Buy 15" rMBP NOW or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rbvan, Dec 13, 2012.

1. rbvan macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new 15" MBP. I'm struggling over whether to purchase the classic MBP or the new Retina. If I purchase the classic MBP, I would be removing the HDD and replacing it with a 256GB SSD anyhow, so the price would be the same as the rMBP. I would choose the 2.6/16GB RAM/256GB SSD options.

The thing I'm worried about with the new rMBP is that it's a first generation and I've read reviews of it being quite hot, along with some other display issues. I would hate to invest the money and then learn that the 2013 version will have some hardware changes.

If I purchase the classic now, and it being near the end of it's product life cycle, Apple may offer all the same goodies with a Retina screen and perhaps a new unibody???

My uses: Serious hobbyist photographer who uses Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS6, Nik Software plug-ins and a lot of web surfing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not near the product life cycle, its been only only 6 months and basically if you need one now, then buy one. If you can wait 4 or 5 months when Haswell is out, then wait for that new chipset.

I use LR and my rMBP is blazing quick so the current machines are plenty powerful

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

If you can wait then wait but if you need one now then that's you're answer. It's an incredible machine and will handle everything pretty well - for this year and years to come.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

always wait... ...forever...

I dont understand the logic in these posts. Why would you let someone decide for YOU? What do you want to do?

5. mrbigglessworth macrumors member

Ive had my 2.6/512/16 for a few days now and it is much cooler than any other laptop I have ever used.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive had my 2.3/16/512 since late August and Ive been EXTREMELY happy.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Personally, I'm waiting for Haswell. But, that's because I can wait. Also, I think it'll solve some issues, like fixing the UI studdering, and I really want wireless 802.11ac support for futureproofing.

8. bill-p, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

bill-p macrumors 65816

It's super screenshot time!

lookie

Adobe just released retina updates to Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom...

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Where can I download these updates? I tried their website but it says its not compatible/needed but Im on CS6 10.1 and I believe the update is 10.2 or 10.0.2.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Then repeat... wait some more.

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

From what I've read you have to update the Adobe Updater, then it should go through.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lol, so update the updater then update... wow.

13. foobi macrumors regular

14. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Had mine since 8pm. It's now 9:30 and I'm grinning like a loon.

Cant work out how to view this thread so I can see all of bill-p's picture without having to scroll, though.

15. bill-p macrumors 65816

For Photoshop CS6, the updater didn't work for me until early today. What I had to do was update Adobe Application Manager, and then go to Photoshop and choose the update menu from there.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4774&PID=3146232

And I had to repeat that process for Dreamweaver + Illustrator as well. But now that they're all Retina... man...

For Lightroom, the update is here:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5520

Or I can just fix that post and make it into a link so that it won't break the layout anymore. And if it's a link, you can zoom in or out just fine.

And... done.

16. rbvan thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand why you need to be so irritated? I'm not asking for someone to make a decision for me, I wanted opinions from other members who may be more "in-the-know" about any other issues or reasons to wait.

Must I have one today, no. Do I want one today? Yes. I can probably wait, but if there are no major changes coming and the few issues that have been reported are easily resolveable, then why wait?

Also, you can sometimes learn new information
    from forum members. For example, I had no idea about what Haswell was and learned that from one of the responses!

To the other forum members who responded - thanks so much! Those posters who commented about loving their new machines.. That's great news and I'm happy to hear it.

It is that "flicker" issue that I'm hearing about but from what I've read, an EFI update may resolve it?

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Not irritated, sorry I came off that way.

If it were me, Id pick one up. I love mine. Even when the 2nd gen comes out, it will be a killer machine. You could always sell, upgrade and pay the difference which is what I will do.

18. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Think the flicker issue is on Mac Minis using HDMI.

On the whole waiting issue, I'm going to be in the position to buy a rMBP next month. Now I could wait for Haswell, but then they'll be a new next big thing on the horizon ad infinitum. There's no point in Tech in playing the waiting game, just decide if the current model suits what you need and if no and it's not urgent then wait. If yes and it's what you want then go for it.

