 4/4s and if the 5c can bury that damn model of iPhone I'm all for it! The faster the 4/4s dies the happier I will be, even if it's the 5c that does it.

Just my personal preference and opinion, if you have and/or like the 4/4s I've got nothing against you for it.

8. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

A lot of the people in my close circle of friends and coworkers have iPhones, but almost a year after it came out I'm still the ONLY person I know of that has a 5S. My wife and one or two friends have 5C's, a few people have the 5, and the rest seem to have the 4S still. I'm baffled that I have yet to see a single other 5S in the wild with my own eyes.

Unless you're in an urban center seeing people on the bus everyday or happen to live in a high income area chances are most people in your area are more budget oriented and either run an older phone for longer, or upgrade to the less expensive models. Most people around here will go with whichever model is free on a contract at the time and don't care that their phone might only see one more fully functional iOS update.

I'm also the only person I know with a 32GB iPhone, my local Telus store doesn't even get anything higher than 16GB in for inventory because they very rarely sell the larger capacities. You have to special order 32GB and up to get one at a carrier around here.

One of the guys I work with plans to buy the biggest screen and capacity iPhone 6 available when they come out and that's unheard of around here.

I guess the moral of my story is cost is the biggest actor to a HUGE majority of iPhone buyers. I'll have to ask my buddy at Telus what he figures the ratio of 5S-to-5C sales would be at his store as I'm curious to know now. I'm willing to bet 5C/4S still outsells the 5S around here by a large margin.

9. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Where do you live? In Toronto 5S is very common.

----------

To be very honest I don't understand why people hate it. I wasn't sure about the plastic but when I felt it in store it was amazing. I think they've done a good job with it and the colours are quite attractive. When I see one from afar, I can tell it's an iPhone 5C. So in my eyes it's a pass!

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I work at a university (a public one, so not a place full of rich kids like MIT or Harvard) and I see tons of iPhone 5 and 5s, very few 5c. Also lots of kids with iPhone 4/4s, including many with cracked screens.

Considering that students often don't have that much money, this surprises me. I think a lot of them realize that the cost delta between 5c and 5s is worth what you get. Or mommy and daddy are buying them for them.

11. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

I'm in rural Nova Scotia. I would fully expect Toronto, or any large city for that matter, to have the latest and greatest out in large numbers or at least be more noticeable. If I was to go to Halifax and really pay attention I'm sure I would see plenty of 5S users as well, but I'd figure the ratio relative to population would still be roughly the same.

12. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

only positive thing about the 5c is that it feels better than 5/5s, sure plastic is cheap but it grip better in my hands.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Interesting. Probably a side effect of plans for less expensive phones being cheaper where you live. In the US, used to be if you wanted an iPhone, you're tied to an expensive AT&T contract (then Verizon a few years later) regardless of model. Granted, I reckon most people here also buy the base model but I'm guessing there's enough demand for higher capacities since there always appears to be stock of the 64GB iPhones or 128GB iPads in AT&T and Verizon stores. I remember them not being available from T-Mobile, though (likely because Tmo caters to the more frugal).

Cost is the biggest factor to a HUGE majority of phone buyers. That's the reason why Android has bigger marketshare.

My money's on mommy and daddy buying (or at least paying a lion share of the cellphone plan). I doubt they're paying full MSRP and the monthly fees for subsidized plans are just way too high for most college students. My cousin got a 4S back when she used to be on her parents' plan but they moved to a different country so now she's on her own. With living expenses and trying to pay off student loans, she's just using her iPhone as an iPod Touch since she doesn't want to waste money on mobile service. She lives on campus so she always has wifi anyway. :p

14. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate the 4/4s design? I quite like it but share your lack of disdain for those who differ in opinion. :)

In fairness, the back was absolutely shatter prone, and the antenna was of ambiguous quality.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Just wondering... What's wrong with the 4/4s?

16. cynics macrumors G4

I'm curious why you hate the 4/4S as well.

I was just about to sarcastically ask the OP who would hate the 5C so much as it's just an inanimate object. Then I read your post. I guess it's such a foreign concept for me to be so emotionally invested in phones I'd "severely hate" one.

17. eyoungren, Jul 22, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sure, I don't mind the questions.

First off, one of the biggest reasons I invest in a phone is looks. That may be shallow, but I don't sell my phones and I usually end up in a 2 year contract where I end up having the phone out of contract for a year or so.

