Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Hey, I'm thinking about buying my first Macbook Air, I already use a Mac Mini which I love, it made me hate Windows. My question though is what would you suggest that I get?

I know it comes down to me and my personal opinions and preferences, however I'm after some advice from people who already have Macbooks, whilst the 12inch is obviously an inch bigger, which Macbook do you think would be the best one to get in terms of the hardware but also value for money?

I need to have a few more pay days come around first anyway so I'll be waiting anyway. I'm also curious as to when the 12inch will be released. It'd be nice for it to be released in a month or two (wishful thinking).

Help? :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not wait and see what apple does. At this point its better not to rush into a purchase unless you absolutely have too

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im faced with the same issue. I want to get a new macbook. In torn between getting the 13" rMBP or waiting for the new air. Odds are the announcement of the new air and apple watch will be at the same time. So I feel like in March we will at least know when the new air is coming.

The new air will likely feature a retina display, which is well worth the wait in my opinion.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I would wait!! I love my 2012 11" macbook air but the bezel is horrendous and they panel is showing its age. If the new 12" has retina, 2 USB 3.1 C, SD reader and mag safe it will be an instant buy for me. If it's anything like that artist render with one port, I will not even consider it and use my air till it dies.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I also have a Mac mini, and I'm seriously considering a 2014 11" refurb with 8GB ram.

It's almost like the 2014 vs 2012 Mac mini, it might be worse to go for the new model. You get better graphics but everything else sucks!

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
You may as well wait and see what Apple releases. We pretty much know the 12" will be at least announced in the first half of this year, and if you decide you don't like the new Retina MacBook Air the 11" inch non-retina model will most likely go down in price around the same time.

Only buy now if you REALLY urgently need a new MacBook.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Step back and wait. Unless you need a new laptop right now you may as well wait a few months and get the best updated laptop from Apple. Otherwise, you'll simply regret waiting not waiting just a few months after you see the new 12".

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You may as well wait and see what Apple releases. We pretty much know the 12" will be at least announced in the first half of this year, and if you decide you don't like the new Retina MacBook Air the 11" inch non-retina model will most likely go down in price around the same time.

Only buy now if you REALLY urgently need a new MacBook.
That assumes that the current 11" MBA model will still be available. When Apple released the 2014 Mac Mini, was the previous generation still made available?

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
If the current generation device meets your needs, why risk getting the new model?

We know if it's Retina and IPS it will drain more power from the battery to power the display than a TN panel.

If you want Thunderbolt and processing power, the current model should be a better option.

If you're ok with USB C and a Core M processor, then wait for the new model.

Waiting for a new model is now a risk with Apple products if you expect the functionality of current models.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you do not have to buy now, I would wait. Lots of rumors out there on the new 12" MBAir but only time will tell. If the rumors are correct and they have eliminated all the ports except one and removed the SD card reader, I am moving back to a MBPro 15. Until then my new MBAir 13" is perfect!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That assumes that the current 11" MBA model will still be available. When Apple released the 2014 Mac Mini, was the previous generation still made available?

They came down pretty fast. I don't remember whether it was instantly or just very quickly. Refurbs continued to be available for quite a while (there were some as recently as last night, but they go very fast).

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have always loved the 11" MBA, for me all they had to do is decrease the bezel and give it a retina screen!
it is, for now, as long as it lasts, Apples smallest fully functional (with Ports)
Laptop, if you ever wanted one get one now!

Same here. I have the mid-2012 11" MBA and I'm still in love with it. All I want for a new one is a Retina screen, and a better battery life (Because it's seriously bad ~4h. I bought it exactly one month and one week before they released the 2013 one that had a 8hrs+ battery. FML). Smaller bezels would be nice since that would allow for a bigger screen in the same footprint, aside from looking better.

I don't care about the ports, I never use them anyway.

To answer OP's question, I would wait until you absolutely need one now. It should be announced in the next couple of months. You can then make a decision if you want to wait some more for it to be released, or go with the 2014 model.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!

That was a different type of release entirely. The 12" MBA will be a new design with and the first time the MBA gets a retina display. This is similar to when the rMBP was released in 2012. The older generation non-retina MBP models were kept alongside the newer models and phased out over time. Even though the 5K retina iMac hasn't had a new design, the older models are still available.

