buy apple keyboard or keep windows keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chau, Jul 19, 2011.

1. chau macrumors newbie

im planning on getting the new mac mini whenever it comes out, should i get an apple keyboard or keep my logitech one? is there any big differences?

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had a old logitech keyboard. I have a MBP but also use an external monitor with it for photo editing. I decided to pick up a apple keyboard on ebay and a Magic Trackpad. I saved some moneyby not buying directly from Apple, and no tax. One was a refurb and the other was slightly used so I got a good deal. Of course you can use your old keyboard but if you are moving over from windows to a mac it is nice to cut ties to the old ways :)

As a side note it took a bit of time getting used to an apple keyboard. Moving from a ergonomic keyboard to a small keyboard at first felt like it was designed for a little girl but I quickly got used to it.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I like using an Apple keyboard so that keys like command, control, option, etc. match up.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think you'll be fine either way, but from my point of view, the Apple keyboard is one of the most beautifully designed peripherals I have ever seen for a computer. You would think that you couldn't really do much to improve the keyboard, but they went out and made it so much more elegant than anything I have ever seen before. For this kind of deeply impressive innovation, I'd definitely fork out the cash :)

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

As regards the Apple Wireless Keyboard, I remember clearly that only one keyboard I used is better than it. That was a keyboard that came with an Alpha Workstation. The typing experience on that Alpha Workstation keyboard was really extraordinary! Even though the Apple Wireless Keyboard is not as good as the Alpha Workstation keyboard, it comes pretty close to it.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If the Logitech is ergonomic then I would keep it. Otherwise I would buy an ergonomic keyboard.

As for key layout Microsoft has drivers on their website for the keyboards they make like the Comfort Curve for Mac. So that the cmd, ctrl and option keys are in their proper position plus any media keys at the top are useable. Perhaps Logitech does the same I don't know as I only buy Logitech mice and Microsoft keyboards. Logitechs multi-button mouse drivers work well though.

Also since it is a desktop computer I would get a wired keyboard and mouse so that you don't have to keep wasting batteries.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would buy an Apple keyboard. They have a really nice tactile clickly feedback.
    I also prefer all the keys and shortcuts lining up (⌘, option, control, command, dashboard, brightness, sound, expose, etc).

If you really don't feel like spending the money though, then don't worry about it. They are kinda expensive IMO

8. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on the keyboard you have. Many Logitech keyboards, but not all of them, are set up with BOTH the Windows and Mac key labels on them. If you have one of these, it will probably have good driver support and all fo the features will probably work. If your keyboard just has the windows keys, it will still work as a keyboard, but any 'special' keys may be suspect. In that case, I'd get an apple keyboard, or at least a keyboard designed to be used with a Mac.

9. toxic macrumors 68000

buy a Mac keyboard, not necessarily an Apple one. Windows keyboards don't work near as well because the "command" (Windows) button is in the wrong place, among other things.

10. michaelsmith035 macrumors newbie

Is buying an Apple keyboard a good deal for a Windows machine use…

Check to other website and you can download a free program known as EventGhost. This program lets you create macros that will help you to come up key combinations that let you achieve the functions you want. For example: Most commonly encountered problem with Apple keyboard attached to Windows machine is regarding the Delete key.

http://www.techyv.com/questions/buying-apple-keyboard-good-deal-windows-machine-user

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I will say that the Apple keyboards are very very pretty, but they just aren't great for typing. For me, there is not enough key travel and they are just completely uncomfortable. They are not very ergonomically designed. So, if you do a lot of typing, I'd look elsewhere. My personal favorite is Logitech. Keep in mind that you can buy a keyboard with a Windows key, just be sure that it has Mac drivers (the Logitech website will tell you). The Windows key becomes the Command key, and F12 pulls double duty as an F-key and the eject key (if you hold it). Also, the button that pulls up option menus on Windows doesn't do anything on a Mac.

I've used 3 Apple keyboards (the old white one, the new aluminum wired one, and the new aluminum wireless one), and none were very comfortable to me since I have used much better. Even though my Logitech G19 is not really ergonomically designed, I can type an 8-10 page paper on it quickly and painlessly. I can't say the same about my Apple keyboards or my Macbook Pro's built in keyboard.

If looks don't matter so much to you as comfort, get a different brand than Apple. If you like the looks of the Apple keyboards (they are extremely good-looking), by all means go for one. You won't be disappointed unless you use it for typing large amounts of text all the time.

12. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I like the apple keyboard, but there is no real reason to buy one unless you really like it.

13. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

try to go to the apple store and test it out yourself. I, for one, love it. Its much easier for me to type on since it has a lower profile and I don't have to raise my wrists as much to type on it like I would a normal keyboard.

14. aManEatMyPhone macrumors newbie

Yesterday, I got myself a Cyborg V5 keyboard. It is the best keyboard ever!

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Amazing. I never thought I'd run into another DEC keyboard lover, and even more amazing is that I, too, really like working on the Apple keyboard (though I prefer the wired one). It's the only KB I like better than my old ones.

I liked my DEC (well, later Compaq and then finally HP) keyboards so much that I bought a handful of them to use on all my PCs. And on the rare occasion that I fire up my MBP running Hummingbird Exceed under XP, to get onto my AlphaServer, I grab the DEC keyboard so I can use the editing keypad.

A couple of months ago I took 10 of those DEC keyboards to the electronics recycling place, and was sorry to see them go. But I only need one now.

16. dixie8123 macrumors member

Buy an apple keyboard, but not from Apple. Look for a used/refurb on Amazon/Ebay and those sites. But also look around yard sales, I got a Wireless Keyboard (Apple), brand new (not one scratch/dent) for only $5, and a iPod charger cord.