Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I was going to wait to buy the AirPod Max - but looks like they might be at least a year or so away. I currently own the 2nd gen AirPod Pros. I'm about to start a WFH position so was looking for some good overheads for noise cancellation and maybe to take to the gym as well (though I can use my Pros at the gym).

Would appreciate people's thoughts - especially who own both.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
If you are planning to wear it for many hours, I wouldn't suggest. I bought one last year with guarantee as the previous owner didn't use it much and missed the last date for returning it. I got it for a good price. To be true, I didn't use it much either. It sounded fantastic but I found it too heavy to use for longer periods. So I sold it just before Christmas. As the price went up in Sweden in the shops, it was profitable.
So, if you want one, I would suggest a used one in mint condition with guarantee left or AC+

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I own both. I use the Max at home, and the AirPods 2 whenever I'm out and about (and occasionally at home).

If noise cancelation is your main reason for wanting the Max, save your money. The second-generation AirPods Pro cancel noise just as well than the AirPods Max. The Max deliver somewhat better sound and a larger soundstage, though it's not a night-and-day difference.

I find the Max to be very comfortable, although they do get a bit warm after an hour or two of wear. They also don't seem too heavy to me, at least when I'm sitting still. But there's no way I would want to wear them at the gym.

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I own both. I use the Max at home, and the AirPods 2 whenever I'm out and about (and occasionally at home).

If noise cancelation is your main reason for wanting the Max, save your money. The second-generation AirPods Pro cancel noise just as well than the AirPods Max. The Max deliver somewhat better sound and a larger soundstage, though it's not a night-and-day difference.

I find the Max to be very comfortable, although they do get a bit warm after an hour or two of wear. They also don't seem too heavy to me, at least when I'm sitting still. But there's no way I would want to wear them at the gym.
I just bought the AirPods Max today after hesitating for a while and I also have the AirPods Pro 2nd generation. I think @japanime has very similar thoughts to me on the use of the Max vs Pros. I wouldn't wear the Max to the gym either and I do find them a bit heavy but I've never had over the ear headphones before so I think it will just take some getting used to. The AirPods Max sound amazing to me delivering solid bass. I feel like I would be more inclined to wear the Pros when out and about or even going for a walk.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I have both Max and APP2, on the plane the Max were much better with noise cancellation than the APP2 with comply foam tips.

I imagine it would’ve been worse with the silicon tips which don’t suit my ears

Anyway, the bass on the APP2 is quite surprising for such a small thing that I actually prefer it to the Max. As above I only wear the Max at home or on a plane, and the APP2 at work or out and about

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I have both Max and APP2, on the plane the Max were much better with noise cancellation than the APP2 with comply foam tips.

I imagine it would’ve been worse with the silicon tips which don’t suit my ears

Anyway, the bass on the APP2 is quite surprising for such a small thing that I actually prefer it to the Max. As above I only wear the Max at home or on a plane, and the APP2 at work or out and about
The next time I take a flight, I'm going to wear the Max over the APPs. I've tried it at home, and the amount of noise the combination cancels is incredible.

Reactions: The1andOnly

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I have the APM & recently the APP2.
Firstly, the APP2s are definitely better than the 1st gen. Though the APM sound better than the APP2, I find myself choosing them over APM more often than not as they are easier/less cumbersome to use and they still sound very good.

Nice to have the choice though.

daileyfr

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2022
I think it's pretty clear that APM2 aren't a priority until 2024 now. I didn't want to wait so I got the APM this weekend to see if this was a train I'd get on moving forward. I get a little sweaty around my ears when I wear them around the apartment for too long, but the sound field is way bigger than the APP2 if that's your thing. They look pretty fly so that's always a good thing.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I gave up waiting and got a pair today. The gap between APP2 and these aint what I hoped but it is good enough. I’m most disappointed with classical music but it could just be that my files are bad quality, im using apple music tho so i dunno. It could be a long wait. If they release new ones tomorrow I’ll exchange. If they update them in March I’ll see how much I can trade-in for. The reason I bought these so late is because I was waiting for v2.0 but whatever it just doesnt pay to wait for something that isnt on a well-defined schedule

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022

Wirecutter says the Max ANC is the best you can buy—*for long droning/predictable noises*, not for voices. So it depends on the use case. I think they might be best for planes and ac noise as long as voices dont distract you. Personally I hate voices but it is worth noting they perform better than almost everything else for predictable lower frequency noises, according to wirecutter.

Reactions: curdy and japanime

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
If you're in the market for a new pair of over-ear headphones with noise cancellation, there are several options available that are similar to the AirPods Max. Here are a few popular options to consider:

Sony WH-1000XM4: These headphones are highly rated for their noise cancellation capabilities and overall sound quality. They have a comfortable fit and a long battery life, and offer similar features to the AirPods Max such as touch controls and voice assistance compatibility.

