Buy Imac 27" now or wait more?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by harruda, Aug 14, 2013.

1. harruda macrumors newbie

I am thinking on buying a Imac 27" soon, but dont know if i should wait a litle bit longer, i hear something about haswell.

It´s over 3500 €, so want to make a good buy.

Do you know if a US apple imac works well in portugal, just need a converter because of the diferent volts.

Thanks for any reply.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm pretty sure that the Mac will work out of the box without the need for a voltage converter, but I'd check that with Apple.

Rumours are rife about Haswell and the iMac, but IMO, I doubt that we will see a refresh this year, but that's only a guess.:)

3. zerozoneice macrumors regular

it will work out of the box, all you need is a socket connector adapter if you want to use the original white power cable. Otherwise any power cable (PC) will work.

Get a refurbished iMac now or wait for Haswell refresh

4. Serban Suspended

yes, get a refurbish or, wait like me, for the haswell update

5. harruda thread starter macrumors newbie

how long do you guys thinks it will take the update?

6. Serban Suspended

7. historyteacher macrumors member

I grabbed a refurb a couple of weeks ago. That savings, plus tax free made it an easy call for me. Couldn't be happier. Sweet computer. I would just say it comes down to cash. If money is no option as it is such with some then wait and get the latest and greatest. But there are some great deals right now that it is getting close to a year for the machines being out.

Good luck!

8. henry72, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I really want to get a refurb too but they don't have the spec like Fusion Drive and 680MX. Actually, New Zealand doesn't have any refurb 27" 2012 models lol

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

10. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

No one other than Apple, knows for sure, but a 'quiet' update in the fall, is a good possibility. They'll want to add Haswell and 802.11ac to the iMac line-up, for the holiday shopping season, as a design overhaul is not in the cards, anytime soon.

11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

By now if you need one now.... otherwise wait a bit.

Operating requirements (from the Apple website):

Line voltage: 100-240V AC
    Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

12. historyteacher macrumors member

I hear that. Luckily for my needs I only needed a base model, probably a little harder to come by the big bad boy you are looking for.

13. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Get a Mac Mini with nice monitor and save $$$

I had a IMac and was glad when it sold

14. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi, keeping up with technology is always a challenge,
    If you have an urgent need, as I did, had a bunch of full CF cards and no computer, have 6 TB of images for cataloging,
    I pulled the trigger, I need a computer now
    You pretty much know what the new changes will bring eventually, if those changes are a necessity, wait, if not , buy now
    ....Gary

15. jonathanbruce macrumors member

I have been reading all the posts on this as well. It has been almost a year since the current design was announced. I am also pondering about an iMac as well since I am rapidly losing patience with Windows now.
    Most of my colleagues now have Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs, iMacs and MacPros of varying specs and not one is more than 18months old.
    I am tempted also to go for the 27" version and buy it with an SSD or Fusion drive.:apple:

So I am keen to find out more about updates before I commit to anything especially since I have just updated my PC spec. I am prepared to wait...the longer I wait the more money I can save towards it!:cool:

16. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I can never understand why people need to justify wanting something by blaming something else as the reason. Although I have an iMac I also recognise that Windows does a perfectly good and competent job. Why I even have it installed as a VM.

If you want a Mac then fine, just get one without all the angst about Windows etc.

As for buying now or waiting. I bought mine in 2011 and it still does the job it was bought for perfectly well, despite more recent iterations. Any Mac you buy now will do its job for years to come.

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Most of users out there hate Windows computer because it's too mainstream. They get bored and also want to be "different" .. That's what humans really are.

Getting older made me wiser though. 6 years for being a Mac using and come to think of it .. there is almost none of the things Windows computer cannot do which a Mac can.
    Think of it the other way around .. hmm .. you would find many answers. :D

18. Bear macrumors G3

While I might be able to do everything on Windows (with different software) that I can do on OS X, it wouldn't be as clean nor as easy. Some things just work better on OS X.

I buy Macs because OS X does lot better job of handing the tasks I use a computer for.

19. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I think we need a translator.

20. KaraH macrumors 6502

Nice idea but there are tradeoffs. No discrete GPU is a big one.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Correction done. Thanks Mr. Police.

22. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

It's not a matter of corrections, Mr Criminal ;-)

It's the fact that I couldn't understand what on earth you meant. I guess English is not your first language, so I do not mean to be critical, I just couldn't understand you.

If you had said, "there are very few things a Mac can do, that a Windows machine cannot do", it would have been more clear.

23. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

iMac is many light years ahead of PC ...no point of discussion. The only matter is the low quality control in China which drives most of the customers to buy an extended warranty to avoid troubles in the near future.....but Apple should have taken care of this issue, this is my opinion.

Maybe, 2012 iMac 21.5 inch are better manufactured, not many quality issues...

2013-2014 iMac 27 inch and 21.5 inch will have some new components installed but low QC will remain a major issue!

24. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

wife just bought me a 2011 model from FNAC last wee, was an ex display model 27 inch 3.1 ghz i5. she only went to buy a printer cartridge :eek:

in madeira the base level 21 inch 2.7ghz is 1400 euro, top of the range is €2200 but this old model was €1400 :cool:

25. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

please let me understand you better, does your wife have any idea what iMac is? She may want to please you buying a cheap old model while your dreams are hungry with a 2013 (or beyond) fresh iMac.....poor boy!