The people who have had issues are always going to be the most vocal, making the problems seem more widespread than they actually are. Have read enough posts by happy rMBP owners so I will not be hesitating next month to get a rMBP as the screen is amazing. And although probably not to the same extent you are, but photography is also a hobby of mine and with Aperture (prefer it over Lightroom personally), and PS CS6 are retina capable now it seems like a no brainer to go for a rMBP over the cMBP.

19. bill-p macrumors 65816

And of course, the icing on the cake would be that if/when Apple updates the Retina MacBook Pro 15" drivers next... and they can enable OpenCL on the GeForce GT 650M, then Photoshop CS6 will get just that much faster.

[​IMG]

Not like the rMBP is slow, but... it can still get a lot faster and better than how it is right now after some software enhancements.

[​IMG]

20. Ploki macrumors 68000

Nice, OpenCL is getting some attention again.

Anyways, I said, when i7's got out, that I'll update when they:
    a) update the chassis (Checked)
    b) match the performance to the level of my (now ex) 8x2.8 2008 Mac Pro (Actually, the performance is better not only matching now)

Since both are true, I have no excuse to continue waiting. I'm ordering mine tomorrow.

I can't imagine what people do. My 8core Mac Pro was a soaring machine, I could throw anything at it (I do Audio.)... And it even had HDDs not SSDs. This laptop will probably explode my mind when I first start working on it.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get one if you want one (and can reasonably afford it).

Don't get into debt for something you won't need. Otherwise why worry about updates?

OpenCL is already supported on the GT 650M and it's already checked on my computer.

[​IMG]

(Please use TIMG tags!)

22. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

It doesn't sound like the issue is money. You are worried about 1st gen. problems because a lot of talk has probably given you nerves about it.

The only real problem is that IPS screens sometimes have image retention. Apple will try to tell you they all do but that is bupkis, they don't all have it. LG screens are notorious for having it. Some say it takes 2-3 months for it to show up. I got one that had it bad from day 1. Apple took it back, no gripes and replaced it. I got another one that also has an LG screen but no image retention. It's only been 3 days though. I run the checkerboard test daily, nothing. I have two retina MBPs and the other has a Samsung screen. Both laptops look identical, I mean I could not tell them apart if you blindfolded me and switched them around.

If you got one and it had IR, you could return within 14 days and they have to take it back. If you get one and IR shows up past the 14 day mark, they'll replace the screen if it's bad. Some people have had trouble, but most posts I read seem to indicate that Apple will just do replacement most of the time. You have a year from the purchase date apparently to get this kind of problem resolved if it happens. There's no guarantee this issue will go away with the next gen. of laptops either. I never play that waiting game, I buy when I need to. I sell my used gear and I'm always amazed at how much value they retain. I sold a year old laptop not long ago and got all but $170 of my original purchase price. So don't forget about using the used market later if you really want that next gen. when it comes out, you really won't be leaving very much money on the table doing it.

People talk about this lag problem too while surfing. I can't make it happen. I wonder if those who are having it are running something other than Safari. with Safari I can't find a website that doesn't load normally. I'm not saying it's not real, I just can't duplicate it.

The 15" rMBP is a freaking powerhouse of a computer. I can't bog it down. It loads everything like lightning and anything I do in Photoshop goes like a dog on fire.

23. bill-p macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tip!

After restarting, I see that OpenCL is now enabled on my computer, too.

Weird... I can't say what caused it to be unavailable at that time, but it sure does make a sizable difference now.

24. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I don't claim to be as savvy as any of the peeps here. But here's my deal. I too am in the market for a new 15". My current one i bought in 2009. I went out and bought a MBP and added ram. Brought it home and man, it's really a great machine. Then I lined it up next to my 2009 model. My 2009 model has a decidedly sharper, more defined display. I looked at it for 2 weeks. NOT MY IMAGINATION. So I brought back, and the techi eventually agreed with me. The floor models also looked better, so they gave me another one. Same thing though. So I brought it back, started playing with the Retina, and it became clear. I have to have the retina. But I will never buy a 1st generation anything. Therefore I will wait. It could be March. It could be June. But I will wait either way for the 2nd generation rMBP