Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Never wait. Life is to short. Most upgrades are relativlely minor, and yes, to me the retina upgrade was minor. So minor, I bought the cMBP for upgradability, rather than have a pretty screen!

Personnaly, I think Haswell is minor. Sure a bit faster, less heat, and maybe a better Intel GPU, and a smaller die form. All minor to me. It definetly will not revolutionary change my computer.

jemesouviens

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
I don't claim to be as savvy as any of the peeps here. But here's my deal. I too am in the market for a new 15". My current one i bought in 2009. I went out and bought a MBP and added ram. Brought it home and man, it's really a great machine. Then I lined it up next to my 2009 model. My 2009 model has a decidedly sharper, more defined display. I looked at it for 2 weeks. NOT MY IMAGINATION. So I brought back, and the techi eventually agreed with me. The floor models also looked better, so they gave me another one. Same thing though. So I brought it back, started playing with the Retina, and it became clear. I have to have the retina. But I will never buy a 1st generation anything. Therefore I will wait. It could be March. It could be June. But I will wait either way for the 2nd generation rMBP

I totally agree with this. It's not the money, I just don't want to beta test a product for Apple!

Haswell shouldn't be accorded too much importance by those in the market for a rmbp 15", however one would expect it to have a more significant impact on those models lacking a discrete GPU.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You can spend your life waiting on the next big thing or bargain. In the meantime, the value you place on that new machine is lost for X days you can't get back.

You can make more money...but not time. ;)

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
You can spend your life waiting on the next big thing or bargain. In the meantime, the value you place on that new machine is lost for X days you can't get back.

couldnt have said it any better...!

jemesouviens

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012

This is a good philosophy and one I adopt for a mature product - the Air for example.

Where there is teething trouble - image retention, unoptimised apps, white screen, heat issues etc etc, I prefer to keep my powder dry until they've been sorted out.

Life is indeed short, much too short to spend it on the phone to Apple support.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Where there is teething trouble - image retention, unoptimised apps, white screen, heat issues etc etc, I prefer to keep my powder dry until they've been sorted out.

Life is indeed short, much too short to spend it on the phone to Apple support.

Neither the wife nor I have had the first problem with our rMBPs. The wife is si very happy to be off Windows before Win 8 hit. ;)

I doubt very seriously that the problem level reported on this or any other BBS represents a statistically significant percentage of owners. If it did, the press would be all over all Apple....just like for the Maps mess. Of course only Apple knows for sure the problem rate vs. number of machines sold.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I totally agree with this. It's not the money, I just don't want to beta test a product for Apple!

Haswell shouldn't be accorded too much importance by those in the market for a rmbp 15", however one would expect it to have a more significant impact on those models lacking a discrete GPU.

Man I hate being a beta test. This reliable laptop that is great in every way.....man I wish I thought twice before I bought it. :rolleyes:

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
People who wait "for the next generation" are certainly commended for being cautious and being able to delay gratification. That is as long as they seem to have a meaningful goal. The rMBP isn't really anything new, it's a continuation of a line that's been around for many years. The asset ion that this is some kind of 1st generation device is silly. It's an older platform than the Air. It's a new type of screen and a slight bump in cpu/gpu/mem and they added a SSD (this is not a new thing either, they've been around years now) and removing the optical drive. There's nothing radical going on here, it's just more like an Air now. The rMBP is a solidly built, impeccably designed continuation of the MBP model line in the 15" form factor. It's not some radical new departure from the product line in any way.

Image retention is not a new issue. It's been around since LCDs took over from CRTs. It's a problem that continues to plague some screens. It shouldn't keep someone from moving from those old TN type panels though because it definitely isn't an insurmountable issue.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I'm waiting with the hope that the battery will not be glued to the chassis. Is this no longer a possibility now that they've made the design thinner :confused:?

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Honestly, its all up to you whether you want to wait or not. Keep in mind that your thinking process is a never ending cycle. Next cycle will have something you think will be worth waiting for.

Running retina photoshop, great battery life, nice screen, thin and light form factor, ultra settings on games..come on, can you really wait? :rolleyes::cool:

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
I'm in the wait camp. You've already waited halfway through the cycle. Haswell will be a minor speed bump, but the power savings and the internal GPU performance should be significant., which is really important for processing the retina graphics.

Also by the next cycle most software issues should be worked out.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
where

Get one if you want one (and can reasonably afford it).

Don't get into debt for something you won't need. Otherwise why worry about updates?

OpenCL is already supported on the GT 650M and it's already checked on my computer.

mr_pscs6130201-121412.png

(Please use TIMG tags!)

where are these settings enabled?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I think it also comes down to if you need the device now or can wait.

For instance I'm in a situation where I need a notebook, and good one as I can't use my desktop on the go or in labs.

So for me, I am going to buy the rMBP, I just need to decide of the SSD size.

Also not buying a first gen product? Does that mean none of these people own an iPhone 3G, 4 or 5? Each products has it's problems and niggles.
You really need to weigh your options of need vs want, if you only want sure, wait.

If you're in a situation of need, then get it.

Here's an interesting thread discussing Haswell from an extreme-hobbyist/overclockers point of view.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...tel-Haswell-models-leaked-in-official-roadmap

You can see that the new integrated GPU is called the 4600, so whether that's going to introduce that huge boost in performance you want you don't know.

Personally I'd like to wait for Haswell, only because I would like the extra performance, even if it's only the usual 10-15% increase for the same power usage.

