Buy iPad 2 or consider waiting for iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waltonmark, Jun 19, 2011.

1. waltonmark macrumors newbie

Hi

I currently own a 2010 iMac 27" and an iphone 4. I have just sold my macbook and want to purchase an iPad.

Basically do i purchase the iPad 2 now or should i wait for the 3?

Any suggestions?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

the 3 is a good while away... if you sold your macbook you'll probably need a portable computer. unless your iPhone works fine for that. Buy the 2 now, and if you want the 3 when it comes out you can sell the 2

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

perhaps if your patient you should wait for the Ipad 4, I hear that's going to kick some serious ass!

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

All decisions like this can be measured on "opportunity cost."

In this instance is the cost (inconvenience) of waiting 6 months or so until the iPad3 for you greater that the cost (lack of features/emotional turmoil) in 2-3 years when the iPad3 can upgrade to iOS7 (or what ever it's called) and the iPad 2 can't).

Completely an individual decision.

I myself replace my iPhone on a every second model cycle, and will likely do so for the iPad. My desktop macs I plan that they will likely need upgrade every 3 years (depending on how many I own at a time, they get rotated like a shop would stock, and I've done this with at least 15-20 macs over the years)

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

The question you should be asking yourself here is, do I really need an iPad? ;)

6. macrat macrumors regular

The iPad 3 will likely have the retina display, better camera, and faster processor/longer battery life. But so what. It is a long 6 months away, at least.

When they roll out the iOS 5 in the fall it will be another wave of excitement for iPads as the new features will be showcased in new apps and upgrades of already great apps at the store. For example, the new improved AirPlay feature has so much potential that your 55 -65 inch HDTV can literally become an extended monitor for your iPad! Who needs retina display!

I also have an iMac 27 and a Macbook and I can tell you that the iPad 2 is a lot more fun, more useful, and way more convenient that I have ever imagined. I haven't used my Macbook ever since my wife gave me the iPad 2 as an early Father's Day gift.:D

Get it already!

7. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Plus the fact that it will probably be 9 months until the new one, rather than 6. The iPad 2 is still fresh. Get it now and enjoy it.

8. aleni macrumors 68020

buy iPad 2 now and enjoy it, by the time iPad 3 is released, sell the iPad 2 and accept the loss of money as a rent fee and less stressfull days thinking about the iPad all day long.

9. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

No one knows when iPad 3 will be released. If you have the need for it, get it else save your money.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. megsandbytes macrumors member

I'm hoping it also comes equipped with built-in hardware that is compatible with Qi-enabled inductive chargers so it can be recharged wirelessly like the iPhone 4.

12. mwheeler609 macrumors member

mwheeler609

I was on the fence a few times, ordered an iPad 2, cancelled the order when it was 3-4 weeks wait, then looked in stores, then reordered on 2-3 weeks, then cancelled, now though about just getting the ipad 1 refurb, but walmart has plenty ipad 2's now that I want, so i'm grabbing one this week. ipad 3 will come someday and if i want to that bad i'll sell the 2

13. tobyfarmer macrumors newbie

A good way to describe the iPad is a jack of all trades. It's a great device, if you have uses for it. I would get the iPad 2 now. When the iPad 2 came out, iPad "1"s were still selling strong at a reasonable price. However if the iPad 3 turns out to be a major change, unlike the iPad 2 in relation to the iPad "1", the sale price of the outdated iPad 2 might not be as good as the first iPad. Hope that makes sense.

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I only buy Apple revisions in prime numbers...

15. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i'd wait for the ipad 3 in hopes of retina display.

that was the deal breaker for me on the ipad 2

16. Mazenat macrumors member

17. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Wait for the iPad 4, I hear it will be even better than the 3!!

;)

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Get an iPad2 now, enjoy it. And start saving for iPad3.

I kept my iPad1 in good shape and got 50% back when sold to a colleague.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Best advice yet. There will always be something better on the horizon.

The decision boils down to whether the value of owning/using the current model between now and when you can buy the next model exceeds to the cost of ownership of the current model (price less guessed resale).

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Get it. It's every bit as cool as you're imagining it is. Actually, even more so. I use it way more than I thought I would.

21. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

3? why not wait for the 8? this is ridiculous, if you want one now - buy it. if you don't, the answer is obvious.

22. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Consider waiting for iPad 3, then make up your mind. ;)

23. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yep, you can only play the waiting game for so long. The iPad 2 is fantastic and I doubt we will see a jump as significant as we saw when we transitioned from the 1 to the 2 when the 3 comes out. The second gen iPad is relatively new and honestly, it's what there is, if you want it, buy it. No point waiting forever if you want one.

24. aneftp macrumors 601

There isn't a huge jump from iPad 1 to iPad 2. Same screen size/resolution. All Apple added was a crappy front and back cameras and new processors. Sure iPad 2 is faster but if one has an ipad 1...the ipad 2 isn't worth the upgrade unless you sold your ipad 1 for money to cover some of the "upgrade cost".

In terms of iPad 3...we don't know much but it will be worth the upgrade if someone is using ipad 1.

But getting back to the user's question. If the user does not own an iPad and considering getting an ipad 2. Than the answer is simple. Buy the iPad 2 NOW instead of thinking about it. It's been out for only 3 months. I doubt Apple will update the iPad 2 this year.

Could they introduce something smaller (like 7 inch screen later this year?). Possibly. But the iPad 2 in it's current screen size will most likely not be updated until early 2012.

25. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Are you serious? Apple went from a single core A4 to a dual core A5, and thus multiplied not only processing powers but also cores, made multitasking much easier and saves on battery life plus the obvious performance gain. Graphics also experienced a 9 times faster upgrade. Crappy front and back cameras? That's the main reason most people are changing from iPad 1 to 2, I use facetime very frequently.