Bose QuietComfort 35 II: These headphones are known for their excellent noise cancellation and comfortable fit. They have a similar design to the AirPods Max and offer a good sound quality. They also have a long battery life, and you can use the Bose Connect app to control various settings.

Sennheiser HD 660 S: These headphones are highly rated for their sound quality and offer a detailed and balanced sound. They are designed for audiophiles, and they also have a comfortable fit and good noise isolation. They don't have active noise cancellation like the other two options, but they still may be a good choice if you're looking for a pair of headphones with great sound quality.

Ultimately, the best headphones for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs, so it may be helpful to read reviews and try them out before making a decision.
Aren't the HD 660 S open back headphones? If so, I can't imagine wanting to use them for noise cancelation.

I personally would go for the Max over the Bose and Sony models, simply because those two are made of plastic and thus prone to creaking. The aluminum and steel construction of the Max make them noise-free.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I own both the AirPods Pro 2 and the airpods max. I use the max at home in situations where I’m going to be sitting down. When I’m doing housework and moving about I use my AirPods pro. Outside I also prefer my AirPods max. Just prefer the over head feeling to in ears. The only times I chose my pros over the max outside is if it’s really hot and I don’t want a heavy pair headphones or if it’s raining and I don’t want the Max to get wet. I work from home and I’ve found myself using the maxes for zoom calls and meetings. I wouldn’t wear them for the gym.

Last edited:
Reactions: cashville2400

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I own both the AirPods Pro 2 and the airpods max. I use the max at home in situations where I’m going to be sitting down. When I’m doing housework and moving about I use my AirPods pro. Outside I also prefer my AirPods max. Just prefer the over head feeling to in ears. The only times I chose my pros over the max outside is if it’s really hot and I don’t want a heavy pair headphones or if it’s raining and I don’t want the Max to get wet. I work from home and I’ve found myself using the maxes for zoom calls and meetings. I wouldn’t wear them for the gym.
yeah i just got the max, also habe app2s, i noticed that the anc gap between the two is not that big. much of it has to do with the passive nc resulting frok earcup cover of the maxes rather than a better cancelltion system i think, which sometimes makes me feel the bang fir the buck and and performance for bulk ratios in the maxes are bit worse than the app2s, but overall music sounds better with the maxes and it is a better experience when portbility isnt. concern no question so trhey each have rheur places

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
If you're in the market for a new pair of over-ear headphones with noise cancellation, there are several options available that are similar to the AirPods Max. Here are a few popular options to consider:

Sony WH-1000XM4: These headphones are highly rated for their noise cancellation capabilities and overall sound quality. They have a comfortable fit and a long battery life, and offer similar features to the AirPods Max such as touch controls and voice assistance compatibility.

Bose QuietComfort 35 II: These headphones are known for their excellent noise cancellation and comfortable fit. They have a similar design to the AirPods Max and offer a good sound quality. They also have a long battery life, and you can use the Bose Connect app to control various settings.

Sennheiser HD 660 S: These headphones are highly rated for their sound quality and offer a detailed and balanced sound. They are designed for audiophiles, and they also have a comfortable fit and good noise isolation. They don't have active noise cancellation like the other two options, but they still may be a good choice if you're looking for a pair of headphones with great sound quality.

Ultimately, the best headphones for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs, so it may be helpful to read reviews and try them out before making a decision.
The successor Sony WH-1000XM5 is for half a year now on the market and the NC improved quite a bit.

Much better than Airpod Pros or XM4

Reactions: cashville2400

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Goose - I’m just curious if you’ve tried taking them to the gym?
Nope lol i dont go to the gym. I have used them while sitting outdoors in windy-ish conditions and not encountered issues. Also while briskly walking in cold weather. And for long periods of time at home. No sweat issues if thats what you’re concerned about. However, I deliberately avoid wearing them if I havent showered as I imagine that they will accumulate odors. Otoh the ear muff parts are replaceablez

Honestly i dont use them when im out and about much. I use the APP2 for that. And I have delegated my APP1 for running bc i dont mind if they get sweaty now and the ANC amplifies wind on the APP2 REALLY bad. It is severe. The APP1 dont have this problem at all. It is very disappointing honestly. In the winter tho as i said the Max's make Ok ear muffs and altho i havent tried i suspect they would be a good companion for flights, tho a bit of a pita to pack. But blocking that noise could be worth it if you feel more energized on arrival.

