Buy 3gs or wait for 4g?

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
ok well currently im with verizon and my contract ends may 28th. i really want the iphone because im not crazy about my lg touch screen compared to my itouch. anyways, should i just go ahead and switch to at&t and get the 3gs? my thought is that it would probably be smart to get the 3gs and wait until the 4gs or the second 4g comes out so they work out all of the nit pics. plus the pics i saw look like the top of the 4g is thicker than the bottom, anyone else notice this?

i dont need the video chat, and 16gb will be fine because i have a 64gb itouch for my music.

lmk what you guys think. and how is at&t compared to verizon? also how much per month are your guys' plans?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
ok well currently im with verizon and my contract ends may 28th. i really want the iphone because im not crazy about my lg touch screen compared to my itouch. anyways, should i just go ahead and switch to at&t and get the 3gs? my thought is that it would probably be smart to get the 3gs and wait until the 4gs or the second 4g comes out so they work out all of the nit pics. plus the pics i saw look like the top of the 4g is thicker than the bottom, anyone else notice this?

i dont need the video chat, and 16gb will be fine because i have a 64gb itouch for my music.

lmk what you guys think. and how is at&t compared to verizon? also how much per month are your guys' plans?
There are rumors that the iPhone 4G is coming to verizon (CDMA version). There are currently no pics of the phone out. Whatever you saw was just a rendering based on someone's idea of what it MIGHT look like.

I would suggest that if you can hold off for 2 1/2 more months, it would be better.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Forget rumors on Verizon, a new iPhone will likely be announced in June. It's how their update cycle seems to be going.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
well my dare is all messed up and the screen changes color (pink, red, blue, and green). im anxious to get a new phone and verizon isnt a must for me.

how much are your guys at&t plans? and do you think the new iphone would be out in early june?

also another factor for me is price. i have a feeling i could get the 3gs for pretty cheap in late may/early june. how much would the new iphone be with the contract about?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
also another factor for me is price. i have a feeling i could get the 3gs for pretty cheap in late may/early june. how much would the new iphone be with the contract about?
I doubt if the prices will fall by that much. Apple might just do what they did with the 3G once 3GS was released: reduce the with-contract price down to $99 for the 3GS and continue selling the 4G for $199. But no one can say for sure right now.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
well my dare is all messed up and the screen changes color (pink, red, blue, and green). im anxious to get a new phone and verizon isnt a must for me.

how much are your guys at&t plans? and do you think the new iphone would be out in early june?

You can get a refurbished 3gs at best buys for 150 with a new contract.

Marc

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
i think i want to buy new but thank you. and idk hopefully the 3gs will be significantly cheaper soon or the new iphone will come out early june.

what about your guys plans? price? features? minutes?

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
I would wait. I love my 3GS but in 2 days Apple will be announcing new features in OS4.0, and who knows, maybe a new iPhone.

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
Wait. Seriously. There's no advantage to buying now. If you wait, no matter what you get it will be cheaper or newer.

As for the iPhone plan prices, I seriously hate this question. Why? Because everyone's cost is different depending on local taxes or any employee discounts that they qualify for. If you really want to know your cost, either call AT&T or go to the website and figure it up. Your taxes will vary in relation to the cost of your new plan compared with your old plan. Honestly, if you really have to worry about the costs much, you probably can't afford one anyway.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
yeah i know but like i said my current phone is beat and its going to be really hard for me to keep it when my contract is up and when my birthday is on june 2. but ill see, hopefully it will come out in june.

and im just looking for a ballpark on what u guys are paying...

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
If you want to know an estimate of your bill, call AT&T. Seriously, there is no "ballpark". It depends on the options you pick.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
If you want to know an estimate of your bill, call AT&T. Seriously, there is no "ballpark". It depends on the options you pick.
if you read above i said post how much u pay about. minutes, messaging, and options...

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
if you read above i said post how much u pay about. minutes, messaging, and options...
I'll throw a number out for you. For me, before discount and with unlimited text messaging, my bill would be roughly 105 bucks a month with taxes. But I get a 50% discount. And don't bother asking how, you can't get it unless AT&T also signs your paychecks.