So, looks are important because I will have this phone for anywhere from two to three years. I also tend to invest emotionally in devices that I will have for awhile. With that in mind there are a couple of factors I do not like about the iPhone 4/4s aesthetically. I prefer black. The iPhone 4/4s came in black. That's fine. But Apple chose to use a shiny aluminum band for the sides of the phone. To me, that just ruins the look. Next, with all that glass, if you turn the phone on it's side you can see that it looks pretty thick. Another point I don't care for.

The next couple of points are strictly situational because not every iPhone 4/4s owner uses a bumper or an Otterbox case. But, a lot of iPhone 4/4s owners put bumpers on their iPhones (I get it, Antennagate and all that). A lot of the ones I've seen have been this neon fugly look. That right there really killed any good looks of the phone for me. Some people chose Otterboxes for their phones. I get that too. You make a big investment, you want to protect it. But I don't see the point in casing a phone and killing the beauty of it entirely with a case. With Otterboxes it's the worst of all kinds of things because you can never tell what's actually inside one of those fugly things!

Add in the fact that as mentioned, the back had a bad habit of being shatter prone. Last, but certainly not least is the fact that the ONE time I purchase a brand new Apple product direct from Apple, Apple kicks my product to the curb in favor of - the iPhone 4s.

I went through the entire pre-order and launch day experience, get a FLAGSHIP iPhone 5, one of the best looking models and when it comes time for the 5s to come up what does Apple do? They decide that the 4s is such a winner that they will keep making it instead of moving the 5 down, like they did the 4 in favor of the 4s, and they discontinue the 5. The insult to injury was repackaging the 5 as the 5c and calling it "new"!

So, yay me! My one first time experience with a brand new Apple product and Apple says "Your iPhone isn't good enough to continue to keep making!" But the damn iPhone 4s, a model made in 2011 and older than the iPhone 5 sure is!

So…there it is. It's irrational and petty and probably immature, but it's my reasons.

But as I said earlier, it's only my personal opinions and preference. As an iPhone the 4 and 4s are good iPhones and I don't judge anyone that owns one less for having one. It's just not the iPhone for me.

18. chupachup macrumors 6502

1) Tim Cook will never say anything failed, even if it did.

2) The iPhone 5c isn't a total flop. They did sell to some users, I think the issue was that it wasn't the device they had envisioned. They thought they would sell millions of these things overseas, and NOBODY buys these things overseas.

I live in Thailand where the iPhone sells like hotcakes and I have seen 1 person once using an iPhone 5c.

It's a shame really because I like the phone.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

One, it's the 5c that replaced the 5, not the 4s. The 4s just took over the place of the 4 as the "free" iPhone. Two, it's not that the 5 wasn't good enough to continue making. It's more like it's probably too good and might have detracted from 5s sales so instead, they made some cost cutting measures while adding color to the line and came up with the 5c. :rolleyes:

As for the increase in 5c's sales, that likely had more to do with the release of a less expensive 8GB model as well as all the recent discounts. At $100/550 for 16GB, it didn't exactly gain much traction but as of late, I've seen carriers offering the 32GB model for free with 2-year contract. If I didn't already have a 5/5s, I'd probably go for it.

20. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Same here. It seems like people at my school only settle for the 5C either because it is all they can convince their parents to pay for, or the girls like the bright colors.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're correct in that the 5c replaced the 5. I'll reword my statement to say that when the 5s and 5c were released Apple chose to continue making the 4s and to discontinue the 5 and replace it with the 5c.

I didn't care for that as I saw it as Apple choosing the 4s over the 5. Considering that there is not much difference between the 5s and the 5, except in radios and some slight upgrades as well as TouchID I certainly buy the argument that the 5 would have detracted from 5s sales. That thought was also being talked about around the release time of the 5s.

Objectively, I understand all of this. Apple is a business and while they have excellent customer service, like all business' they exist to make money. Apple will sell what makes them the most money. It just stung that as a first time purchaser of a brand new Apple product, the device I chose was discontinued after two years in favor of a product I already didn't like and a new product I didn't much care for.

22. towg macrumors regular

If you gave me the decision between a 5s and a 5c and offered them for free I would pick the C everytime. Much nicer in the hand.

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Same here. I only see a few people with a 5s.. Most people at my college have the 5/5c.

24. Ann P macrumors 68020

Interesting. I rarely see the 5C out in the wild.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like my 5C, I've seen them in the wild, though not as much as other iPhone models.

They seem to be holding their value on swappa as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.