Buy 2018/2019 MacBook Pro or wait for refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcd213, Jun 24, 2019.

?

What would you do?

  1. Buy a 2018/2019 MBP now and sell the MBA

    28.6%
  2. Keep the MBA and wait for a redesigned MBP

    71.4%
  1. pcd213 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #1
    Hi, all. First time poster here but a longtime reader. I’m posting to ask for buying advise.

    I own a 2018 MacBook Air which I enjoy but I’m longing for more power and perhaps a bit more brightness from the screen. Previous to MacBook Air, I had owned the 2017 MacBook Air which was perfect for my needs but I had many keyboard issues that forced me to sell it.

    Here’s where I’m looking for some advice. I’m contemplating either purchasing a 2018/2019 MacBook Pro now or keeping the MacBook Air until we see a revision from the 13” MacBook Pro (a refreshed keyboard and perhaps a new case design). Would you buy a 2018/2019 MacBook Pro now or wait?
     
  2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #2
    Do you have any use case where you need a new computer? If not I'd just wait until you actually need a new one.
     
  3. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #3
    I’m not losing business by using the MBA or anything like that. It’s more a convenience benefit. I see plenty of slowdowns and freezing with streaming video in Safari on the MBA that it's made me contemplate a mid-cycle upgrade.
     
  4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #4
    Are you certain that isn't an ISP issue or a network issue? Albeit the current Macbooks and Macbook Airs are underpowered. They should handle video streaming without issue.
     
  5. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #5
    Yeah, I’ve tried it in a few different locations under different network/bandwidth scenarios. I see a lot of slowdown with many Safari windows open, and with multiple YouTube tabs open. I do see a lot of freezing, way more than I think I’ve ever seen on a Mac before (or at least as long as I can remember). I suspect I’m pushing the processor and/or RAM harder than it’s meant for. Honestly, I loved the 2017 MBP. It was everything I wanted in a laptop but without the reliability of the keyboard. If I could get a 2018/2019 keyboard in that model, I would be very happy.
     
  6. smirking macrumors 68020

    smirking

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #6
    This is a very simple decision. If you're even asking this question, you probably don't need a new computer right now. Wait. The next version is always going to be more computer for about the same amount of money.

    If I'm wrong, don't wait.

    Ok, so you probably just want a new computer soon, but want to save as much money as possible. Get familiar with the prices in the Apple Refurbished store and then look out for deals offered by the likes of Best Buy and B&H Photo on 2017 and 2018 models. They've been pumping out some really insane deals lately that were significantly undercutting the Refurb Store's price on new units. The deals were so good that it even had me thinking about upgrading my wife's computer even though she doesn't need a new one.
     
  7. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #7
    I have a friend who works at Apple and can get me a refurbished 2018 MBP for $1375. If I can sell my MBA for $900, that’s a $475 expense. What would you do? I don’t mind paying it but I also don’t want FOMO when a new redesigned 13” comes out (in 2020/2021?).
     
  8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #8
    Open Activity Monitor. Do your normal activity. If you are crushing your CPU or your Memory Pressure is in the Yellow. You need a new computer to keep up with your tasks.

    I don't think there's anything in Intel's leaked roadmap for 2019/2020 to warrant waiting for a new u series CPU used in the 13" models.

    While a new keyboard would be great. Given that they are still trying to fix it. I wouldn't expect a fresh design anytime soon. I won't bother expunging on my feelings about their keyboard and need for thinness. That is another topic.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2019 ---
    If you list the specs of each. One could devise an opinion.
     
  9. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #9
    Yeah, that’s a good idea. Frankly, I need to educate myself a bit in how to read the activity monitor but I’ve definitely opened it before.

    Regarding the keyboards, I couldn’t agree more with you there. I actually like the 2018/2019 design, so I would still be happy with that, but I would never turn down more key travel. I agree that it’s not something I’m holding my breath for.
     
  10. smirking, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

    smirking macrumors 68020

    smirking

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #10
    Laptops are getting interesting again. For a decade everyone basically pumped out the same machine with each new version being basically the same model as last year with slightly better specs. The wisdom of waiting if you can, but buy if you need it has never been more true. Stuff is changing and on the move again.

    But for the love of life, don't base your decisions on FOMO. Buy because you see a deal you can't pass up or buy because you need the machine. Life's too short to worry about if you have the shiniest most glittering object possible. That next iteration might be something you'd never want to touch.
     
  11. twanj macrumors 6502

    twanj

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    Location:
    Pompano Beach, FL
    #11
    I'd wait til late September. It's only 90 days.
     
  12. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

    BigBoy2018

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2018
    #12
    Not to rain on your parade, but I can't see any way in hell that someone would pay $900 for a used MBA from a private seller.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2019 ---
    Agreed. Sounds more likely the new 16" remodeled MBP with (hopefully!) a redesigned, reliable keyboard may actually see the light of day.
     
  13. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #13
    Used models have been selling for about low to mid $800’s on Swappa, but my laptop has AppleCare so I think I should be able to sell it for $900
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2019 ---
    Actually, I hadn’t thought about that. You’re right...at the very least, wait to see what these new models look like. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to afford whatever new 16” model Apple comes out with (I struggle with paying above $2k for what I need), but at least I should wait to see what other models are available.

    Did anyone see a rumor that the MacBook Pro Esc was getting a spec bump? I thought I did but I cannot recall. If that model was given a 2018 or 2019 keyboard, I’d jump in a heartbeat.
     
