Button came off partially!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zoran macrumors 68030

Pressed forcefully by accident and this happened. Still works but even by pressing it it wont button back as it was. Im afraid to take it off cause i dont know how and im worried i might break it completely. What should i do? MacBookPro-button.jpg

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you have two options.
    1. Try pressing or working it back in.
    2. Call apple and schedule a repair.

By the way, unless you're pounding the crap out this, that should not have occurred. Keyboards are meant to be used and its bummer your key came off like that :(

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How old is the computer?

The letter "a" (quite an important one) and - bizarrely - the number "1" both came off in exactly that way when I was working abroad in a challenging environment a few years ago.

Precisely because I was working abroad (in a conflict torn poverty stricken country with no Apple support), I had to wait until I was home on leave before I could have it seen to. Luckily, the computer was still under warranty, and Apple replaced not only the offending keys, but the entire keyboard.

Good advice.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok i will admit it... it was pounded by a toddler! :-D
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2017 ---
    Okay GoodAdvice but comeon, this has to be easy, im not gonna wait or pay for something like this! ;-)

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe not. It might just be dislodged or then again it could be broken and will require replacement of the keyboard. If out of warranty you WILL have to pay for it.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes. And?

No, it is not easy. And yes, you may have to wait, and yes, you may have to pay.

"You are not gonna wait or pay for something like this" - Why ever not? It s broken.

Are you competent to repair it yourself?

Did you read my post?

The same thing happened to me and the key was - both keys were - broken. It could not be repaired, so Apple replaced the entire keyboard - which, as the computer was still under warranty (I always buy Applecare) did not cost me anything.
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2017 ---
    Thank you.

This is what I have been trying to explain.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok, so i didnt see that it might be the whole keyboard, i thought it could have been only the button!

8. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

The keycaps require a special way of clicking them back onto the butterfly switch:

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, that is what I had thought, too, initially.

While I was able to temporarily re-attach the key in question (the letter 'a'), it kept coming off.

As I was abroad, I couldn't get it seen to until I returned home on leave. That was when I took it to an Apple authorised dealer, and where it was explained to me that they would need to replace the entire keyboard, which is, in fact, what happened.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Are the butons all the same, cause this is from a MacBook... mine is a MacBookPro.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No, all of the buttons are not the same.

12. jerryk macrumors 68040

They are not the same. The ones of the same size are the same. But on the rMBP, return, spacebar, and I think the shift keys and caps lock have metallic wire clips that span the length of the keys so if you press at the edge it is the same as pressing in the center. These clips have little holes on the bottom of the keys the wires fit in to.

This video does a good job explaining how to remove, clean, and re-attach the keys.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This actually just happened to my Keyboard in a different way. The Command key was "Crunching" when depressing and mine was replaced with a new unit.

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030