I can't however.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
I took the plunge. Ordered it on Tuesday, it arrived on Thursday, and I've been grinning like a loon ever since.

What an amazing piece of kit! :D

I've managed to resist the urge to lick it, but only just. :eek:

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I am in the same boat.

I'm ready to upgrade my ancient Santa Rosa MBP, but I do video work and the prospect of a 2GB graphics card in the next rMBP is hard to not wait for.

I understand it's a beast as it is, but I'd like to maximize my investment and have it be relevant as long as this 07 model did when I'm spending upwards of $2k.

With new higher video resolutions graphics memory and chips are more important than ever. It's a hard decision for sure.

rbvan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Thanks to everyone who has responded... it has been great!

The real reason I want to upgrade my 2009 MBP is for the quad-core processor and SSD. I ran a filter in Photoshop and it took 62 seconds on my current MBP. I put the same TIFF image on an SD card and brought it to my local Apple store, plugged in the card to a non-retina MBP with 2.6Ghz quad-core processor, launched Photoshop (which was installed on the demo) and it took only 14 seconds to apply the same filter. That is pretty amazing.

The rMBP with current specs will, I'm sure, do everything I need it to do. My goal is to keep the machine for at least 6 years (unless something goes wrong with it) which I think is realistic given the investment. I can also sell my existing MBP to put toward the purchase.

What is scaring me is really the retina screen. I read some reviews over on Amazon and there are many complaints of IR (ghosting) and Apple is apparently now refusing exchanges - stating the screen is operating within specs. I know some of you are loving it and have no reported issues, but it seems to be it's like a gamble. Some are fine, others are not. This is what has me a bit worried.

I could just go with the cMBP but because I want it to be a long-term purchase, I'm thinking the retina will be the way forward. Still deciding but am very tempted. :cool:

Refurb82

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Bought mine in August (base model), I do mainly website design, Facebook start ups for local businesses. I use photoshop, light room and I game A LOT. I never ever pc games until my rmbp. It is by far, the best computer I have ever owned. No issues. Fast as hell and handles anything and everything I throw at it. I have zero regrets. I've owned 11  laptops over the past 6 years because I always end up needing more out of the machine. Not this time. I absolutely love my retina. I couldn't in good conscience steer someone away from purchasing it. I am amazed daily at how capable it is without ever a hiccup.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I'm in the wait camp. You've already waited halfway through the cycle. Haswell will be a minor speed bump, but the power savings and the internal GPU performance should be significant., which is really important for processing the retina graphics.

Also by the next cycle most software issues should be worked out.

THANK YOU. If we were in July 2012, I would feel different. But we are just short of a update. I didn't even know about Haswell until I started readin this forum. But perhaps Apple will reverse their new policy of making decide on the final configuration on the day you buy your $2400 laptop. Perhaps they might give you back the option of having a adherent port for the many times I stay at hotels in 3rd world countries. I will wait the few months to see what arbitrary thing they will put back in or take away

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
always wait... ...forever...

I dont understand the logic in these posts. Why would you let someone decide for YOU? What do you want to do?

Perhaps, it is to see if the OP has missed something while he considered the two machines. He just wants to check if someone has a better idea before he moves in and buys the bomb.

I too am in a similar dilemma: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16506087/

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
THANK YOU. If we were in July 2012, I would feel different. But we are just short of a update. I didn't even know about Haswell until I started readin this forum. But perhaps Apple will reverse their new policy of making decide on the final configuration on the day you buy your $2400 laptop. Perhaps they might give you back the option of having a adherent port for the many times I stay at hotels in 3rd world countries. I will wait the few months to see what arbitrary thing they will put back in or take away

We're looking at roughly 4-six months before Haswell is estimated to arrive.

Then you also have to take into account Apple, how often do we get new products on the exact time a new CPU arch is released?

Here's a link to the Intel roadmadp.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...tel-Haswell-models-leaked-in-official-roadmap

The power consumption on Haswell is actually UP on the mobile line due to the iGPU and as usual nothing is conclusive until parts are actually released and benchmarked.

Personally I'm in a real predicament, I really need a laptop right now. Yet I know Haswell is coming, and I know it'll be a nice improvement in some areas.

I really need to weigh up my options, along with the issues people are having with IR on the rMBP screen.
Half of me wants to just get the thing and other other half, which usually has more sense knows I should wait. Sadly work and studies won't allow that wait.

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
We're looking at roughly 4-six months before Haswell is estimated to arrive.

Then you also have to take into account Apple, how often do we get new products on the exact time a new CPU arch is released?

Here's a link to the Intel roadmadp.

The power consumption on Haswell is actually UP on the mobile line due to the iGPU and as usual nothing is conclusive until parts are actually released and benchmarked.

Personally I'm in a real predicament, I really need a laptop right now. Yet I know Haswell is coming, and I know it'll be a nice improvement in some areas.

I really need to weigh up my options, along with the issues people are having with IR on the rMBP screen.
Half of me wants to just get the thing and other other half, which usually has more sense knows I should wait. Sadly work and studies won't allow that wait.

Going by the way the Intel business development people talked, we would probably see the new Airs in May-June time frame as Intel is expected to launch Haswell in March-April.

On the other hand, contacts in intels testing centres in India, (where they test the haswell chips with successive firmware on mobos), say there are way too many issues compared to the state of ivybridge last december.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.