Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you really want an 11" then waiting is the game. Even if Apple pulls the 11 from their stores completely you'll be able to get it as a refurb or clearance item. Every retailer like Best Buy, Fry's ... will discount the 11" to move inventory. Some people who bought the 11" 2 weeks before the 12" comes on line will return and upgrade. I've bought EVERY Apple laptop as an open box deal @ Best Buy and they have lasted fine.
I've not seen open box deals at Best Buy that were worth the price different. For an $50, I'd rather buy it new. But if the discount is significant, then yes it could be worth it.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Buy.

In 2014, it was the Mac Mini 2012 4 Core Server.
In 2015, it will be the Macbook Air 2014 11inch.

I don't think Apple learned from their 2014 Mini Mistake.

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I've not seen open box deals at Best Buy that were worth the price different. For an $50, I'd rather buy it new. But if the discount is significant, then yes it could be worth it.

You need to ask the manager to drop the price. My last PowerBook I got them to take an extra $100 off the already lowered price. Everything is negotiable. You just need to ask. Worse they can do is say no.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I'm gonna say it: I think the 11" is a really bad buy, awful screen with netbook-grade gamut and viewing angles, and only $100 keeping it from the 13" model, with superior battery and SD slot.

If you want something more compact than the 13", wait.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I'm gonna say it: I think the 11" is a really bad buy, awful screen with netbook-grade gamut and viewing angles, and only $100 keeping it from the 13" model, with superior battery and SD slot.

Wait and buy what? There are no comparable Ultrabooks in 11". The only one is maybe the Dell XPS 11 but that capacitive keyboard is a joke. Sony pulled the pin on their Vaio business.

The rMBA (if we follow the rumours) will not have the battery life of the current 11" machine, will lack most ports, and will be more expensive. It will also have less performance with it's fanless Core M design.

The screen on the 11" arguably doesn't suffer from viewing angle issues because the screen is so small, plus it's designed for one person to use it while traveling. The brightness is reported to be better than on the 13". If you bought an 11" air for photo editing you have the wrong machine, but yes the colour gamut is the only real issue with a TN display. It has the bonus features of instant response and better power efficiency than IPS.

In 13" the Ultrabook competition is quite fierce with good alternatives to the Macbook Air. I think the 13" is the bad buy.

I think Apple will keep the 13" and reduce the price. If the rMBA will have Broadwell, the 13" should stay with Haswell. Who knows what will really happen but that's my gut feeling. Apple in the past 1-2 years have really narrowed down the options to force you to buy what they want to sell you.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Disagree. I have zero use for an SD slot, and to me there's no difference between a battery that lasts 12 hours vs. one that lasts 9 (it's still more than a full workday).

The 13" feels like a beast compared to the 11". Even the rMBP has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA.

I would buy another 11" in a heartbeat.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
no use in buying now, you already missed the opportunity to run 10.9! (unless you buy used)

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Disagree. I have zero use for an SD slot, and to me there's no difference between a battery that lasts 12 hours vs. one that lasts 9 (it's still more than a full workday).

The 13" feels like a beast compared to the 11". Even the rMBP has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA.

I would buy another 11" in a heartbeat.

+1

Honestly, if I wanted to go 13" (which for me is a full-sized machine),, I'd go MBP, no questions asked.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
get the 13" retina when it is updated. Nice to have more power, i believe the rMBA will have intel's M processor and it requires barely any power.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
If you really want an 11" then waiting is the game. Even if Apple pulls the 11 from their stores completely you'll be able to get it as a refurb or clearance item. Every retailer like Best Buy, Fry's ... will discount the 11" to move inventory. Some people who bought the 11" 2 weeks before the 12" comes on line will return and upgrade. I've bought EVERY Apple laptop as an open box deal @ Best Buy and they have lasted fine.

This ^^. If they discontinue the 11" , all remaining 'new in box' 11 inch models will hit the refurb store.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
That assumes that the current 11" MBA model will still be available. When Apple released the 2014 Mac Mini, was the previous generation still made available?

