Buy Imac now or wait..??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sirio, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. sirio macrumors newbie

    Mar 22, 2012
    so after the Iphone 5 (thunderstorm) do you guys think its going to be another product coming out or do we need to wait 2013 for seeing an update for the Imac after 500 days with no refresh.. Been waiting for 3 months already lost all the hopes of seeing a new Imac before 2013..!!
    and if it come out is it going to be that much difference from the model we got now..?? is it going to be a new design..??
  2. marvz macrumors 6502a


    Aug 27, 2012
    Wait till the end of october!
    No major redesign but probably a smaller bezel under the display + same display tech you see at the 15'' rMBP -> reduced glare
    Also I think there will be more precise news in the next few weeks.
  3. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2012
    Imola (BO) - Italy
    Wait until the next iMac comes out ... even if it was in 2014 !!! You don't need it right now, I know you don't ... wait !!!
  4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Oct 14, 2011
    Thunderstorm? More like Category 5 hurricane :p

    I'd say give it one more month. After that, either buy then or wait unitl spring/summer 2013.
  5. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

    Mar 28, 2011
    I vote for wait. Still find it weird that retailers like Amazon have had no stock for days. I'm guessing the target date will fall in mid to late October, but we'll see.
  6. david19801 macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2012
    The next imac will be early 2013. It will be a major refresh.

    Can you wait?
  7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2012
    if until early november there is no sign of a new imac, you should buy the current imac.
  8. JnDRader macrumors regular

    Mar 18, 2008
    I agree.

    It's a little frustrating but you can end up waiting a long time. I bought last month knowing there was a good chance they'd do a refresh late this year. But I refused to wait longer than I already had, only to end up waiting longer because the refresh didn't happen as "expected."
  9. robster2644 macrumors newbie

    Jun 6, 2012
    Go ahead and buy, Its more than likely going to be late 2013 or early 2014. Spend the money now and re-sell if a new one comes out. theres always someone looking for a cheaper option to something new, this is what I have done. ebay it
  10. CWallace macrumors 603


    Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I'd recommend you wait a bit if you can, since multiple reports say that a new iMac is coming out soon. That being said, if you intend to get the 27" version, there may be an additional delay as Apple is rumored to be having issues with that display (I expect the display is bonded like the rMBP).
  11. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000


    May 17, 2012
    He who hesitates is lost. Want one now? Stop fretting and start enjoying.
  12. iTouch macrumors 6502

    Sep 12, 2007
    Just bought the mid level iMac 27" from Amazon before the CA tax kicks in. Was using a Macbook Pro and 24" Dell. I was just too tired of waiting plus I upgrade my Macs every year.
  13. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502


    Dec 30, 2009
    Blainville, Province of Quebec
    If you don't need it now wait

    Back in 2009, I wanted really bad to buy a quad core iMac that did not exist at the time, so in late september of that year I got frustrated of waiting and bought a freakingly powerful pc.

    Than a few weeks later THE iMac with all I wanted came out, so a couple of weeks later I sold the PC (losing 600$) then bought the iMac. I should have waited.

    If you can get by without a new iMac right away , you should wait a couple of months, it is more than likely coming out before christmas, but if you need it right now, the present iMac is already an amazing machine.

    My current iMac is the late 2009 model and I have yet to stumble onto something it cannot do.

    So, do you need it right now?
  14. iSayuSay macrumors 68040


    Feb 6, 2011
    If you wait this far, then wait again for a little longer and give up, just go buy current one is just too sad.

    If you want to give in, do it ASAP, why delay the pain for later. It will be all but more pain to bear.
    Buy current iMac only on hefty discount, on refurb, BB, Amazon it's quite easy to get a great deal of current iMac.

    Don't just wait and give up later anyway. Buy now or wait till whenever it's necessary.
  15. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a


    Apr 28, 2011
    I am in the extreme side of the "wait" camp. I would go one further and tell you to not only wait to buy it, but do not buy it at all for the current asking price vs the current spec.

    If you *need* a mac. Absolutely need one, you're better off buying a refurb at this point.
  16. freedevil macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2007
    Buy when you need it. Think about this. You may buy it finally in November and next year the retina comes out with a redesign or just a redesign. You'll again be in the unhappy campers list. I don't know why people ask if one should wait or buy. Make a choice, go live your life.
  17. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

    Feb 5, 2012
    Did you replace your MBP setup with the iMac completely?

    If so, what didn't you like about it? I'm curious since I'm thinking about replacing my tower with a MBP and TBD combo.
  18. iTouch macrumors 6502

    Sep 12, 2007
    I guess it had to do with the Dell monitor. Had too many wake issues. It was not responsive when I turned the monitor off. I always leave my computer on. It just became an issue. Had to turn off the computer, restart etc. I will use the 24" for my Xbox 360, PS3, and soon Wii U.
  19. Baphomet macrumors member


    Apr 7, 2012
    Please wait! I am waiting for more than 9 month now, for the new IMac, and as it looks like, one more month...
  20. Tankmaze macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2012
    Because october launch seems to be imminent. I already bought my imac on june after wwdc, but if anyone already wait this far might as well wait a couple of weeks to find out.

    apple would never release anything past october within the year, but I recall on november 2007 they've updated the MBP and none after that.
    and the earliest within the year to launch a product is in february. if apple want to wait for haswell, it should come on april 2013. if there is any delay from intel it could come to imacs on june/july 2013.

    I agree with what you're saying, either you wait till whenever or buy now. but again looking at what apple have done, the new imac is coming, so few more weeks won't hurt.

    so when november comes there is still no new imac, you can either buy the current one or wait until february for the earliest.
  21. MBPiPTiMiP4S macrumors member


    Sep 5, 2012
    I had to buy one now due to my school needs. I maxed out an 27 inch model but only with 4GB ram. Going to add 8 or 16 soon. It you need it now, but it.
  22. meaty macrumors member

    Feb 27, 2011
    bought the 2011 21.5 base on craigslist for $800..very happy with my purchase :)
  23. lugworm macrumors 6502


    Apr 4, 2011
    Wait till the end of October/November/ December/ January/February.....

    Can you see a pattern here ?

    No one on this forum knows when the refresh will come, but so many are happy to throw random dates around as if they know something.
  24. segovius macrumors regular


    Sep 18, 2006
    Barcelona / Berlin
    He's never early, he's always late
    First thing that you learn is that you always got to wait....
  25. 49JC macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2010
    If waiting is even an option u don't need it right now at the moment. Just wait til October and consider ur options then if apple fails to provide an update.

Share This Page