Buy 2011 MBP or wait for 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whsbuss, Jun 9, 2011.

1. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Looking to ditch my Win7 laptop for a MBP. Played with the 13.3" at Apple and like the 4GB, 500GB with i7 duo-core. Reading the forum about the new 2012 MBP's coming out, should I wait or go for the current MBP. BestBuy has it for $50 off Apple retail.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

buy now

get the i5, the i7 13" is a waste of money.

3. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Okay. Unfortunately BB only has the 500GB model with the i7

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

good thing best buy isn't the only place that sells macs ;)

where are you located? do you have an apple store around? You can also buy it online from an authorized reseller and save some money.

5. stefmesman macrumors 6502

buy now if you need it, waiting is useless. or atleast i would not wait. most of the times a redisign brings alot of problems with it and you might spend longer waiting for your mbp. you can always sell it if i think its worth it.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

You get the 500GB HDD upgrade, and if you need a lot of memory, it might be worth it for the 50 dollars off.

But, if you are a student you can get a student discount at the Apple store. You can also take advantage of their back to school deal (free ipod) later in the summer. and, frankly, most of us probably wouldn't notice the difference in performance between the base model 13" and the i7.

If it were me I would take that same money you would have spent and either a) upgrade the base model to an SSD drive and/or b) upgrade the base model to 8GB RAM (i did this).

Waiting? I am not a big fan of it.

7. AFPoster macrumors 65816

If you need one now get it now, if you can wait, wait.

8. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I'd love to get the SDD but its very expensive.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. You are kidding, right? If you get the 128GB, you are still going to spend more money on the i7 :)

That's why I suggested you get the base MBP with these upgrades. The cost will be about the same as what you will spend at BB, but you'll definitely notice the difference in performance. Try a Macbook Air and see what I mean. Or, watch some videos online. The SSD is incredible. With the two processors, I don't know if you could even tell the difference in everyday tasks.

10. Arsenal09 macrumors member

I have the same problem. But i think i will buy a 15inch this summer, they are powerful and the current design is already gorgeous, or that's what i think of it :D Just buy one now, and enjoy it!

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

palpatine is correct... you can get a base mbp, upgrade to ssd, potentially add an optibay if you want storage space for media, and get 8gb of ram and probably still come in under retail on the 13" i7

The computer will be much faster and you will be more satisfied. You are never going to notice a difference in day to day tasks with the i7, but an ssd and ram will definitely be beneficial in everyday use.

12. AFPoster macrumors 65816

thus getting a HDD and upgrading to SSD when they offer more storage and a eco friendly price.

13. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Great suggestions. I'm going to try the MBA and see the difference.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Unless you're waiting for something specific... why delay?

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Ivy Bridge will all be atleast quad cores I believe, so the 2012 13" MBP should be much faster than the 2011 MBP.

17. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Any concerns buying refurb from Apple?

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

My machine was refurb. Comes with 1yr warranty and applecare is applicable under purchase.

19. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

If your current laptop is functioning properly and you can stand waiting 8 months, then wait. Maybe get an iPad to tide you over. Otherwise go for it now, so you get more time to own the current thing without it being obsolete. :)

20. djosiris macrumors newbie

You can always play the waiting game with electronics. To me it depends on specifically what you are going to do with the laptop and what you are waiting for.

21. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Only quad cores will be available when Ivy Bridge releases, but dual core processors will be available later on, at least desktop versions, I don't think there are plans for dual core mobile processors at this time.

Either way, the 2013 mbp will be much faster than the 2012, and the 2014 will be faster than the 2013, and so on and so on....

The point is you are always going to be waiting for "the best" or "next fastest" The current SNB processors are probably overkill for 90% of customers anyways. There is no sense in waiting for a "faster" computer when you won't even use all of the power available in the one you can buy today. :D

22. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Already have the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. My Win7 (Sony) is only 1 year old but I was planning to replace my old HP (WinXP) sitting in my home office. That one is always AC-connected with 19" monitor and wireless mouse. Limited use but have so many Win-only programs I can't just cut the Microsoft cord completely. Had/used Mac's for many years and love them.

23. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

That's why there's the beauty of Bootcamp or Fusion/Parallel; you can have your mac and your favorite windows programs....

24. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Yeah, I recently used bootcamp so I have Win7 as well as OS X on my 13"mbp. I was hesitant at first that the Windows might look wonky or not fully functional on here, but it looks and works beautifully, looks better than I've seen on PC hardware. So using Windows on your Mac is always an option.

25. Heavertron macrumors regular

The base MPB has plenty of power unless you need to do real heavy work. The i5 really has ample power for most general computing. The HDD is much more of a constraint on performance than CPU.

Sure, it's nice to get faster this, and bigger that. But that's the geek in most of us, rather than necessity for more power.

Be happy that the MBP 13" has Sandybridge CPUs because they really are awesomely powerful for their TDP.