Butterfly Keyboard 2.0 is much better than 2016 MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TriApple, Oct 30, 2016.

1. TriApple macrumors member

Just getting around to using my base 13" new MBP.. have the 2016 MacBook m5... the new keyboard is significantly better. I know it has been said, but you really need to use it know how much better it is than the macbook, even the 2016 one..

2. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

Hey dude! That's great to hear about the new keyboard. I'm still trying to get use to it when I played around with one at a store. By the by, do you think 8GB of ram will last a good couple of years?

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I wouldn't say much better, but it sits right between the feel of the MacBook keyboard and the magic keyboard

4. TriApple thread starter macrumors member

IMO, it is MUCH better, I got used to the MacBook keyboard, and typing on one and then the other... which I am doing right now... its a noticeable difference

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Absolutely a noticeable difference, but I really think the person that hates the MacBook keyboard will only tolerate the new keyboard.

6. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

I've used it and I'm not a big fan. And I write for a living. The old keyboard is far superior in my opinion, so much so that I bought a 2015 Macbook Pro refurb a few days ago to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Pro. It wasn't a money thing as much as it was a legacy decision: more useful ports, better keyboard, and more bang for less bucks.

7. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

is the travel greatly increased, does it feel clickier whereas rMB does not-- can you elaborate

8. smoledman macrumors 68000

Stockholm Syndrome has set in. Who needs better keyboard, ethernet port, USB-A port? You know things that a PRO might care about?

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

but ethernet boat sailed away with the prior retina pros, and died with classic unibody

10. smoledman macrumors 68000

Thing is unless you are super-privileged to work in a super-modern tech campus(Apple, MS, Facebook, Google) wireless networks can be very unreliable and having ethernet access is a MUST. This is 1 reason why corporations will not adopt Macbooks.

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Eh they didn't during Ethernet days either. Cost is #1 reason for corporations to not have all their employeees have apple vs dell/hp. Bulk purchase you get significant breaks Never mind the Msrp hike/apple tax

12. smoledman macrumors 68000

Yeah many companies don't even purchase, they lease from Dell/HP. You can't do that with Apple. So when I keep seeing people say that Apple is 'winning' enterprise I laugh. Unless of course you count BYOD.

13. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I don't hate the keyboard on the MacBook but I clearly prefer the old one. Do you think someone like me could get used to the new v2 of the butterfly keyboard?

I need a little bit more travel than the one on the MacBook 2015, which is the one I've tried.

Here there are no new MacBook Pros yet to try it, and I have to make a decision whether to buy a 2015 Pro with a great deal right now or wait three weeks to try the new one. My main interest in the new one is only that it's more lighter, and that's a huge plus for me, but I don't want to be stuck with a keyboard I can't work with comfortably.

How big is that difference? Does it have more travel? Is it enough to make it really tolerable?

14. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

How is the new keyboard vs. the Magic Keyboard 2? I don't mind the short travel of the Magic Keyboard 2 -- almost like it more than the old MBP keyboard.. But, wasn't entirely in love with the MacBook butterfly keyboard -- it wasn't bad when I tried it, but, it felt like there needed to be a bit more travel.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The new Keyboard 2.0 is gonna feel much worse after the conventional scissor keyboard , trust me, esp. to those that have never typed on the butterfly keyboard before.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

like I said earlier it sits right between the rMB and the magic keyboard. If you can try both the travel is smack in the middle of the two.

17. eric.john macrumors member

Went to my local apple store yesterday to test the non touch bar '13 (to get a better idea of my preorder, a touch bar 13) and i must say the new keyboard was better than expected.

18. CreativeC macrumors member

It's between garbage and unusable. I wouldn't say it's "much better"

19. drvelocity macrumors member

Coming from a programmer who has been on the Macbook pro for (maybe?) 10 years and gotten used to that keyboard, I was DREADING the new butterfly keyboard. I tried the gen 1 out a few months ago and wasn't completely horrified but I could definitely see where touch typing would be more difficult with such low key travel.

I just tried the gen 2 keyboard in store yesterday, and it is a huge difference in terms of tactile feedback. Travel remains the same but the keys are clickier, offering that much-needed haptic feedback that allows for fast typing.

Here's the thing: I found that I was actually able to type FASTER on the new keyboard than on mine, and that's without any adjustment time. Frankly, I'm not worried at all about the keyboard. That escape key, on the other hand...

20. BondFancy macrumors 6502

Really glad to hear that. I had the same first perception of the rMB's keyboard. Hopefully GEN 2 for me should be perfect.

21. dyn macrumors 68030

It returned with this new MBP since it is part of Thunderbolt 3. And because it is part of TB3 you get a 40Gbps ethernet connection.

22. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Tried it for 10 minutes and couldn't stand it. But clearly you'd need at least 2 weeks to get used to ANY new keyboard in earnest.

It will be interesting to see what real users think in 2017.

23. chabig macrumors 68040

Corporations will adopt MacBooks and use them on Ethernet networks just fine.

24. viljamip macrumors regular

I have already binded my caps lock to function as the esc key. It's a lot better than the normal position for esc and it's easy to configure with newest version of Sierra.

25. crassapple Suspended

I'm a heavy vi user and plan to get the non-TB version for that reason. Glad you found the new keyboard satisfactory.