Buy an iPad now, or wait for iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iFanboy, Sep 18, 2010.

  1. iFanboy Guest

    #1
    With iOS 4.2 i'm keen to jump on the iPad.

    My only dislike is basically the spec seems a bit low, and now multitasking is a feature, and as apps will only get better over time i'm wondering how long before I will feel compelled to get the next version.

    Being honest, if the next version offers noticeable performance gains i'm going to get it. Which would be ridiculous if my iPad is only say 4 months old when the next version comes out.

    Obviously we're not going to get retina with iPad2, but I see a ram and processor bump as being pretty likely. Not interested in cameras etc.. at all.

    Thoughts? Get an ipad now as the ipad2 is likely to be only a minor bump, or hold off and get the performance improvements of iPad2?

    Decisions decisions.....
     
  2. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #2
    My guess, is that the iPad 2 will be introduced 1 year after the 1st generation one. That would mean you would need to wait 7-8 months.

    If you can wait that long fine. Otherwise get one now and enjoy. Up to you. :)
     
  3. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

    Ciclismo

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #3
    Wait for the next gen, it's only several months. But then again, when that is released, then the next generation (iPad Gen III) is only several months away...maybe you should then wait for that. Although, when Apple releases iPad III, then version IV would be just around the bend. Maybe you should hold off until then?

    :rolleyes:
     
  4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #4
    This is an age old dilemma and never has a right answer.

    Note: You can always resell current ipad when the next-one comes out. And buy the new one.
     
  5. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

    Cosmo M3

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #5
    holy crap, how many more of these threads can we find?
     
  6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

    sapporobaby

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    3 earth minutes from your location....
    #6
    I think the first thing you should consider is using the MR search function to find out that there are a million other threads just like yours taking up cyberspace.
     
  7. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #7
    If you are the type of person who buys a device because of the hardware, then wait. But if you are actually going to USE the device, there is no need to wait. The current iPad is quite useful.
     
  8. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #8
    Very true.

    I was leaning towards a Netbook. Now I don't see a need. The iPad rocks.
     
  9. azentropy macrumors 68000

    azentropy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    Surprise
    #9
    The optimum date and times to purchase an iPad was between August 22nd at 3:29pm MST and September 11th at 1:38pm MST. If you bought before then you were had to suffer being an early adopter of a v1 product. If you bought after then it is too close the the iPad 2 release.

    So can we stop with these threads now? :D
     
  10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    #10
    Maybe one more from me! :) (I'm going through the same dilemma right now...)

    It'll never happen! ;)
     
  11. 3lionsbecks Suspended

    3lionsbecks

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #11
    Looks like the man upgrade will be a front facing camera. I wouldn't count on too much else.

    Apple seems to be prepping for a early 2011 release so if you want to wait 5-6 months for the camera then you should wait but if not you can buy a refurbished one now for a discounted price off the Apple store.

    I bought mine in June and have no need for face time cameras so I feel justified in my purchase.
     
  12. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

    HappyDude20

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles, Ca
    #12
    I would wait. I love my iPad however I plan on giving my iPad to my mom considering she's been wanting a laptop for longest time. She has an iPod touch already so she would know how to use an iPad. The rumor of face time co,ing to the second gen iPad would be enough for me to wait for the second one. Only cause I plan on giving it to her so she would be able to face time with me and my sister when we are on the other side of the world.

    Currently my plan is to sell this first gen iPad a month before the new one is released, go a month without an iPad, hold onto the money I sold the first iPad, and then purchased the second gen.

    The only problem is when the new iPad will come out. It was announced in january 2010 but it didn't come out till April 2010. So it'll be one of these two dates in 2011. My guess is it'll come out in April.
     
  13. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

    Mr Kram

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    #13
    unless you think the change is coming soon, why wait? if you want an ipad, go buy it. you can always upgrade when the new one comes out.
     
  14. applefan289 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    I was in the same dilemma a few days ago but just decided to buy it. I went with the 16GB + 3G version. It is much better than a laptop in my opinion (if you already have a desktop)
     
  15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

    wirelessmacuser

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Location:
    Planet.Earth
    #15
    Do yourself a huge favor and wait. In my decades' worth of experience with Apple products, the second version is always far better than the first.
     

Share This Page