Buy 2 phones outright in same #?

goobot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
So last night the Apple app ended up reserving me a phone because the servers were messed up but I still managed to grab one on att and bought it outright. Now Apple is telling me I can now place my order for the phone they reserved for me but I’m wondering if I could also buy it out right as well under the same number?

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
No, you can go ahead and try, it will tell you you can not buy 2 on same number. Doesnt hurt to click the continue buttons

eyoung71

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
So last night the Apple app ended up reserving me a phone because the servers were messed up but I still managed to grab one on att and bought it outright. Now Apple is telling me I can now place my order for the phone they reserved for me but I’m wondering if I could also buy it out right as well under the same number?
I bought 2 outright on the Apple app on the same number. One finally went through about 25 min after launch and I was also able to order the reserved one.

goobot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
So I tried and both seem to have gone through. Interestingly enough att charged me 1.08 more than apple.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
This would make me nervous that one or both orders get screwed up somehow.

Anyone who tried this have a negative experience?

Reactions: Chupa Chupa

Payton34

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Chicago, IL
This actually happened to me this early morning. I first bought one and paid in f I’ll on one of our lines. I then bought a second one under a different line but received some error in processing. I quickly went back in the App. and tried to order the phone once again under the second line. This time is was successful but when I checked my e,will minutes later, I noticed I had 3 phones ordered with 2 being under the same line.

I received an email a few hours later from AT&T Next discussing the terms of the agreement and it of course referenced one of the Apple order numbers. At this point I canceled the order that I didn’t receive an email from AT&T Next. I didn’t want to risk having both of those phones cancelled so now I have two phones on order; one arrives 11/3 and the other arrives 11/17 - 11/24.

My thought is that Apple or any carrier will not allow 2 phones to be tied to 1 line. They may just cancel 1 and not the other or they could potentially cancel both. In my opinion not worth the risk. My suggestion is that if you’re really concerned, contact Apple or your carrier and see what they say. Best of luck and enjoy the phone.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I'm on the phone with them now. most likely they canceled your orders and you don't know about it.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
I will be livid. There is no reason why, if I want 3 different phones on the same line to switch the sim in and out of and take whichever one I want that day, that I wouldn't be able to do that.
[doublepost=1509218044][/doublepost]
I'm on the phone with them now. most likely they canceled your orders and you don't know about it.
Just got off with them and all three of my orders on the same line are right where they should be, none cancelled.

Last edited:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I will be livid. There is no reason why, if I want 3 different phones on the same line to switch the sim in and out of and take whichever one I want that day, that I wouldn't be able to do that.
[doublepost=1509218044][/doublepost]
Just got off with them and all three of my orders on the same line are right where they should be, none cancelled.
Oh I am. I don't even have an issue with the one line single device restriction. But they do not pre inform you, do not design the website to prevent this issue (food delivery apps have this), and they did not inform me the order was canceled. Which is insane.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I am. I don't even have an issue with the one line single device restriction. But they do not pre inform you, do not design the website to prevent this issue (food delivery apps have this), and they did not inform me the order was canceled. Which is insane.
What does your status show online. They just said all of mine are fine.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
What does your status show online. They just said all of mine are fine.
Status online says all good, but I'm talking directly to a rep who says they are showing canceled on their end despite what is written on the site

When you do that, get multiple phones with the same number, the system auto cancels them

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
Status online says all good, but I'm talking directly to a rep who says they are showing canceled on their end despite what is written on the site

When you do that, get multiple phones with the same number, the system auto cancels them
And yours were all paid in full?

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The only way for you to order 2 iPhone X on the same phone number is to do it through 2 different sources. One from Apple and one from your Carrier. You have to pay full price, no financing will work.

Dave

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
The only way for you to order 2 iPhone X on the same phone number is to do it through 2 different sources. One from Apple and one from your Carrier. You have to pay full price, no financing will work.

Dave
I just got off the phone with a rep who confirmed with a sales manager all 3 of my phones are still en route. Two I ordered on the same line for 11/3 delivery and a third my Verizon employee Friend ordered with 12/1 delivery.

walt7788

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Anyone else have any experience with this?
I woke up an hour late for the preorder, and placed an order to purchase a VZ iPhone x in full via Apple app. Got some date in later November for delivery. Not happy about not getting delivery on the 3rd. Got both order processing email and large CC purchase alert, which is normal.

Then I noticed a store in my surrounding area had 64GB versions available for pick up. I proceeded to place an order for a 64GB phone at a store on Long Island. I used the same number, purchase in full, to pick up the phone on Nov 3 in store. Got the same 2 confirmation emails again. Used the same postpaid VZ number as for the first order.

Then I noticed Manhattan Apple stores still had stock for pickup. So I go to place another order for a 64GB phone. There are app connection issues, and it doesn’t seem to go through at first. Then finally it does, and I have a 3rd successful reservation, with confirmation emails and a third pending charge on my CC. I used Apple Pay for all 3.

Finally, I check all my emails, and see a 4th set. Somehow, one of my “failed” attempts to pickup/order the phone at a Manhattan store went though, and now I have 1 phone to be delievered, and 3 phones to pickup, 4 pending charges on my CC, all ordered under the same postpaid Verizon phone number.

Can you tell I was frantic and still half asleep?

A couple hours later, I realized Apple might just cancel all my orders when they see the same email/CC for all of these. I tried to cancel all but 1 of the orders myself, and eventually did hours later when the system let me.

Im not sure why the app / apple didn’t limit me to 1 phone per line. Pre order craziness I guess. Again, this was all done via the Apple iPhone app.

Next time, I am not going to sleep before 3 am! I just totally slept through my alarm, which is weird bc I am a really light sleeper.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No, you can go ahead and try, it will tell you you can not buy 2 on same number. Doesnt hurt to click the continue buttons
I was wondering about that, given that you not only have to give your last 4 digits of the ssn, but also your phone number it makes sense that they'd throw an error at you

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
It sucks that you guys have to order a phone attached to a certain line or account :-/

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Anyone else have any experience with this?
So I actually just received notice one of my orders has shipped. A silver one. I also received another text that my order was cancelled. I don't know what that means honestly. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information.

Did you get any updates?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
So I tried and both seem to have gone through. Interestingly enough att charged me 1.08 more than apple.
Yup, I noticed that AT&T and Verizon and maybe others charge $.99 more than Apple. $999.99 versus $999. Take a dollar and multiply it by a million orders and you have some real money. :)

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
So I actually just received notice one of my orders has shipped. A silver one. I also received another text that my order was cancelled. I don't know what that means honestly. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information.

Did you get any updates?
All 3 of mine still pending. No cancellation emails. None have shipped. Only one charge to my credit card. I am not optimistic.