Buy a Macbook pro now or wait for new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Curialover, Aug 15, 2013.

  1. Curialover macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2013
    #1
    Should i wait up as intel 4th processor are out probably new Macbook pro will come with the 4th gen processors also Apple event is just near in sep ?
    what do u suggest guys ?
     
  2. Curialover thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2013
    #3
  3. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #4
    No one knows except for Tim Cook and other senior people at Apple and I suspect that they would not post the answer here.
     
  4. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

    Vanilla35

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #5
    WWDC already happened, in June. They would release it either September 10th or mid October. Most likely October

    And I do suggest waiting - if not for the refresh, to get a good discount for buying a refurbished of the "current" model right now.
     
  5. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #6
    Welcome to Macrumors. The "Waiting for Haswell" thread has one of the highest view counts around here.

    Let me summarize the almost 5,000 post thread:

    Wait for the Haswell if you want to wait for:

    • Mavericks (and eliminating that browser lag thing that people don't like)
    • PCIe SSD
    • 802.11ac
    • Possibly better batter life
    • Better OpenCL performance in [insert app here]

    Get a rMBP NOW if:

    • You're certain that the Haswell rMBP will crush your OpenGL dreams since the Iris Pro 5200 will be brought to its knees with your [insert 3D rendering intensive app/game here]
    • You refuse to accept that an iGPU could ever in a million years fill that place in your heart reserved especially for a dGPU.. any dGPU.. as long as that GPU is freaking discrete
     
  6. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada | Sibiu, Romania
    #7
    Do you want to risk regretting your decision for the whole life of the laptop, or waiting a fraction of the laptop's life?
     
  7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #8
    Cynical much? :D
     
  8. zipur macrumors 6502a

    zipur

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    Location:
    The great state of Texas
    #9
    If that is the case your should wait till next March, because they may come out with a revised version of the 2013 release. Come on, you can go nuts over this stuff. If you want to wait, wait.
     
  9. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern California
    #10
    I'm also thinking the refresh will happen in October.
     
  10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

    Vanilla35

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #11
    Definitely got an Lol out of me
     
  11. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #12
    I really really hope so. I think someone around here said that in the past there's been iOS keynotes followed by hardware keynotes

    ::crossing fingers::
     
  12. mcarling, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

    mcarling macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #13
    The 13" Haswell rMBP will definitely outperform the 13" Ivy Bridge rMBP in every way. The 15" Haswell rMBP will outperform the 15" Ivy Bridge rMBP in most but perhaps not all applications. For all of the above, 98% or 99% of users probably will not notice the difference.

    Reasonable reasons to wait:
    - The Wifi performance of 802.11ac is important to you
    - Battery life is important to you
    - You want 16GB in a 13" rMBP (not clear this will become available in 2013)
    - You want a 1TB SSD (not clear this will become available in 2013)
    - You want a 17" rMBP (not at all clear this will become available ever)
     
  13. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

    R.Stoychev

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    #14
    It really depends on your needs, but for me you should wait for the refresh :)
     
  14. ViennaXP macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    #15
    I think the iGPU can't replace any kind of dGPU now. I need OpenGL for many reason and there not so many 3D and Compositing applications ,which support an Intel GPU.
    I accept that an iGPU can replace a dGPU, but first the programmers have to support the iGPU and it the GPU needs more power!
     
  15. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #16
    Well then. Do not wait. Purchase a rMBP. Now.
     
  16. ViennaXP macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    #17
    I got mine 2 days ago
     
  17. psik macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #18
    Damn it, this whole iGPU is going to make me wait another year I think..with the hope of broadwell and at least a better iGPU ? being released next-next october ); I guess we'll see exactly whats happening @ the refresh
     
  18. Aylan macrumors regular

    Aylan

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    If you are considering the 15", you should get one now at a discount if you can't wait.

    If you are considering a 13" then definitely wait. The transition from HD4000 to HD5100 graphics is worth it alone. Plus, you will get PCIe SSD, 802.11ac, and possibly a 256GB SSD in the base model since 128GB is in the MBAs now.
     
  19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

    Vanilla35

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #20
    Same here man
     
  20. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #21
    Excellent move.

    I'm waiting for Haswell. The iris pro is gonna be amazing for my apps.
     
  21. 1stKnight macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    #22
    Got mine two day's ago and it is an excellent machine.

    But then I'm upgrading to the March 2014 model next year and this one is being handed over to my business partner so can't lose really.
     
  22. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

    cheesyappleuser

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    Location:
    Portugal
    #23
    I'd just wait for the new version for the reasons already mentioned, plus it may be (even) thinner.

    TBH something that sort of worries me is the lack of a discrete GPU. Not that I play games or anything... Hope Apple does it right (as usual).
     
  23. dylin macrumors 6502a

    dylin

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #24
    I would say to just wait. Better all efficient system, better battery performance. But like most people say, if you need buy now, if not just wait. :)
     
  24. KingKen1986, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

    KingKen1986 macrumors regular

    KingKen1986

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    #25
    If you need it now....get it now....I needed one and opted to get it now and got the cMBP instead of the rMBP because I needed the superdrive. Plus I got the 13 inch 2.9GHz i7 on sale at BestBuy for $1299, a steal. Again I needed the optical drive though, if you don't need that than I would recommend waiting. But whatever you do your going to get an awesome machine. Remember this is Apple we are talking about here, no matter what you get, when you get it, their machines are works of art. :apple::D:apple:
     

Share This Page