Buy from Apple or Verizon Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyler23, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey everyone,

thinking of buying my first iPhone today (4S), but I'm wondering where to buy it.

I currently am on a Verizon family plan, so I will be buying the iPhone to replace my current phone.

Now, will the Apple Store be able to access my existing Verizon account, and do the same things Verizon would do in terms of shifting around a few things in the account, possibly applying a phone upgrade which a phone on the plan is currently due for, or would it be best to purchase my new phone from a Verizon store?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It doesn't matter, but I'd rather deal with Apple employees than Verizon. All Verizon will do is push you to get an android, and then their insurance plan.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personal preference. I've gone to the ATT store mostly because there's less people so I can get in, buy it, and get out faster.

4. jkeith0919 macrumors member

I went with a friend to the Verizon store recently to upgrade her phone. She was actually leaning towards an Android & the Verizon employee convinced her to get an iPhone. They did offer AppleCare but did not offer AppleCare +. I personally would try the Apple Store because I don't think Verizon stores have the 4S in stock yet. It did only take my friend about 2 days to get hers but if you want one right away the Apple Store is the way to go.

5. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I've been wondering the same. I'm in the same situation: verizon, eligible for upgrade, ...)
    What about ordering over the internet ?

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Perfectly possible via Apple's website. Any option available to you should be visible when you make your order.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I just got an iPhone 4S, the Verizon store said it would take 2 weeks to get one, but the Apple store had them in stock, so I bought from Apple.

Apple people helped me set it up, guided me through the details. A much more pleasant experience than the verizon store.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I went to Verizon. They won't push yhou toward an android if you go in and say "I want an iPhone..."

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

actually, it does matter. buying from a verizon store limits the return policy window to 14 days with a restocking fee; apple's is a 30-day policy with no restocking fee.

op, if you can, buy from an apple store.

10. weintrw macrumors newbie

You can't go wrong

Apple and VZW will both do a nice job. But there are differences. All Apple stores are busy, but the clerks are friendly and knowledgeable. But they only know iPhone and offer no help for best plans. Verizon offers other phones. If you are on a family plan and one phone is not an iPhone, they are a better choice. As to pay plans, unlike Apple, they searched for discounts for me and found my employer will allow a 22% discount on hardware and parts of monthly bills. Also for me, I had two trade-ins. The clerk did the work. The offer was $55 and $200 for my phones. I checked the web and that was about $30 Less than I found on the web. BUT They only needed the phones, no battery or charger or anything. I signed up and the next day prepaid envelopes appeared and I mailed the phones and got the cards with the money on them. (Best to use to pay VZW bill) Hassle free.

The Apple store had 4S in stock, but my 4S came in 48 hrs.

You choose and you will be happy.

The last iPhone I bought at an Apple store and it was easy as pie too.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For other carriers it probably doesn't matter then. ATT has a 30 day return policy.

12. iTouchiPodz macrumors newbie

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Generally I'd say to go wherever it's more convenient but when I upgraded my iPhone at the AT&T store last month they added a whole bunch of crap to my account and I'm being billed for it.... now I need to call them :mad::mad:

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, Apple Store's don't have "direct access" to anyone's accounts. Everything they can do is via a super simple program that runs on their handhelds thats designed to make selling iPhones about as simple as possible.

The only time they can change something on your account is during the process of buying an iPhone, and is limited to changing your voice, data, and text plans. They're unable to see any specific details about your account, or change anything else (like add a corporate discount, or move upgrades between different lines of your account).

For 95% of people, the Apple Store is a great place. But if you need anything done to your account before you're eligible for an upgrade (i.e. move an upgrade from a different line), or if you have complex rate plan questions, etc, then the carrier's store is probably the best bet.

15. frostbyte32 macrumors member

I'm looking to get my first iPhone 4 or 4s in a month...I happened to stop by the phone center in Walmart and saw they had the 4 for $88 and the 4s for $188...cheaper than I saw anywhere else.

Is it not a good idea to go through them?

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, there's nothing wrong with buying an iPhone from any of the iPhone resellers: Walmart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.

17. frostbyte32 macrumors member

Thanks! I saw it was $10 cheaper and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing myself just to say $10.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When I upgraded the 4S they actually needed the rep to do what the OP is asking (that is use on upgrade and still give it to my line) even though I purchased at an Apple store. I think all the Apple store employee is able to do is use the upgrade. From there you would still need to either call Verizon or go in to verizon to get that newly activated data plan off the line and reactivate the phone that was originally on the line which had the upgrade you were using.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, when I worked at Apple, that was pretty common to see after iPhone launches (when Verizon and AT&T stores didn't have them in stock, but the Apple Store did). :)