Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
The iPad 3 that I and nearly all my friends have has been incredibly bug free & reliable.

Well, I have an iPad 3 and generally agree, even though app crashing happens sometimes.

I would love to see something similar to S-Pen on future devices. Using your finger to draw things as an option is fine, but reminds me a bit on how we did stuff in kindergarten. And please faster touch scanning!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think iPad4 is just a little far off to be thinking about. It's 6 or 7 months away.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wait for iPad 5 or 6.

This, at this point what more do you need out of a tablet thats not already in place? How much faster do you really need a ipad to be? How many megaPix do you really want and need on a tablet? How many more added hardware features will you really use? Apple mobile products are at a point now where its all about the software (ios). If anything the concern should be more directed toward how long the ipad 3 will support the latest ios?

IMO the ipad3 fixed all the short comings of the previous units and as a result is vertually the perfect tablet for consumer use (the reason I held out on tablets until the ipad3). At this point its all about software, software, software.......

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I have never owned a tablet. I'm a university student and while most people would recommend buying a laptop (for example a Macbook Air 11") for taking lecture notes etc., I think that laptops cannot match the price and the compact size of a tablet -- I cannot understand why some people recommend buying a Macbook Air instead of a tablet when it's over twice as expensive. It seems practical to me to connect a tablet to a keyboard and use it in lectures and then, when surfing or watching a movie when travelling, using just the tablet.

I was going to buy iPad 3 but resisted temptation because the arguments against it won me over. The talk about Apple risking "plan B" in using Retina without having the technology to deal with heat and size issues sounded logical: many people complain about iPad 3's heat issues and, while not heavy or bulky, it could be a bit lighter. I'm not a "buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell" guy like many are and when I buy something, I stick with it for several years. While I'm sure iPad 4 will have negative feedback and while I realize I'm losing about six months of iPad-usage, I will wait.

As for iPad Mini, I like the idea of it but, having seen smaller tablets, I don't think it would be a good note-taking device -- the screen is too small.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Pretty sure he's talking about camera flash.

Or flash memory, who knows :)

----------

If you can wait, iPad is not exactly something that you can need. New iPad has great screen and is powerful but is thicker, heavier, power hungrier and charge slower than iPad 2 did. With the next iPad you will have retina display, lightining connector, thinnes and lightness. I had iPad 1 and it was thick/heavy (for me), 2 was perfect, 3 is heavy again 4 will not be.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've been thinking of getting the new ipad but in the next coming months speculation of the ipad 4 will probably start hitting the web so should i wait or pick one up now?

It's early Autumn and the iPad 4 is released at least in no earlier than seven months (more than half a year). That is, go for the iPad 3, don't wait.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
This, at this point what more do you need out of a tablet thats not already in place? How much faster do you really need a ipad to be? How many megaPix do you really want and need on a tablet? How many more added hardware features will you really use? Apple mobile products are at a point now where its all about the software (ios). If anything the concern should be more directed toward how long the ipad 3 will support the latest ios?

I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
get one now, sell it and buy the new one in 7 or 8 months
Good idea.

You'll probably lose like a hundred dollars but I plan on selling mine too. Worth it IMO.

----------

The good thing about upgrading is that as a hardcore you get the early leak info and can make a solid decision from there. I'd be happy to upgrade if they go quad core, lighter, and better battery life.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Nahh I saw the sarcasm, I just wanted to use the sarcasm to show how its not always worth being consumed with the whole 'should I wait for the next ipad' thing, thats all. We good here.

----------

----------

[/COLOR]The good thing about upgrading is that as a hardcore you get the early leak info and can make a solid decision from there. I'd be happy to upgrade if they go quad core, lighter, and better battery life.

Are you a heavy user, i.e. movies, gaming and such, use it for work?
Just trying to understand why and where a person would really benefit from such upgrades thats all. I watch Netflix, and download pdf documents constantly and I have absolutely no issues doing that, everything runs just fine.

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I wouldn't wait, I'd definitely buy The new iPad. As per many resources, upcoming iPad will be presented in approximately 6 months. 6 months without iPad, man, you know you have to buy it NOW :D

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Wait for the iPad 9.....it will be better than the 8, 7, 6, 5,4.......

definitely broken lol...

Actually saw and messed with a ipad 3 last night at work.. The screen is Amazing.. i only played "Temple Run" and the grahics where nice and crisp with no hiccups// Even the screen saver was great looking..

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

definitely broken lol...

Actually saw and messed with a ipad 3 last night at work.. The screen is Amazing.. i only played "Temple Run" and the grahics where nice and crisp with no hiccups// Even the screen saver was great looking..

Exactly, I like the large screen as well. I can't imagine reading a book or manuscript on a 7 inch tablet. I have tried to do that with other brands the screen is just too small for my eyes. The iPod 3 is great in my opinion!

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Unless you have an iPhone 5, or bought other devices that use lightning, I really don't think it's a great idea to wait for a new iPad that won't be significantly better than the current model. It depends on how much you're going to use the iPad though, but if its something you'll use a lot, there's no good reason to wait 6 months. If push comes to shove, sell your "old" iPad in march for $250 or so and buy a new one.

If you don't already own an iPhone, you might be fine with a 16gb model. Apps can take up a lot more memory than you think, though, as does videos. I bought a 32gb iPad and started to regret it until iOS 6 came out and I realized how much space all my apps/pics/etc. took up. I didn't load movies on this thing like I planned but I still have barely 15gb free. And I don't have many games installed.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Buy now, because the world is going to end in 2012!!!!!
Jkjk hehe. Honestly though, get it now if you really need it. If not, play with what you have now and wait for Apple's first Christmas of the year (iPad event.)

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I would wait for the iPad 4. I like another poster here have the iPad 1. After seeing the A6 processor's performance I'd like to have something like that in the iPad 4 plus the better Wifi. My only complaints about the iPad 1 is the fact I don't have a gyroscope and its slow when surfing the net.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Buy now, because the world is going to end in 2012!!!!!
Jkjk hehe. Honestly though, get it now if you really need it. If not, play with what you have now and wait for Apple's first Christmas of the year (iPad event.)

:eek: Yes ! The Bible Calls it Armagedon !! Which means end of all things...So when nothing is left so will not be anybody's desire to have the most...most...most latest iPad with the most...most...most Technologically advanced features !! God save the world ! :D

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
In fact no matter what people tell you, you will do the same: wait until you can't wait, and then buy the one that is immediately available. You are asking now, because you still can wait... But while you are anxiously waiting, it is good to have a place like this to talk about it, to distract some of your anxiety...

ba990016

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I've heard rumors that Apple would release a new edition of New Ipad on October 5th, which would solve the issues of weight and heat, anyone also has heard about it?

If it's true, waiting until then might be a better choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.