The current 11" will be available as a refurb and brand new from other retailers for a while after the release of the new MBA. There is nothing to assume about the availability.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Just bought an 11". It may be the greatest Mac I've ever had, well besides my 1993 Quadra 610AV of course. :roll eyes:

First time I've ever been in a MacRumors forum that's not for iPhones or iPads. As usual I see the same logic applies. Everyone thinks everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about. I will continue that logic and do the same.

For me I quit using SD cards about 4 years ago. My wife has a Nikon heavy duty that uses CF cards and everything else is taken with iPhones. If you haven't noticed iPhones are people's cameras now. SD cards? I guess storage could be a use but I don't have that concern. Then again I have a 16 Gb iPhone 6. I know, crazy right? I pretty much live in the cloud.

I thought about the 13" but the 11" portability is dramatically different. The 13" Air is huge. If anything I would pay MORE for the 11".

Do I regret not waiting for the inevitable 12" Retina? No. Technology changes all the time. I wanted this now and I'm enjoying it so so much. The screen takes some getting used to coming from Retina land but its really not that bad. The portability weight and size all make me forget about Retina.

If you play the "Wait till next month" game you will wait the rest of your life.

WHEN a RETINA MacBook comes out, whenever that is, 22% of MacRumors users will hate it for some weird reason like it doesn't support OS X 10.0.2 or something and you will easily be able to sell your 11". Buy it now and enjoy it.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I'm deciding to buy a 13" now or wait and see what happens in the next 4-6 weeks. Not in a hurry to buy. But, I have cash set aside waiting. Would just like to get something and be done with it.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm deciding to buy a 13" now or wait and see what happens in the next 4-6 weeks. Not in a hurry to buy. But, I have cash set aside waiting. Would just like to get something and be done with it.

The real question is, would you have any regrets if you bought it now and they came up with the new one just past your 30-days return period, or not ?

I would wait, if only because if the new one doesn't fit my needs/wants, I will be able to buy the current one for less than I would now.

I bought my mid-2012 MBA in May 2013. Just one month and one week later, they got the new one out, with 2x the battery life. I really really hated that - especially since the mid-2012's battery is dismal. But hey, I survived and I still use it every day. I would have pulled the trigger long ago if not for the Retina rumors. So i'm waiting, so I will be able to CHOOSE, and not regret my choice.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
The real question is, would you have any regrets if you bought it now and they came up with the new one just past your 30-days return period, or not ?

I would wait, if only because if the new one doesn't fit my needs/wants, I will be able to buy the current one for less than I would now.

I bought my mid-2012 MBA in May 2013. Just one month and one week later, they got the new one out, with 2x the battery life. I really really hated that - especially since the mid-2012's battery is dismal. But hey, I survived and I still use it every day. I would have pulled the trigger long ago if not for the Retina rumors. So i'm waiting, so I will be able to CHOOSE, and not regret my choice.

Good point. I'd be upset if I bought now and new "Better" one is released shortly after. I'll just wait.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Good point. I'd be upset if I bought now and new "Better" one is released shortly after. I'll just wait.

Meh, here's the question you have to ask yourself: do you need a new laptop and does the current model meet your needs?

If the answer is yes, then go ahead and buy the current model.

If a new model comes out tomorrow, it doesn't make s*** for difference because you bought and own something that meets your needs, so what do you care, other than to satisfy some stupid primitive urge to own the newest and shiniest things?

Last year I had to buy a new laptop literally days before some Apple conference where everybody expected them to announce a retina 12" MBA. I was all stressed out and trying to figure out ways to delay the purchase until I realized that I would still be perfectly happy with the current 11" model and it doesn't really make any difference what Apple does.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
I had this same dilemma... Last September, when there were big rumors of a 12" retina air. I ended up not waiting and buying the 11", which I love. Now, of course, since time has passed, the odds of a 12" increase... But I do wonder if a first generation 12" retina will live up to everyone's expectations. Will it take a hit in battery life or power?

Anyway, I love love love my 11" air, and thankfully there is no buyers remorse because that 12" air has yet to emerge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.