Buy IMac Now or After Lion Release

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by planoray, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. planoray macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    #1
    I am going to buy an IMac online. Do I order it now and get the free upgrade when Lion is released? Or do I wait so I can have Apple send it to me with a fresh Lion install? Does it matter?

    Thanks
     
  2. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #2
    I would just order it after Lion is announced.
     
  3. 03jcrhr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    #3
    Buy it now. The first release of Lion is likely to be buggy so you can wait a bit after it comes out for these to be ironed out - plus you get it earlier
     
  4. Sodner macrumors 68020

    Sodner

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #4
    No reason NOT to get it now. You'll get you iMac sooner and you'll get a free update to Lion once it's released. Buy!!!
     
  5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #5
    If you can wait a week or two then I suggest doing that. Life will be easier if you can just plugin your new computer and do your thing instead of spending time....
     
  6. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #6
    I'd get your iMac now and get Lion as a free upgrade.
     
  7. davegoody macrumors 6502

    davegoody

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    Reading, Berkshire, England
    #7
    Get it now

    Normally I would say wait, but as the iMacs have only just been updated, you may as well have fun with it for a few days, the Lion upgrade is painless and very quick (assuming you have a decent connection to D/L the upgrade) and it, in typical Apple fashion, just works.

    I am running the GM and it is very nice, boot time is quicker, gestures are awesome (and second nature already, when I go back to my production MacPro and Magic Trackpad, running SL, it seems clunky already !

    Go for it.
     
  8. sauobeatbath macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    #8
    Probably Not. Buying a mac before lion is released will probably have snow leopard. and if a mac ever does come with lion now, it'll probably be beta.
     
  9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

    Kebabselector

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #9
    Chances are if it comes out next week you'd probably need to wait another week or so before all the shop inventory is replaced with native lion installed iMacs. You might as well get it now and upgrade in a few weeks time.
     
  10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #10
    The advantage of buying now is that you will receive BOTH the Snow Leopard AND the Lion OS's (free upgrade to Lion if you wish).

    You may find it valuable to have Snow Leopard around, even if you upgrade to Lion shortly afterwards. Particularly if you encounter an app that requires "Rosetta" to run (which Lion doesn't have).
     
  11. OneMike macrumors 603

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #11
    I'd just buy now. It's not like you're going to see new hardware when lion is released.
     
  12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    #12
    This. Buy now and get stable Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Then wait for Lion 10.7.1 to iron out all the bugs found at release :)
     

Share This Page