Buy AW from one carrier, activate on another?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Wondering if anyone tried this. Was interested in an AW4 with Cellular. Best Buy has them for $379 that say Carrier Unlocked, but they are all out of the one I want. However, there are ones that say they are for Verizon or AT&T, which have a monthly price of $15.83/mo, but there is also an option to do a “one time payment of $379 (activate later)”. If i was to do that option, could I get the watch, and decide not to activate it at all on Verizon, and instead, activate it on T-Mobile, which is my carrier? I thought all Apple Watches were unlocked by default, so I’m not thinking they could prevent me from doing so, if I paid the full price for it, and never activate it on Verizon.

Thought?

LeeW

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
so I’m not thinking they could prevent me from doing so, if I paid the full price for it, and never activate it on Verizon.
I would agree, perhaps they are coming as a bundle and when you buy it will have Verizon details in the box for signing up with them but in reality you don't have to, more of an advertising bundle.

Really can't see how they could force you to sign up.