Last edited:

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I dont think international vs national makes a differencd. I was trying to use them for a call yesterday and I decided it was too awkward: they cancel my voice so much that I feel awkward speaking because I can’t hear myself talk. But I avoid most headphones for calls for that reason and generally have people ob speaker.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
I own AirPods Max and AirPods Pro (1st Gen), the max are my preferred headphones for listing while working while the latter are best for exercise, running errands, etc.

The active noise cancelling (ANC) on the Max is hard to to exaggerate, it works that well (esp. in noisy L.A.). My Pros are great but the ANC can't hold a candle to the Max, maybe the Pro 2s are better but I wouldn't know.

For telephone calls, I often use the AirPods Pro because I can get away with one earbud instead of wearing the whole thing but for important-ish calls, I will often use the AirPods Max because of the ANC. For international calls, assuming you're using POTS and not FaceTime Audio or Skype, I don't imagine you're going to see any improvement over a typical phone call.

For video/Zoom calls, the Max are a dream. The longest I've gone wearing them in one session was a little over 3 hours and they were quite comfortable. The Pros often get "itchy" in my ears after an hour or so and I need to take them out, wipe them with a Kleenex, then pop them back in. The Pros usually last quite well on battery but run out of juice after about 2.5-3 hours on calls while the Max can go on and on. I like that I can charge the Max while wearing them, that's a nice advantage if you're low on battery.

Candidly, I don't know how much more "improvement" one could have over the current gen Max. I bought mine at the  Store (hello 3% cash rewards!) but you may be able to find them online in other stores for a discount.

Reactions: GlenK and japanime

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I own AirPods Max and AirPods Pro (1st Gen), the max are my preferred headphones for listing while working while the latter are best for exercise, running errands, etc.

The active noise cancelling (ANC) on the Max is hard to to exaggerate, it works that well (esp. in noisy L.A.). My Pros are great but the ANC can't hold a candle to the Max, maybe the Pro 2s are better but I wouldn't know.

For telephone calls, I often use the AirPods Pro because I can get away with one earbud instead of wearing the whole thing but for important-ish calls, I will often use the AirPods Max because of the ANC. For international calls, assuming you're using POTS and not FaceTime Audio or Skype, I don't imagine you're going to see any improvement over a typical phone call.

For video/Zoom calls, the Max are a dream. The longest I've gone wearing them in one session was a little over 3 hours and they were quite comfortable. The Pros often get "itchy" in my ears after an hour or so and I need to take them out, wipe them with a Kleenex, then pop them back in. The Pros usually last quite well on battery but run out of juice after about 2.5-3 hours on calls while the Max can go on and on. I like that I can charge the Max while wearing them, that's a nice advantage if you're low on battery.

Candidly, I don't know how much more "improvement" one could have over the current gen Max. I bought mine at the  Store (hello 3% cash rewards!) but you may be able to find them online in other stores for a discount.
Interesting, doesnt the ANC throw you off with your own voice in skype etc? I tried them in a meeting and my own voice got cancelled out, it was so weird I had to quickly take them off and go to speaker lol. I had the feeling "this is what it must be like to be a deaf person trying to talk"

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
Interesting, doesnt the ANC throw you off with your own voice in skype etc? I tried them in a meeting and my own voice got cancelled out, it was so weird I had to quickly take them off and go to speaker lol. I had the feeling "this is what it must be like to be a deaf person trying to talk"

I get you. I don't use ANC constantly but when there is a LOT of noise going on outside (e.g., jackhammers, fire engines, etc.). The transparency mode is terrific, like having nothing on at all.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I used to get told I was yelling when I had ANC on my calls LOL I think it's because I couldn't hear myself.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
I’m definitely convinced to get the Max after reading this thread. However, I noticed quite a few have both the APP2 & the Max. Your use cases sound similar to why I would love to get both. There’s just one little problem: based on my experience with the APP1, I’m not going to like the way they feel in my ears. Seriously, they always felt like someone’s finger was stuck in my ear. I ended up giving them to my son.

I saw above that you can get replacement tips. I don’t think foam ones would be any different if they’re anything like foam ear plugs. What is comfortable for me is the wired earbuds (EarPods?) that Apple used to include with iPhones. But I like the capabilities of the APP2. Any tips I can replace the APP2’s silicone tips with that would be like those?

Edit: something like this maybe?

Last edited:

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I saw a few that a few Apple stores around me just received a good amount of stock. Was going to wait to see if there’s a version 2 coming, but decided to get one today. If another version comes out and happens to have worthy upgrades, then I’ll sell the version 1s and get those since resell value seems to be pretty decent.

mikehoiu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Just some advice get the AppleCare it’s cheap insurance. Bought my blue ones from Amazon in November and use them for teams meeting and music, best headphones I have ever had.

Reactions: 1885507
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.