  14. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #14
    Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I ended up purchasing the 2018 MacBook Pro for a steal of a price at $1,250. I'm very, very happy. So far, I'm not seeing any of the slowdowns I saw on the 2018 MacBook Air. And it's great to have this bright of a screen compared to the slightly brighter, slightly less color accurate MBA screen. I'm a happy camper! I still have to get used to the Touch Bar. It shocks me that you can't change the brightness on it. It's far too dim to actually see.
     
  15. mragarg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2013
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #15
    I know you already purchased but I do wanted to say something for future readers and to hear people's opinions. Since the rumored one will be the first of its kind, won't it be prone to have a lot of initial bugs/issues?
     
  16. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #16
    I’m glad you mention that as it was a thought in the decision I made. I originally purchased a 2016 MBP right when it came out as I needed a laptop after giving my 2014 to my girlfriend for school. I had so many issues with that 2016 MBP - battery, keyboard, etc. It was a mess, and as we all know here, it took them a few years to fix only some, not all, of the issues. With that experience, I decided I’m done with buying first generation Apple products. I think they’re better products two years after release. As another example beyond the MacBook Pros, my AirPods are a joy, but from day one they’ve taken a very long time to connect to my iPhone, and the battery life is fleeting fast. I’m happy I purchased them but they’re not a product without flaws. They are very, very slow to connect, and even slower when transferring from one device to another. So, all of that said, I’m sure the 16” all screen MBP will look amazing, and maybe it will be, but I’ll hold out a few years to watch this all play out. I’m done paying toward Apple’s R&D and fix it fund. For the prices we’re paying, these things should be flawless or as close to flawless as possible. Outside of the iPhone, I don’t think Apple delivers on that expectation in its product lines.
     
  17. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

    BigBoy2018

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2018
    #17
    If I were you, I would have waited at least another couple months for the rumored 16-inch mbp to possibly come out.
    I know with the extended keyboard warranty you’re more or less covered with the current butterfly design issues, but its a pain, and what if you’re on a week long trip somehwere and thats when the keyboard flips out.
    All in all I just could never live with any apple butterfly keyboard laptop, thinking all the time its a ticking time bomb waiting to fail.

    The rumored 16-inch would obviously be a good bit more expensive than the one you bought, but I would have waited non-the-less just to see what they come up with.
     
  18. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #18
    Yeah, I did do some thinking on that. I basically came to the notion that the 16" will be out of my price range. And when I found a mint 2018 MBP for $1150, $1250 with tax, I just jumped on it. I suspect the 16" will start at $2k plus, and it will be too much for what I need. I'm sure the 16" design will spill into the 13/14" model eventually, but I didn't want to wait to find out and find out when.
     
  19. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

    BigBoy2018

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2018
    #19
    Yep, you should be ok with the 2018 model.
    Its more my own ‘personal problem’ that I have huge disdain for this current generation of apple laptops. I’ve kinda taken an ‘over my dead body’ approach to ever owning one :confused:
    So say if if even got one for free, I’d take it of course, but sell it the very next day for cash lol
     
  20. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #20
    Yeah, this generation really is something, isn’t it? I’ve grown to deal with certain things as my needs aren’t as strong as others, but they really screwed the pooch. Non-related, I am looking forward to when we have iPhone X like full screens on our laptops. It will be exciting to see if they correct course with the upcoming 16”.
     
  21. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

    BigBoy2018

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2018
    #21
    Full screen on our laptops? Not sure what you mean.
    I hope you dont mean full on screen keyboards.
    That would be an absolutely horrible typing experience imo.
     
  22. pcd213 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2019
    #22
    Hah, DEF not on the keyboard. I need hardware there. I meant an all screen no bezel (or small bezel) laptop screen. I really hope we don’t lose a physical keyboard beyond the touch bar. I’ll hoard mechanical keyboards in that apocalypse.
     
  23. ux4all macrumors regular

    ux4all

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #23
    I was in the same position you are. I can hold out for a few months but more than that, it will impact my workflow and my ability to deliver. Before I bought, the 16" report came out and I hesitated... then I remembered v1 of EVERY OTHER MAC product and bought the 2019 i9....

    Can I wait? sure...
    Can I afford what the 16" will cost? assuming the specs... I won't have an extra 1k assuming OLED/upgraded display, upgraded GPU, 9900HK chip....and at least 32 GB of RAM (remember, it's soldered so you only get 1 shot unless Apple makes it magically user upgradeable lol). I carry a X5 so onboard HD space isn't a big driver
    Can I afford the repairs if/when things go sideways? No

    If you want to always have the latest and greatest, you'll be buying a new machine year over year... buy the one that meets the needs you have now... purchase Apple Care.... when AC runs out, sell the machine and buy a new one... it's the same reason I buy the S models of the iPhone...
     
  24. currahee2100 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    #24
    If you buy the pro, who knows, maybe you'll regret not having the same battery life as the MBA. Keep it, it's still perfectly good. The next time you go to purchase things though follow this rule: if you think you might need something then you'll need it. That's why I returned my MBP 128GB for a 256GB, but ended up with a 512 when BBY had their sale.
     
  25. emraha06 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2017
    #25
    redesigned mbp will come with its own problems and i hope these problems will be huge in first model. as a proof, i can tell about my 2019, i9 mbp... this serie is being produced since 2016, there are thousands of complaint about screen flickering issue but still my 2019 macbook pro has screen flickering... 3 years passed but apple did not solve this problem. now think about new designed mbp and its own problems. how many years have to pass for apple to listen customers and fix a problem?????? what is the function of apple support? what is the purpose of WWDCs? i have heard many times from Tim Cook or other managers in WWDCs that people can talk and report problems to thousands of apple workers directly in the period of WWDC but as i said before a problem called screen flickering still continues after 3 years of report and thousands of complaints
     

Share This Page

32 June 24, 2019