Buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VPrime, Jun 25, 2010.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I am currently developing an iPhone game (which will also have an iPad version), and have some ideas for iPad apps. I eventually planned on getting an iPad for development any ways.....

But, recently I have been given the opportunity to get a free iPad (or take the cash) and just cant decide wether I should get it or not.

I really don't Require it right now. I have a desktop (hack pro), laptop (macbook 2.4ghz aluminium), and an iPhone (well that is a lie.. Sold it to get iPhone 4 when it releases here in Canada).
    I don't need it now but I will require an iPad for testing later when my apps are further in development.

Part of me wants one now because:
    -I sold my iPhone, so it would be nice to have something to replace it until I get the iPhone 4.
    -It would be nice to play with the iPad. Get a feel for the device and it capabilities to see which routes to take for future app ideas.
    -A neat toy, which can replace lots of my laptop use (web browsing and junk)
    -If I don't buy the iPad the money will just be spent on something else. Probably a toy for my car (which I don't need either), or some other stupid thing.

But then the small part of my mind (the rational part), keeps saying I don't need it right now (which is true) and can hold off on the purchase for another 5 or 6 months..

Thoughts?

Oh. I should also mention I am going to go for the 16gb WIFI.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iPad. Unless you have a dying (literally) need for the $500 cash elsewhere.

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Nope, not really.. I have 2 project cars that wouldn't mind the 500. But that would be another useless purchase ;).
    This would at least return some money (hopefully) in the future :D

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd say take the free iPad. At least that is what I would do if I had the choice between that and the 500, especially since you will have good use for it.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you don't need that $500, then iPad away. :)

6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Will this award be taxed as compensation? If so, consider taking the cash.

7. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Nope, it will be considered a gift. I think I will be ordering one right now as they seem to be sold out everywhere locally :cool:

edit: Decided to hold out until July 1st. Local shops website says they are expecting some on that day... Apple won't be able to deliver until the week after. Plus it gives me time to continue pondering ;)

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

iPad! They are fun to develop on. (So is the iPhone but the iPad has more room).

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

iPad, you'll use it more than you think. It might become you primary CPU.

10. hybridfx2 macrumors newbie

iPad.
    If your gonna get the 500, your gonna spend it on something useless or unneeded and then your gonna need to shell out 500 for the ipad down the road.

why not get it now its free?

11. darksider macrumors member

From my point of view - it's just clear you WANT iPad, you just want others to tell you need it.

12. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Heh no kidding. I got a few ideas that I hope to make happen over the next year or 2.. Things that woudn't make sense on the iPhone due to its size.

Your right, I do want it. I am just finding it hard to justify a purchase I don't need at this moment. The points people have brought up in this thread make sense to me and have helped aid my in me decision. :)

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i would just take the cash and buy a used one.
    or like you said, wait.

14. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Bought the iPad. Kind of wish I went with the 3G, but I know I won't notice in a few weeks once I get my iPhone back ;).

Pretty awesome so far. The minor differences between the iphone and iPad os are quite nice.