Buy 4S Now or wait for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Huntn, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Huntn, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess is that this is addressed somewhere here, but what is the normal iphone upgrade cycle? Not counting this 4S, I want to say they usually come out in the summer?

My current contract with Sprint runs out in Feb12. If I thought a new iPhone 5 would come out in the Summer, I'd be willing to wait for it.

Regarding the new iPhones, I see Sprint is offering them for $649, $749, & $849 with a $150 discount if you have an expired contract. Reducing the effective price to $500, $600, & $700. Has this been the going rate for the latest version of iPhones on other carriers? A quick glance seems to indicate that Verizon is offering the new 4S for $199, $299, and $399. I suppose this is because of new competition from Sprint, with the unlimited data or something else?

I seem to remember the first iPhone cost about $500? For some reason I thought they had dropped in price since then. Apparently not... With a contract and 2 year contracts, you'd think the price on such a phone could be lower, but I also realize the concept of supply and demand...

Any input appreciated! :):(

2. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt we'll see a new iPhone prior to Fall 2012. Buy it now.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

All the previous iPhone cycle have been pretty much 12 months. Because of the 'delayed' iPhone 4S release the cycle of the iPhone 4 has been 16 months. If you're planning to buy an iPhone 4S, now is the time to buy. You'll enjoy it for a full year.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ +1 Yup, iPhone 5 probably won't be seen until late fall....:eek:

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

buy now, unless you really want to wait for a year.

The thing about iPhones are that if you sell at the right time you can just about double what you paid so no real reason to wait.

7. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Also, there will likely never be an iPhone 5. The next iPhone will be the iPhone 6.

When Steve announced the iPhone 4 with the name he followed it up with an explanation by saying "the fourth generation iPhone".

Therefore:
    iPhone = 1
    iPhone 3G = 2
    iPhone 3GS = 3
    iPhone 4 = 4
    iPhone 4S = 5
    iPhone 6 = 6

"Introducing iPhone 6, the sixth generation iPhone"

8. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Wow. It NEVER surprises me when someone asks this question.......But its usually 9 months AFTER the phone is released.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the well meaning replies. :p to the rest of you. I thought it was a reasonable question for someone who is not iphone knowledgeable. I'll be waiting until Feb in any case. :)

10. Sarngate macrumors regular

I'm getting the 4S, and i plan to sell it to get the iPhone 5 prior to the next launch. The reason being that i'm a tech obsessive anyway, and don't mind paying another £100 to get the latest and greatest phone once a year.

As long as you know how to look after your devices then buying and selling once a year can work great, if you get the timing right. For instance selling your phone after the next in line has been announced usually results in a drop in resale value for the last generation, so it's a bit of a risk sometimes.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

normal world

normally, we would have thought to see the iphone 6 in june/july 2012, what with this new Fall release schedule. I'm not so sure of that.

second, I actually think that we MIGHT get a new ipod TOUCH in the form factor of the things we have seen, the tear drop shape, larger screen, etc., and NOT a new iphone in that shape YET.

I really don't think there will be an iphone 6 in June 2012, MAYBE October 2012, but then that would be a normal 12 month release schedule.

I DO think that THIS is the THE PHONE that was to be released now and not something else. It makes sense, do TWO revisions on the same platform, add features to the same platform (this has been auto and other industry practice for years) and THEN do a model revision.

12. Zincous macrumors 6502

I don't think it'll be June/July either. But I also don't think it'll be another 16 months.

They wouldn't wait until after Christmas. So it has to be by Oct/November 2012.

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

14. LoganT macrumors 68020

Remind me again why they would call the sixth generation iPhone the iPhone 5?

15. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

No you would be nuts to buy the 4s.
    Wait for the iPhone X.