Buy 3gs or wait for 4g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyons238, Apr 6, 2010.

1. lyons238 macrumors 6502

ok well currently im with verizon and my contract ends may 28th. i really want the iphone because im not crazy about my lg touch screen compared to my itouch. anyways, should i just go ahead and switch to at&t and get the 3gs? my thought is that it would probably be smart to get the 3gs and wait until the 4gs or the second 4g comes out so they work out all of the nit pics. plus the pics i saw look like the top of the 4g is thicker than the bottom, anyone else notice this?

i dont need the video chat, and 16gb will be fine because i have a 64gb itouch for my music.

lmk what you guys think. and how is at&t compared to verizon? also how much per month are your guys' plans?

2. mreddys10 macrumors regular

There are rumors that the iPhone 4G is coming to verizon (CDMA version). There are currently no pics of the phone out. Whatever you saw was just a rendering based on someone's idea of what it MIGHT look like.

I would suggest that if you can hold off for 2 1/2 more months, it would be better.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Forget rumors on Verizon, a new iPhone will likely be announced in June. It's how their update cycle seems to be going.

4. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

well my dare is all messed up and the screen changes color (pink, red, blue, and green). im anxious to get a new phone and verizon isnt a must for me.

how much are your guys at&t plans? and do you think the new iphone would be out in early june?

also another factor for me is price. i have a feeling i could get the 3gs for pretty cheap in late may/early june. how much would the new iphone be with the contract about?

5. mreddys10 macrumors regular

I doubt if the prices will fall by that much. Apple might just do what they did with the 3G once 3GS was released: reduce the with-contract price down to $99 for the 3GS and continue selling the 4G for $199. But no one can say for sure right now.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can get a refurbished 3gs at best buys for 150 with a new contract.

Marc

7. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

i think i want to buy new but thank you. and idk hopefully the 3gs will be significantly cheaper soon or the new iphone will come out early june.

what about your guys plans? price? features? minutes?

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I would wait. I love my 3GS but in 2 days Apple will be announcing new features in OS4.0, and who knows, maybe a new iPhone.

9. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

where will they be announcing it?

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

*grabs quarter preparing to flip...

I'd say wait.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

At 1 infinite loop :)

12. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA 95014
    Apples Headquarters
    But you should be able to download the video shortly after at apple.com also.

14. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting since January....so you can wait too :)

15. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Wait. Seriously. There's no advantage to buying now. If you wait, no matter what you get it will be cheaper or newer.

As for the iPhone plan prices, I seriously hate this question. Why? Because everyone's cost is different depending on local taxes or any employee discounts that they qualify for. If you really want to know your cost, either call AT&T or go to the website and figure it up. Your taxes will vary in relation to the cost of your new plan compared with your old plan. Honestly, if you really have to worry about the costs much, you probably can't afford one anyway.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would wait. Its too close to the 4G's release and its possible they'll then move to $99 3GS phones instead of $99 3G phones.

17. Jenkins12 macrumors member

Wait, you've waited this long, no harm is waiting a little longer.

18. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i know but like i said my current phone is beat and its going to be really hard for me to keep it when my contract is up and when my birthday is on june 2. but ill see, hopefully it will come out in june.

and im just looking for a ballpark on what u guys are paying...

19. ckhris macrumors member

20. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

21. hushmartin macrumors 6502

If you want to know an estimate of your bill, call AT&T. Seriously, there is no "ballpark". It depends on the options you pick.

22. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

if you read above i said post how much u pay about. minutes, messaging, and options...

23. calvy macrumors 65816

I'll throw a number out for you. For me, before discount and with unlimited text messaging, my bill would be roughly 105 bucks a month with taxes. But I get a 50% discount. And don't bother asking how, you can't get it unless AT&T also signs your paychecks.

24. jav6545 macrumors newbie