The chances are the 2014 MBA models will stay on as a cheaper alternative to the 12" rMBA.

Even if they don't and Apple goes against trend the 2014 models will be available in the refurb store. Like other posters have suggested.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Of course nobody really knows, but see this recent article:

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/13/apple-production-12-inch-macbook-air-q1-2015/

Sources close to Quanta further note that the 12-inch MacBook Air will replace the existing 11-inch MacBook Air, with Apple choosing to keep the 13-inch MacBook Air.

----------

Even if they don't and Apple goes against trend the 2014 models will be available in the refurb store. Like other posters have suggested.

Remember what happened when people didn't like the new Mini? 2012 refurbs vanished from the store as soon as they appeared...

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That was a different type of release entirely. The 12" MBA will be a new design with and the first time the MBA gets a retina display. This is similar to when the rMBP was released in 2012.
That is only rumor and speculation at this point. You are giving the impression that it is authoritative information.

The older generation non-retina MBP models were kept alongside the newer models and phased out over time. Even though the 5K retina iMac hasn't had a new design, the older models are still available.

The chances are the 2014 MBA models will stay on as a cheaper alternative to the 12" rMBA.

That's fine that you don't agree. My intention was not to convince anyone to change their opinion but to offer the OP something to consider.

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Like others have said, wait unless you really need a laptop. If you just want one wait a few months. You'll save more $$ towards the purchase. When the 12" is announced you'll be able to buy discounted NIB 11" models at Best Buy or other places, buy used 11" models cheap and possibly even get a good deal on refurbs and open box units being returned for the new models.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Thanks for the responses guys, some really good posts. Although I'm still very torn because you make valid points so I'm kind of lost really.

I really want an 11 inch because I'd like a small laptop I can carry around with me and transport my work. My only issue is that if I wait, the 12 will make the 11 decrease in value so it's cheaper to buy, but what if they completely remove the 11 and I have to pay more to get the 12 as apposed to how much the 11 is now.

It's a real tricky one, but I can't get one just yet, need to save up some more money before I can get one. I'll have to think about it - really no telling what Apple will do with it to be honest.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks for the responses guys, some really good posts. Although I'm still very torn because you make valid points so I'm kind of lost really.

I really want an 11 inch because I'd like a small laptop I can carry around with me and transport my work. My only issue is that if I wait, the 12 will make the 11 decrease in value so it's cheaper to buy, but what if they completely remove the 11 and I have to pay more to get the 12 as apposed to how much the 11 is now.

It's a real tricky one, but I can't get one just yet, need to save up some more money before I can get one. I'll have to think about it - really no telling what Apple will do with it to be honest.

What about a refurb? If you buy now, they don't usually drop in price once the new model is released.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
I'm not sure about refurbished models. I know they come from Apple all checked out and everything, but I just have a thing about getting brand new products, particularly from Apple. I don't know why.

It would be cheaper as well but then again, I've seen things disappear pretty quickly on there so I might bite the bullet and just get one new. At least I don't have to keep checking I guess.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
My only concern with the new 12 inch would be possible retina related problems similar to what the first release of the rMBP had. If you get the 11 and then decide later that you have to have the 12, you can always sell the 11 and get the 12 without losing very much money.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I just ordered a CTO Macbook Air 11" with 8GB Ram. I'm not risking losing Thunderbolt on the new model, lesser processing power, and potentially worse battery life due to retina.

Checked out the 11" last night at the Apple Store here in The Hague, and the slightly higher pixel density compared to the 13" is great.

The only thing I didn't like was the shadowing close to the edges of the screen, but a TN Panel is never going to be as good as IPS in that regard.

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014

If you really want an 11" then waiting is the game. Even if Apple pulls the 11 from their stores completely you'll be able to get it as a refurb or clearance item. Every retailer like Best Buy, Fry's ... will discount the 11" to move inventory. Some people who bought the 11" 2 weeks before the 12" comes on line will return and upgrade. I've bought EVERY Apple laptop as an open box deal @ Best Buy and they have lasted fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.